New hatchling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robpiersen

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've had my hatchling Stimson about a month now. She's very healthy and active but haven't been able to get her eating. I'm currently trying the no contact for 2 weeks before next attempt. Just wanted to know she doesn't sleep in her hide anymore she seems very happy laying in the open or on the little branch in click clack is this a good sign she's becoming used to her new environment and feels secure?

When you try feeding it make it attack the food I hear that helps or put it there with them and leave the room that works for me the snake feel comfortable to eat .

G'day Robpiersen, I've just overcoming the same problem with my baby albino Darwin. Took the advice of several replies and defrosted his target food with a baby quail in a bag full of hot water to defrost both together. Then I smooshed some quail juice over the food and offered it to him. He had a great feed response strike, coiled and dragged it away. Hopefully when I check in the morning it'll be just a bump in his belly! Give that a try and see how it goes! Good luck with it - it's a huge worry when they just keep refusing feeds... Also make sure the temps are right for both hot and cool spots and that the click clack is dark and quiet. Mine hadn't eaten for ten weeks so hopefully he's hungry enough to take it down tonight...

G'day Robpiersen, I've just overcoming the same problem with my baby albino Darwin. Took the advice of several replies and defrosted his target food with a baby quail in a bag full of hot water to defrost both together. Then I smooshed some quail juice over the food and offered it to him. He had a great feed response strike, coiled and dragged it away. Hopefully when I check in the morning it'll be just a bump in his belly! Give that a try and see how it goes! Good luck with it - it's a huge worry when they just keep refusing feeds... Also make sure the temps are right for both hot and cool spots and that the click clack is dark and quiet. Mine hadn't eaten for ten weeks so hopefully he's hungry enough to take it down tonight...

It might be a bit of a problem for some people to smoosh up an animal.

-Warm the food slightly.

Either of these work for me
1.use the food to promt your snake into aggression and attacking the food, they will figure out its food not a threat.
2. Get the pythons attention with the food then leave it in there over night in the dark.

Do harass the animal with the food if you think he is already stressed and won't bite, it will just be a set back.

try and feed her in a dark environment, make sure the food is nice and warm and try putting a few holes in the mouse head with a toothpick. Also sometimes you need to stir the snake up a tiny bit if they are super docile just by bobbing the mouse near its head etc.

It might be a bit of a problem for some people to smoosh up an animal.

Like Stingray said, if reptile owners can't brain a fuzzie or pinkie or squeeze a bit of brain smoosh from a quail onto their reptile's target food, perhaps they should reconsider their hobby!!! Animal husbandry comes with a price and that price is to look after our animals to the very best of our abilities. If we can't commit to doing what is right for the animals in our care then we need to reconsider our choices. Luckily my baby Albino Darwin wolfed down the fuzzy rat coated in quail smoosh last night, so hopefully he is back on track. For three or four days before trying to feed him, I left him in his click clack in a darkened disused enclosure, made sure all his temps were spot on and offered him the warmed food last night. He struck and coiled straight away and had it down in his belly about half an hour later when I checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back