Bearded dragon heat?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimo77

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Got a new wood 4x1.5x2 foot Reptile One bearded dragon enclosure today after having a heap of trouble with the temperatures in my glass tank. I have a 100 watt ZooMed ceramic heat emmitter and it just isn't giving off enough heat. Could I put two phillips 100 watts flood lights (those ones from Bunnings ive heard they are good) at each end or would that just be ridiculously hot? basking temp is 37 degs and warm end is 25 so you could only imagine how cold the cool end is! By the way hes 2 months old :) I am using the URS ceramic edison fittings :) Tell me what watts and stuff you guys would use. And its on a dimming thermostat :)
Cherrs, Jimo.

I have a few four foot by two foot by two foot enclosures, they are all run on either 75 watt or 100 watt bulbs from bunnings and work perfectly. I can easily get a basking temp of 35-40 degrees. You can build the basking spot up a bit under the light to get a higher temp in that basking area. But you won't need one at each end, make sure you still have that cool end available. Check your temps with those and see how you go. If he is that young and you live somewhere it gets pretty cold at night, it might be worth setting up the ceramic heat emitter of a night time so that he doesn't brumate for you this year. :)

Got a new wood 4x1.5x2 foot Reptile One bearded dragon enclosure today after having a heap of trouble with the temperatures in my glass tank. I have a 100 watt ZooMed ceramic heat emmitter and it just isn't giving off enough heat. Could I put two phillips 100 watts flood lights (those ones from Bunnings ive heard they are good) at each end or would that just be ridiculously hot? basking temp is 37 degs and warm end is 25 so you could only imagine how cold the cool end is! By the way hes 2 months old :) I am using the URS ceramic edison fittings :) Tell me what watts and stuff you guys would use. And its on a dimming thermostat :)
Cherrs, Jimo.

first up..do you have a basking lamp? a CHE is only for warmth,not usually needed for a beardie(except in colder climates in winter)
second ... do you have a UVB ? a flouro tube is usually the best option
do not put 2 x 100 lamps in your enclosure,this is overkill.you must have a cool end

Yep 10.0 Exo terra. No I only have a CHE. I had a 75 watt basking lamp but the pet shop told me to ditch it and get a Ceramic heat emitter. How about a CHE and a basking lamp on one side with a stat on the CHE and i can monitor the basking globes temps for a few days to make sure they arnt getting to hot. Basking globe 75w?

Close off or cover the vents to reduce warm air loss. Turn the heat up so that basking is 40, hopefully this will heat up ambient air temp. With ceramics, u can leave heat on 24/7 as its not going to bother beardy light wise anyway, although I personally always have no night heat anyway regardless of age. Ive never had any issues. a 100w ceramic on a 4ft enc thats only 2ft high and 1.5wide should be enough I would have thought. How cold are the night temps getting at the cool end??? And where in the enclosure does it sleep at night - cool end or warm end?? often they will tell u if they want to brumate whether u want them to or not!

If your worried about age, if it wants to brumate, let it but for shorter period of time then try heating things back up again

Keep the CHE as is and supplement it with a 40 watt r50 spot lamp on a timer at the same end. Use the timer that your UV is on this will give you a nice little basking spot, just use cheap ones from the hardware shops. If not hot enough just up the wattage.

Thanks for the replies guys:). He sleep on the cool end where temperatures at night can fall to 15-17 degrees. The CHE makes sure the warm end stays at 20. My Bearded Dragon has already started trying to go into brumation so I need to boost up the temps fast. The enclosure has a large vent at the top where the uv light goes so I will cover that up because my uv light is fitted on the inside. There is two vents on each side of the enclosure so I don't think that lack of oxygen will be a problem at all. These are the heat lights I'm thinking of getting:

Globe Par38 Philips 80w Es Yellow 80par38fy - Bunnings Warehouse

Nelson 50W Par20 ES Halogen Globes - Bunnings Warehouse

Theese lights come in a 60w,75w,100w
Globe Reflector Philips 100w R80 Clear Es 2pk - Bunnings Warehouse

What one do you guys think would be the best for my enclosure?

for your enclosure I would go for a 75w. It all depends where u mount the basking lamp. If it the temp is too low u can bring the light closer to the basking area OR you could boost up the wattage and leave the light where it is.
You just need to make sure the lights are not energy efficient as they will not give out the heat.
I personally use Phillips globes from woolies and they usually last half a year or so before needing replacement. For my dragon I personally use the 60w but I have the light suspended closer to the basking area.

In my opinion most new beardie keepers don't offer the animals enough heat, I use 100 watt spot lamps (think that's what they are called) suspended not to far above the basking area set on a dimming thermostat at 42-45 degrees.

I have that on a timer for 10 hours a day.

I dont offer night time heat but thats because I'm in Cairns so our ambient winter night time temps are still pretty high

As well as obviously a 10.0 uv bulb replaced every 6 months.

Adults are slightly different but not much.

Scorps

Thank guys. I got a 100 watt Phillips today and I'm getting temperatures of 31- 32 for the warm side and basking temperatures of 45 degrees is this good? Thanks.

sounds good to me. Make sure u have some rocks or a nig rock under the heat. AS they heat up, they make a great heat bank, and slowly let heat back off during the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back