Major pet supplier out of crickets !!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've bought plenty of crickets from pet stores with an old, withered piece of carrot and parts of the egg carton eaten away. But whatever.

Hence why I said "fresh". It's a mistake on your part buying something which you yourself recognise as not being fresh.

Hence why I said "fresh". It's a mistake on your part buying something which you yourself recognise as not being fresh.

When you have a hungry reptile and one pet store within 100 kms you buy what you can and feed them fresh stuff at home before giving them to your animal. Regardless they had still eaten the cardboard and I never mentioned they were fresh, obviously they weren't. I rarely see 'fresh' crickets at the local pet store here. It was a general bagging of pet stores mostly due to bad experiences like this I've had. Not to be critiqued so deeply.

Perhaps we the consumer should ask the pet industry to bring in mandatory "boxed" and use by dates on all live insect products.

I read all of your posts and understand what you are saying in them but still cannot see how a temperature that is low enough to kill a cricket can also extend its life. Are you trying to say that there is a temperature just above what will kill them that will prolong their life as they will not be expending energy but this temperature is below the ideal breeding temperature?

Yes. So there would be a temperature range, 'very cold' would kill all (less than say 0 celcius), 'cold' would kill most but not all (0-10 celcius), 'cool' (10-20) would be adequate temperature (where you would expect to see the crickets living longer), warm to hot would be ideal range (20-35), and on the upper side of that range you would get the most prolific breeders.

This is my opinion.

Just when I thought I'd seen everything on here, along comes a debate on cricket temps. :)

Just for the record, I go through thousands of crickets and woodies. None are kept at specific temps but are kept on top of enclosures for "some" heat. They seem to eat a lot of carrot too! ;)

If i get pieces crickets from my local petstock and they are fresh in (tuesday and thursday) i have no problems with quaility of the crickets, buy them on a sunday/monday and they have started dying and carrots are mouldy or dry.

Check with your local stores for what days they recieve them so you can pick up fresh (straight from breeders), the boxes for them are only a holding container and not a proper setup (can expect deaths).

Rick

been breeding 90% of my feeders for last few years...
might want to consider it...

First thing I do when get my crickets home is
- toss the carrot in the tubs out and replace it with fresh carrot
- remove any sick or dead crickets
- swap over to a clean empty tub with clean egg holders and fresh carrot if I find any little flies or magots in the tub.

I keep my crickets in the tubs but in a cardboard box in the same room as the lizards and replace the carrot every 3 or 4 days.

First thing I do with my mealworms when I get them home is extract the healthy ones from the bedding they come in and put them in larger tub with some fresh wheatbran and I give them some carrot.
Again I keep them the same box as the tubs of crickets.

Had no problem buying another 8 tubs of medium Piscus crickets from my local PB this afternoon. (Only found 2 tubs infested with little flies, and only found 4 dead crickets (total).

Last edited:
First thing I do when get my crickets home is
- toss the carrot in the tubs out and replace it with fresh carrot
- remove any sick or dead crickets
- swap over to a clean empty tub with clean egg holders and fresh carrot if I find any little flies or magots in the tub.

I keep my crickets in the tubs but in a cardboard box in the same room as the lizards and replace the carrot every 3 or 4 days.

First thing I do with my mealworms when I get them home is extract the healthy ones from the bedding they come in and put them in larger tub with some fresh wheatbran and I give them some carrot.
Again I keep them the same box as the tubs of crickets.

Had no problem buying another 8 tubs of medium Piscus crickets from my local PB this afternoon. (Only found 2 tubs infested with little flies, and only found 4 dead crickets (total).

If you are buying 8 tubs who should consider buying in bulk.

Yes. So there would be a temperature range, 'very cold' would kill all (less than say 0 celcius), 'cold' would kill most but not all (0-10 celcius), 'cool' (10-20) would be adequate temperature (where you would expect to see the crickets living longer), warm to hot would be ideal range (20-35), and on the upper side of that range you would get the most prolific breeders.

This is my opinion.
Thanks for that , I knew it wouldn't have been how it sounded.

I heat my crickets the same as most of my reptiles. Big tub, heat cord at one end so that a thermal gradient is present. If they want to get warm they can. If they want to cool down they can.

As well as carrot mine get fed dry dog food and leafy greens. I never feed straight from purchase but always feed them for a day or two before harvesting.

I buy in bulk on average very three weeks and still have healthy crickets at the three week end if they haven't been fed off.

Rarely if ever have deaths.

I get mine from personal pet services in bulk most times and there are usually more than are stated on the side of the box. Generally healthy crickets but there are always small spiders in with them. Not a problem for me as scaly foots love spiders.

I have used livefoods unlimited and their product is always top notch, never seen a pest species present, just not convenient for me.

Pisces I use when i am slack and havent put an order in. As mentioned lots of pest species and unless you get them when they first come in the door you need to closely check each tub before buying. Pisces are by far the largest of the suppliers up here and supply the most number of customers meaning that the logistics of supply create their own challenges. With the smaller suppliers the crickets are generally packed, shipped and received that day. With Pisces they may be packed a day or two before. Then add in time with a courier in a hot or cold van ( depending upon season)and you end up with a product that is not 100%. The same issues are present with other suppliers but seem to not be as common.

I know Pisces would love to supply a perfect product but it doesn't always work out that way.

Even if suppliers landed a perfect product into a store you are still stuck with the conditions in store. Rarely do shops set up their crickets/ feeders in optimum conditions.

Moral of the story is find out when the delivery arrives and grab them within a few hours of them getting there or get them delivered in bulk direct to you if possible.

Set up a specific large tub ( with heating if needed) for them when you get home and they can go through the rest of their life cycle in there if needed providing you with feeders in perfect health for your critters.

I breed my own mealworms, giant mealworms and woodies so don't need to purchase them. Crickets are a bit fiddlier to breed and raise so I don't bother as a rule unless I want pinheads for some reason.

If you are buying 8 tubs who should consider buying in bulk.

I have checked out bulk buying my crickets by mailorder but the postage and handling charges are a deal killer for my required orders. Cheaper for me to drive a few km and buy them in tubs.

I have checked out bulk buying my crickets by mailorder but the postage and handling charges are a deal killer for my required orders. Cheaper for me to drive a few km and buy them in tubs.

What company was that with? I think the frog ARC is $9 for postage.

Rick

If you are in Sydney then Biosupplies couriers them fresh to your door within a few hours. If you buy a bulk of say mediums then you'll have a supply over a period of time as long as you keep them properly so they grow.

yes there is bio supplies at bankstown near the water tower rookwood rd tell them your from a retile club small tubs up to bulk all sizes they post out

bio supplies near water tower bankstown yagoona rd from tubs to bulk they post as well

What company was that with? I think the frog ARC is $9 for postage.

Rick
I've bought insects of them before, took 5 days to get here. So not good , I'd need express post (expensive) and I've had poor experiences with the local courier companies.

Having the insects shipped to me is not worth my bother. Easier to go and buy from PB.

I get my crickets for $5 / tub when I buy several tubs at a time.

I've bought insects of them before, took 5 days to get here. So not good , I'd need express post (expensive) and I've had poor experiences with the local courier companies.

Having the insects shipped to me is not worth my bother. Easier to go and buy from PB.

I get my crickets for $5 / tub when I buy several tubs at a time.

Where are you located? Im in adelaide and recieve them on a wednesday, they express post all orders not in vic.

I buy bulk packs for $33 an $9 post, $41 for 800 crickets is pretty good price (around 5c each). Local pet shop do 3 packs (40 each, including a few dead) for $12, thats $36 for 360.

Petshops even with pack bundles are expensive, bulk buying is great value for money.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back