Good Cameras For Filming Small Scopions and verts in HD

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaReptileBoy

Reaction score
hey guys
i was wondering if any1 new a good camera for someone on a budget good for filming small animals and things and being able to zoom while filming

What budget are we talking? $500, $1000 or less than that?

You can get a nice Cannon or Nikon for $500-700 with a few lenses included. Then work your way up. Macro lenses can, (not saying you won't find a deal), run a $1000 or better. You can get a pretty decent macro combo for much less than that.

Do a lil research, pick a few that you think would be what you want then I'm sure you will have much more in depth help.

Cameras are like cars and snakes. Ask what's better, Fords or Chevy's and you will get 10 for Ford, 10 for Chevy and 5 diehard Dodge fans. Same goes for snakes. :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mate go for the canon 7d it is cheap now and a great camera. Gives you higher frame rates also for nice slow mo stuff.
Get yourself a good macro lens and you will be snapping some hot shots!

mate go for the canon 7d it is cheap now and a great camera. Gives you higher frame rates also for nice slow mo stuff.
cheers can you film with it?

I think my mum has one of those im looking for a good camera for filming for my youtube channel

Some of the small point and shoot compacts have very good macro capabilities and pretty good video. They also have an advantage of having a smaller sensor which means you get better depth of field (more in focus) in your images. On a low budget these may be a better choice. A DSLR with a dedicated macro and lights is going to cost quite a bit of coin. All depends on how serious you want to get and your budget. You don't need big expensive cameras to make great little films; content is king!

I can't comment on the video but with photo's its all about your knowledge of the camera. I worked out how to use my camera pretty well and my photo's of tiny things come out pretty clear!

Here's some photo's I've taken with a cheap point and shoot digital camera with only 6.1MP.

These scorpions are about the size of a 5c coin as shown in the first pic...
16131_214386506267_6050223_n.jpg

16131_214386491267_1683365_n.jpg

16131_214386516267_6658239_n.jpg

Centipede (10ish cm long)
16131_207662361267_1601973_n.jpg

Larger scorpions tail
16131_214386571267_6473513_n.jpg

Cockroach
389055_10150369510911268_1291681046_n.jpg

If your budget doesn't extend to a DSLR then don't worry... as you can see you can get even really good results with a close to 8 year old digital camera. It's all about learning how to use the camera you have. A DSLR may be very difficult to get right for ages too. I know when I've tried to use one it hasn't worked out too well because I need more time with one.

as you can see you can get even really good results with a close to 8 year old digital camera. It's all about learning how to use the camera you have.

some great examples there silverbeast, the one of the moulting centipede is particularly fascinating.

I would add if you are going with a compact camera, try and get one with some manual controls

I stayed up all night for three nights waiting for the damn thing to moult! It was worth it though! I couldn't believe my eyes when it came out purple. It returned to the dullish green/olive within a day or two though.

To add to what I said as well, the best method I've found isn't to get right up close, its to use the optical zoom to your advantage, focus on the small object from further away then zoom in to it. You just need to understand focal points to understand how close you can get with your camera.

I stayed up all night for three nights waiting for the damn thing to moult! It was worth it though! I couldn't believe my eyes when it came out purple. It returned to the dullish green/olive within a day or two though.

To add to what I said as well, the best method I've found isn't to get right up close, its to use the optical zoom to your advantage, focus on the small object from further away then zoom in to it. You just need to understand focal points to understand how close you can get with your camera.
yea my camera wont focus on small things and when i film the video stopes randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back