Albino Darwin !

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horn20

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi there
I am currently setting up an environment for the pending purchase of an Albino Darwin Python. Just want to check that what i am setting up will be great for my new hatchy.

1. Sealed timber enclosure approx. 600(L)x400(W)x500(H), with sliding glass lockable front.
2. Compact spiral UVB 10% globe, mounted inside mesh cage.
3. Ceramic heat emitter, mounted at one end of enclosure (hot end).
4. Ventilation grille mounted at top of cool end wall.
5. Light and heater controlled by combined timer and thermostat.
6. Enclosure will be located in a reasonably, year round, temperature stable part of my home.
7. Several small hides, whilst she is still young.
8. Organic material substrate.
9. Reasonably large, shallow water dish.
10. Branches and such.

Just a few questions,

1. Will the UVB globe provide any added heat to speak of?, as i am intending to use it only to provide general lighting, and necessary UVB requirements, and not for heating.
2. Should i mount the ventilation grille in the cool end, or the hot end?
3. Is organic material substrate the best option for a Darwin?

I have cared for lizards in the past and have not had any issues with health or unhappy animals, but I have never cared for snakes, and so, I wish to get my environment set up and fully functional now, well before i buy my first Darwin, in spring/summer.

Any tips and pointers will be greatly appreciated from a new player,
Thanks heaps.

not sure id risk using a UVB light with an albino. Ive heard they can damage eyes in normal snakes, i can only imagine the risk for an albinos eyes would be even greater,...

UVB lights are not nessasary for snakes.

Ahh, thats good to know, thanks, I will substitute this globe for a normal fluoro to provide general lighting then.
Thanks.

Set up a click clack for a hatchy, heat mat under one third, hide in hot and cold end, and a bit of plastic trellis to climb on. Water bowl, all set.
Make sure you have the heat mat connected to a thermostat, and have a temp gauge in the hot end as well. Provide heat 24/7 for hatchies.

I agree with the others that you should use a click clack for a hatchy. You sound like you have put alot of thought and effort into providing an awesome environment for your snake, which is great to see. I was exactly the same with my first python (a diamond) but like you put her in too large an enclosure straight away. She was very flighty and didn't eat! Stick the darwin in a click clack and save that great set up for a couple of months time :)

One topic that hasn't been spoken about is heating and lighting cages. There needs to be a cage around the CHE unlike what you probably had for your lizards and the light if in the enclosure will need one as well, not to stop burning but your snake could wrap around and crush the glass.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the help, i have ordered cages to fit around the light and ceramic heater element, and will look into the click clack, with heat mat and such. should i have the thermostat in contact with the heat mat, or suspended above it somewhere with-in the enclosure?
Thanks again, i think i am going to learn a lot from all of you.:D

Thanks for all the help, i have ordered cages to fit around the light and ceramic heater element, and will look into the click clack, with heat mat and such. should i have the thermostat in contact with the heat mat, or suspended above it somewhere with-in the enclosure?
Thanks again, i think i am going to learn a lot from all of you.:D
For a hatchling in a click clack with a heat mat I would put it in contact with the floor.

you will need vents ( or ventilation grilles as you put it :);) ) on both the hot end and the cool end , on the hot end the vent should be down low and on the cool side the vent should be placed up high they work best when placed on the side walls rather than on the back wall

and yes click clack are best to use for hatchys , just make sure the lid is nice and secure

Sweet, I have already ordered a few vents, hopefully they will be here this week, along with some other gear i've ordered. Have just looked at a few click clack setup options, and will certainly go this way for the first few months. I am quite excited about getting my first snake, as i've waited for several years, so i guess a few more months wont hurt hey.:p

Hi guys not trying to highjack this thread if it may look like it please just dont read !!but, if you do know could you please PM me about the temperature with a heatmat that my albino darwin should be in.i picked him up yesterday but am just abit wurried, he is a yearling and im just wurried as he is my birthday present !!
I have a normal daewin and I was told 30-35 and im just not 100% sure if its the same with albinos. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 4

Don't you get this info and help to set up, from the seller?
Most genuine breeders are more then happy to help with setting up the right enclosures to people who buy off them.

Don't you get this info and help to set up, from the seller?
Most genuine breeders are more then happy to help with setting up the right enclosures to people who buy off them.

I often wonder this myself when these questions are asked. When selling, especially to newbies, I for one answer every question put to me and provide basic care fact sheets. Further to this I encourage anyone who has bought from me to contact me directly if they require assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back