Glass or Perspex???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craigo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm currently building a new enclosure for my jungle.
its made from melamine and is 1800 tall 1200 wide 600deep, I am currently deciding on whether to use glass or Perspex for the sliding doors, anyone got any opinions on what is better?

I've been wondering about the same thing, Craigo! Looking forward to replies :)

You could use a 1800mm x 1200mm aluminium window, $50 at the local recycler, including lock

Not sure if this is helpful. I do it back to front? Seek out 2nd hand shop display cabinets, framed windows, shower doors(untinted or not too heavily scaled) etc. Build the enclosure around them. Need to be patient in the hunt for them...but saves $$$.

For me, glass only for anything that might be prone to scratching/wear. Thick perspex(2nd hand) for floors.

Happy hunting.

at 1200 wide and 1800 high please steer away from using any thickness of float glass , if i was to use glass i would be using either a toughened safety glass or at least laminated glass (personally id be going perspex for any enclosure but that personal opinions

i could ramble and ramble on about the reasons why , but in the end it all comes down to harm minimisation , we do that(well most of us ) in every other aspect of our keeping and i think it should be passed over to DIY projects

float glass is rather weak when its edges are exposed , in the sliding glass track systems that people use it leaves these edges exposed (float is designed for house windows where its edges are held firm and tight reducing the risk of a breakage 10 fold

in the event anything was to ever hit this float glass hard enough it could very well shatter and if the force comes from the outside , it will shatter into the enclosure leaving your pet to move around in a pile of broken , sharp glass

with laminated glass this will not happen , the laminate should hold its shape and whilst you will have a broken piece of glass there should be minimal pieces come off it , toughened will break into lots of little pieces but will take alot of force to do so

now perspex , its incredibly hard to break when used in the same situations , you can drill it and cut it yourself , but some will say that it scratches up really bad , i still have pieces in use after over a year and they still look new , guess that comes down to how you treat it

oh and i was a glazier , not for all that long but this is my opinions of glass and how it should be used

Yea I was thinkin Perspex as I hav little kids whom love the snake. But I am not sure about how it would be when it comes to keeping heat in? and if at that height if it would be to flexy?

If you go a bit bigger , say 2100 high x 1800 then secondhand sliding doors are dime a dozen and they are laminated. Like misnomer said - find the doors then biuld the enclosure. Double glazed freezer (coke fridge) doors are also useful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Snakes will just push their way through perspex sliding doors, unless you use really thick stuff and then it's really expensive.

Glass track isnt made for glass higher then 760mm, either add a brace along the front or use perspex (yes it will flex).

Rick

I have already built enclosure, obviously not thinking about how or what on the front.

If you go a bit bigger , say 2100 high x 1800 then secondhand sliding doors are dime a dozen and they are laminated. Like misnomer said - find the doors then biuld the enclosure. Double glazed freezer (coke fridge) doors are also useful!
this isnt all that bad of an idea , ive used an old house window in one of my enclosures , works a charm

and yes as skeptic pointed out , perspex isnt all that good in sliding tracks ( probably should of noted that myself ) i would only really use perspex in a swinging door set up where you have a wooden frame screwed to the edges , this is what i use it for :) if your set on using a sliding track you really have to stick with glass but as said tay away from float , the few trophy cabinets i did (when i worked in the industry) only ever used toughened from memory

I use laminate and was only approx $10 diff for just over 1.5m2 went this route due to young kids

Unless you can source the ball bearing roller track for you enclosure it is going to be very hard to use 1800x640mm x2 glass sliders as they will be too heavy for the plastic or aluminium slider tracks, unless you are going to use a solid panel of glass at the bottom of the enclosure and then have 2 1200x640mm sliders on top, you will still need 8mm laminate but it will be cheaper, you can then use 5mm float glass in the bottom or 5mm perspex :) ...................................Ron

Always glass. Perspex is the worst product ever. Wipe it with anything and it scratches. I used to use apt of food grade Perspex at a pharmaceutical lab where I did my apprenticeship. Great for enclosing control gear. Crap for viewing animals long term.

Question : does it have to be a sliding glass/Perspex , at that height and width , wouldn't a framed door be easier .
perspex isn't that bad over time , you just need to take note when cleaning it .

I'm thinking I might make some sort of double swing door or atleast close the front in a bit more.

I think a glass door like a stein enclosure would be nice ir a framed door like others have mentioned.

Liitle kids in the house , no brainer , go with 6mm perspex .

Glass and kids don't mix - DANGEROUS.

Snakes will just push their way through perspex sliding doors, unless you use really thick stuff and then it's really expensive.

Always glass. Perspex is the worst product ever. Wipe it with anything and it scratches. I used to use apt of food grade Perspex at a pharmaceutical lab where I did my apprenticeship. Great for enclosing control gear. Crap for viewing animals long term.

I've had persex on my bearded dragon and snake enclosure for the past few months and they both look brand new..... Best idea I ever had was going perspex over glass...

Glass is expensive.. But it isn't flimsy and doesn't scratch as easy. Is more expensive as well.

Perspex is cheap, flex's a bit (my spotted python escaped 3 times lol.. Easy fix when I realised it was the perspex, just got some rubber door seals and put it from top to bottom of the perspex and he hasn't escaped since). It's also at least half the price as glass. Slides ok.. Depending on size of course.

I went perspex because it was cheaper and I'm very happy with my decision. I most likely won't be going glass again/ever.

I've had persex on my bearded dragon and snake enclosure for the past few months and they both look brand new..... Best idea I ever had was going perspex over glass...

Glass is expensive.. But it isn't flimsy and doesn't scratch as easy. Is more expensive as well.

Perspex is cheap, flex's a bit (my spotted python escaped 3 times lol.. Easy fix when I realised it was the perspex, just got some rubber door seals and put it from top to bottom of the perspex and he hasn't escaped since). It's also at least half the price as glass. Slides ok.. Depending on size of course.

I went perspex because it was cheaper and I'm very happy with my decision. I most likely won't be going glass again/ever.
It will be interesting to see if it stands the test of time as glass will last the life of a snake without a problem as long as it isn't smashed. I think some perspex may go cloudy (opaque) over time as well, this may be only with UV exposure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back