green tree snake feeding question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AUSGEX

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i know there have been a load of "feeding green tree snakes" but i couldnt find my exact answer, now the question is reguard mainly GTS and rodents, i have been told my a person who keeps them that i should not try to wean them onto pinkies as the snakes cant digest the rodents properly and it will cause alot of problems, so i turned to look at feeder fish for the snakes and apon reading infomation reguarding GTS eating fish the Thiaminase problem keeps popping up with reguards to feeding gold fish and othe feeder fish. so if pinkies are not a viable option, and either a goldfish and some other feeder fish, does anybody who keeps these snakes know what species of fish should be be feed to avoid the thiaminase deficiency. sorry if this has already been answered ive been reasearch all of the net for about 2 days and i cant seem to find the exact answer there is alot of yeah ots ok then straight after no way you cant to that, so if anybody with expierece can help it would be appreciated.

I believe the issue with rodents is the fur itself rather then the rodent but could be wrong.

I know you want to feed fish but have u considered garden skinks fed mine with these now 5 years strong unassisted frozen pinky rats an mice

It is illegal to feed any native reptile to another. You can lose your licence for doing this.

I don't see the issue with just feeding them fish. If you do a search on the Thiaminase issues, there has been research done and from what I can remember it isn't an issue for live fish.
I have fed my Keelbacks wild caught mosquito fish, captive bred guppies and gold fish and never had a problem.

I know you want to feed fish but have u considered garden skinks fed mine with these now 5 years strong unassisted frozen pinky rats an mice

Common trees will do well on a diet of mice and rats. Ive raised hatchlings to breeding adults on nothing but pink and fuzzy rodents with out any problems at all.

Common trees will do well on a diet of mice and rats. Ive raised hatchlings to breeding adults on nothing but pink and fuzzy rodents with out any problems at all.

thats exactly the reason im so confused people say pinkie mice/rats are good and fine then people say they are bad personally i cant see the harm, i mean if they were fully furred then i understand the digestion problem, same with fish and i cant exactly go out each day catching lizard/frogs

I feed mine quail which they take readily. As hatchlings I fed them house geckos but once big enough straight onto quail with almost no weaning at all.

I feed mine quail which they take readily. As hatchlings I fed them house geckos but once big enough straight onto quail with almost no weaning at all.

Could i get more detail about feeding GTS quail..... Do you mean quail Chopped into parts .... Baby quails,.

Hav fed pinky rats for yrs - not a problem. Live fish as far as I'm aware are fine. Thiamine only issue in dead tahwed fish as protein denatures causing issues. Ive fed another live goldfish with no issues also. I know other have done too. I personally wean them to pinky rats for a couple of reason - cost, consistent supply, no poison issues with chemicals from petswhop brought fish and good tucker!

Could i get more detail about feeding GTS quail..... Do you mean quail Chopped into parts .... Baby quails,.

Day old quail once they are big enough to handle them. King quail hatchlings are good starters as they are a bit smaller than jap quail. Then once they are onto jap quail anything up to a few days old they seem to handle ok.

I have no doubt they could handle week old quail as adults ,I just haven't tried it yet. Remember green tree frogs , as well as other frog species, which would factor in their diets in the wild, can get to a fair size and I have no doubt they would manage in the wild.

It is illegal to feed any native reptile to another. You can lose your licence for doing this.

I don't see the issue with just feeding them fish. If you do a search on the Thiaminase issues, there has been research done and from what I can remember it isn't an issue for live fish.
I have fed my Keelbacks wild caught mosquito fish, captive bred guppies and gold fish and never had a problem.

It has been done in this hobby since the dawn of time, illegal or not is proberly the best way to get any finiky feeder to eat.

Its not illegal in Queensland. Queensland has a list of species that are allowable as food items.

If you are going to make statements like that you need to clarify where it is illegal because without the specifics that statement is wrong.

Its not illegal in Queensland. Queensland has a list of species that are allowable as food items.

If you are going to make statements like that you need to clarify where it is illegal because without the specifics that statement is wrong.

If I was wrong I appologise. I was told this was Australia wide not just in Victoria.
I am curius what native species of reptiles and amphibians you are allowed as food items in Qld. I assume dead only or do animal ethics stretch this far in Qld to allow live food as well?

What are the rules for NSW as the posting and advice given for feeding them skinks came feom NSW?
It would be good to have a unified system feon state to state so there isnt any confusion.

Care to put up a link showing the legislation that allows that? Or is it just word of mouth...

It is in the code of practice for keeping reptiles and amphibians on the DERM website.

6 species of least concern lizards are listed as being able to be collected for the purpose of feeding obligate lizard feeders.

Found it...

12. Collection of feed skinks General information:
• Provision is made in the Wildlife Management Regulation for the collection of seven species of least
concern skinks as food for exclusively lizard-eating (saurophagous) species of herpetofauna, principally
small snakes. It should be noted that the Wildlife Management Regulation does not permit the use of
frogs as feed animals.

http://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/register/p00061aa.pdf

In brisbane at least it is not necessary to catch any of these species as feeders because Asian house geckos are in abundance and far easier to find.

The code doesn't mention feeding live but normal ethics rules would apply

Its an interesting read. I must admit there are a lot more skink in Qld than Vic. It is hard for us in VIC to understand this legislation because herping isn't that easy down here compared to the warmer states. It would make life easier in regards to husbandry for many species. I would be concerned about parasites, and I haven't come across a wild specimen yet that didn't have worms. I am happy to say my collection is clean, but in the past I have had specimens legally caught from the wild that weren't so pristine. It didn't seem to effect most of them, apart from a pair of knob tailed geckos from Shark bay area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back