New to snakes, Diamond Python hasn't shed in 3months is this bad!?????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwichick

Reaction score
My male is about 3years old he still looks healthy and hasnt refused a feed yet and eats every 2-3weeks, my female has started her second shed and ive had her for a couple weeks longer. Their bask spot is at 30-32, he looks dull and spends most of his time in the water bowl apart from basking... is this normal????????

If his colours are starting to look dull his eyes will go blue soon and he should shed about a week after that.
The closer he is to shedding the more his colours will go back to looking normal.
How often a Python sheds depends on how much they are fed and how old they are. As a rough guide:

Age/Time between sheds.
0-6 month old/1 month. 6-12 months/4-6 weeks. 1-2 years old/6-8 weeks and so on.

Being 3 years old I'd say he will only shed anywhere from every 2 - 4 months. So yes it is perfectly normal.

Also just as a side note - the basking temp may be a little high...
Someone with more experience with Diamonds can weigh in here if they like.
If it were me though I'd keep it anywhere from 28 - 30c as Diamonds come from cooler areas.

Last edited:
Nothing to worry about, as Tobe404 said they can have months between sheds when they're older. My diamond girl is 3 and a half and has shed about 3 times in the last 12 months.

Just a thought, if he's spend most of his time in his water bowl you may want to check him over for mites :)

Not trying to hijack this thread but was reading Tobe404's post about times/age and got a little concerned. My jungle hatchy which is 5 months old hasn't shed in 2 months. Doesn't even look like he's getting ready to shed. Should i be worried or is it just a case of "when they're ready?" He feeds on a good sized pinky rat every 7 days and is about 60cm long.

Ok so im not that happy but have found the problem, They have mites... there were dead ones im the water bowl drowned and a live one as well. Yours may be the same Zeusy so check your water :(

hey Zeusy, 'when theyre ready', you can easily miss the blue eye stage in hatchies. a light mist with warm water every few days to raise the humidity helps them shed well when its time

Thanks. His first and only shed since I've had was perfect but it was hard to tell the eyes turning blue but I did kinda notice it. I may have missed it this time though. I'll give him more time.
I haven't noticed him in his water but I'll check him out for mites. Again, thanks.

Not trying to hijack this thread but was reading Tobe404's post about times/age and got a little concerned. My jungle hatchy which is 5 months old hasn't shed in 2 months. Doesn't even look like he's getting ready to shed. Should i be worried or is it just a case of "when they're ready?" He feeds on a good sized pinky rat every 7 days and is about 60cm long.

Sorry for making you feel concerned from reading about what was in my post.
It was really just a rough guide.
Took my first Python around 2 months until she had her first shed.
Although she didn't eat for a month when I got her home because I was mistakenly offering her Pinky Rats rather than Fuzzie Mice (actual pack was labled Fuzzie Mice and I didn't know any better at the time).
How often they shed mostly depends on what size food they are eating and how often.
I probably feed mine more often and bigger prey than most people would.
For example I fed mind every 5 days up to 6 months old.
And have upped their food item after pretty much every shed.

Last edited:
Sorry for making you feel concerned from reading about what was in my post.
It was really just a rough guide.
How often they shed mostly depends on what size food they are eating and how often.
I probably feed mine more often and bigger prey than most people would.
No need to apologise. I appreciate your advice as i had no idea how long it could be. I know alot of advice can only be rough guides as not much is cut and dry when it comes to reptiles. I freaked a little but then thought its only been an extra month so all good. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back