mynas, starlings and sparrows...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

princessparrot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have heaps(hundreds
shocked.gif
) of indian mynas, starlings and house sparrows living in my yard and breeding in my bamboo.
should I tell anyone about them ( I know they can be a threat to natives) or should I just leave them?

thanks

they also always come up for my dogs food
tongue.gif

their numbers just keep increasing and im wondering if I should do something:rolleyes:

None of those species are declared pests so you have no obligation to report nor anybody you can report them too that would have a directive to handle them. There are several 'Mynah trapping groups" that may be happy to help and if you catch any pied, cinnamon or other morphs amongst them let me know asap and you can earn some pocket money while you are at it.

I have heaps(hundreds
shocked.gif
) of indian mynas, starlings and house sparrows living in my yard and breeding in my bamboo.
should I tell anyone about them ( I know they can be a threat to natives) or should I just leave them?

thanks

they also always come up for my dogs food
tongue.gif

their numbers just keep increasing and im wondering if I should do something:rolleyes:
One of the biggest reasons for population explosions of pest birds is the availablity of food. Perhaps you could cover the dog food or only feed your dog what he can eat. Apart from wasting the dog food the pest species thrive on it whereas natives generally dont want dog food and so the pest species displace the local natives. The advantage is that the pests are trained to eat dogfood and so should be easy to trap but as long as the food and environment suits them then they will probably breed up again.

yeah, I knew/thought sparrows were ok and mynas were a no no, just I know in some places(Tas I think..) they want u to report any mynas. I know it would be ok if there was just a few but there are HEAPS! as much as I love birds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back