Another Newbie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiggles

Reaction score
Hi all, sorry I posted an intro thread but it disappeared... So Ill try again. Sorry if two threads appear. I recently purchased a Bredli python for my 11 year old Daughter. Apples (the Bredli) seems to love to be handled, so hope that stays that way. Being absolute beginners, can anyone recommend any good books to read? Also, the breeder only sold us a heat mat, but the temp in the enclosure is only 22 degrees, should I buy a heat rock or lamp? Any info greatly appreciated.

Welcome! Great name...a good book would be "Keeping and Breeding Australian snakes by Mike Swan". Hope that helps a bit.

Hey mate, welcome to the dark side :twisted:...we have cookies ^.^

STAY AWAY FROM HEAT ROCKS!!! Never ever ever even consider buying one! They can seriously harm your reptile, resulting in death in the most serious cases.

Now that is out of the way :p The temps should sit at around 32-33degrees. If you snake is an click clack (platic tub) then you may want to consider a heat chord or a higher wattage heat mat :) If it is an enclosure you will need a heat lamp and lamp cage around it so Apples doesn't burn himself :) (Also a thermostat too!)

I would recommend The Complete Carpet Python by Nick Mutton and Justin Julander as well as the book mentioned above :)

Thanks for the info! So heat rocks = bad? Ill go and get a heat lamp and cage today. Another dumb question, do you leave the heat lamp on 24/7 or just during the daytime?

yes, heat rocks=VERY BAD!!!

Depends on the age of the python....for the first 2 years I leave it on 24/7 and for adults I only leave it on during the day :)

Apples is still a baby, only born in Feb this year. Again thanks for the help.

There is an enclosure builder on possibly on the Gold Coast Qld that offers heat rocks as an option in his custom enlosures and only one specific brand. IMO I would not use one at all as I have read too many stories of them going bad. Is the temperature measured with a reliable thermometer and is it air temperature or surface temperature? If Apples is a hatchling I would be keeping him/her in a click clack with a heat mat. What size (wattage) heat mat is it that you are using and what location are you because I have used a 5 watt heat mat in Brisbane Queensland with my hatchling coastal and coastal cross and kept them feeding fine all winter.

Wow, must be so warm in Brisbane compared to here! I need a 30watt to keep temps at 32 in winter :shock:

Average temps for Adelaide are June 16-8 July 15-7 and August 16-8 whereas Brisbane is June 22-11 July 22-10 and August 23-10 so not that much warmer for the average minimum temperatures but the average maximums are a bit higher and this may heat up my herp area during the day and it may retain the heat a bit through the night. The 5 watt heat mats were what I used for all of my hatchlings up until this year where I have just changed to a 50 watt 6 meter heat cord heating two hatchling BHP's in larger boxes than click clacks (550 x 400 x 150). The pink one is for my girl and the blue one is for my boy.

Attachments

• Heat cord 1.jpg
    Heat cord 1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Heat cord 2.jpg
    Heat cord 2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Heat cord 3.jpg
    Heat cord 3.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 95
Hey mate, welcome to the dark side :twisted:...we have cookies ^.^

STAY AWAY FROM HEAT ROCKS!!! Never ever ever even consider buying one! They can seriously harm your reptile, resulting in death in the most serious cases.

Now that is out of the way :p The temps should sit at around 32-33degrees. If you snake is an click clack (platic tub) then you may want to consider a heat chord or a higher wattage heat mat :) If it is an enclosure you will need a heat lamp and lamp cage around it so Apples doesn't burn himself :) (Also a thermostat too!)

I would recommend The Complete Carpet Python by Nick Mutton and Justin Julander as well as the book mentioned above :)
No offence Sharkey but im just going to correct this statment (But i know u know but its a newbie and we need to get it right) 32/33 for a basking spot for digestion......rest of enclosure( tho with a hatchie a click clack is more prefered )then the rest of the enclosure ambient temp should be mid 20's

Last edited:
I have done that twice today! :facepalm: Thanks for correcting me....I'm going to go back under my rock until I can remember to type BASKING SPOT :(

Thanks for all the help, this is a whole new world! Went to our pet shop that sells snakes (didn't buy Apples from them), explained my problem, he sold me a heat lamp and cage. Put that in the enclosure and with the heat mat, temp went to 33.2, so turned off the heat mat, air temp is 32.1 and he is now actively moving around. Does that sound OK?

Make sure your whole tank isn't 32. Measure the ground temp exactly where the heatmat is without the light on. As long as the ground is 32, that's all you need. Heatmat and light could be overkill depending on:

Where you live
What kind of tank you have (what material is it made of)
What wattage is the mat and the lamp

You don't need the air to be 32 degrees, if your ground temp is 32 degrees you'll be fine. Try putting a hide over the heatmat to trap warm air. If set up correctly, heat mats and cords are the most efficient heating method.

Last edited by a moderator:
So he doesn't want to eat and his eyes are going cloudy, so I'm presuming he is sloughing, dumb question how long does that take and when should I feed him next?

Wrong, his eyes are OK, and he ate a pinky mouse tonight, Im so relieved.

his eyes will go milky, then they will clear and only after then will he shed :) not uncommon for them to eat in that clear window :)

And he shed today! He is looking so happy and is happy to be have a cuddle, Thanks everyone for you help. Now Ill have time to start viewing the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back