micro chipping

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micro chipping good or bad

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i voted bad idea. i believe that it would be good for some people not for me personally i have all my cages locked and escape proof, i have never had a escapee. i keep the door to my reptiles closed besides when im walking in a out so if one does escape i could find it with not too much trouble.... i hope

up to u, but it is possible. if it a really valuable snake I would. I want to get my new woma done, but not sure my mum will let me

There was a thread about this in a group on fb. Apparently there is a new chip 1/3 the size of the normal ones that is designed for reptiles and other small animals. In my book it's a good idea incase someone pinches your collection. If it gives you an extra 1% chance of getting your animals back its worth it.

about how much does micro chipping cost?
There was a thread about this in a group on fb. Apparently there is a new chip 1/3 the size of the normal ones that is designed for reptiles and other small animals. In my book it's a good idea incase someone pinches your collection. If it gives you an extra 1% chance of getting your animals back its worth it.

do u have a link?

Bad idea... Chips put under the skin can be easily removed and are a big eye sore IMO. chips put into the chest cavity can be dangerous to smaller snakes. Why risk it? They aren't cats and dogs...

I was speaking to my vet about this after one of my pythons got stollen from my house.

I was told they are extreamaly small and can be placed in between the ribs (making visually finding the chip, very hard).
I wouldn't do it to a small snake, but I have considered it for my larger, permanent pythons.

If your python/s are stollen and found, you will then have to prove the python/s belong to you, a chip makes that part very easy.

I was speaking to my vet about this after one of my pythons got stollen from my house.

I was told they are extreamaly small and can be placed in between the ribs (making visually finding the chip, very hard).
I wouldn't do it to a small snake, but I have considered it for my larger, permanent pythons.

If your python/s are stollen and found, you will then have to prove the python/s belong to you, a chip makes that part very easy.

Good head and body shots would do the same

A microchip is the only way to legally prove the animal belongs to you. If the animal was stolen, sold on, ended up somewhere you and a few other people could all have close up photos of its head or markings. If its microchipped in your name, it belongs to you. I am a massive fan of microchipping. Haven't got any of my reptiles done at this stage, but I have had all my birds microchipped. I will be getting my expensive reptiles chipped when they are older.

A microchip is the only way to legally prove the animal belongs to you. If the animal was stolen, sold on, ended up somewhere you and a few other people could all have close up photos of its head or markings. If its microchipped in your name, it belongs to you. I am a massive fan of microchipping. Haven't got any of my reptiles done at this stage, but I have had all my birds microchipped. I will be getting my expensive reptiles chipped when they are older.

I would really think before doing it... Have a read post 46
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/vet-trip-deccw-152882/page/4

i voted good idea - i wouldn't microchip all my pythons, but when my more valuable snakes (an albino darwin and a t+ childrens, for example) are adults and breeding it will be worth micro chipping them in case of theft. It is very difficult to prove a stolen snake is yours.

What happens if the thief has a stolen snake microchipped...it is in his name and you will never get it back :p

I voted good idea
1) If it gets stolen, you have proof it is yours. If the new owners try to testify you have the upper hand. You wouldn't have been able to track the python's location without having the microchips ID and vets don't hand out that info to anyone either.
2) If you keep your snakes outside in avairies, sheds, etc they can easily be located if you ever accidentally leave the cages unlocked, etc: hence saving you the heartbreak of having a python 'lost' in the wild with the possibilities of never seeing it again (or being killed by stupid neighbours)

Yea btsmorphs. I work as a veterinary nurse, and would only ever have my birds or reptiles microchipped by a veterinarian that is experienced in microchipped the animal in question.

I am probably going to have my adult BHPs chipped. Having a reptile chipped is really for owner piece of mind though.

If you think about it, a cat or dog is more likely to escape from the house. It's also common knowledge cats and dogs are frequently chipped. So a finder is more likely to check for a chip. Cats and dogs also require yearly vet care and a veterinarian knows to check all new pets for a chip to see if they are stolen.

More than likely if your snake goes missing, somebody stole it. Especially with the more expensive snakes we are willing to chip because they are most likely being kept in locked escape proof enclosures.

So in order to reclaim a stolen snake you would need to track it down then encourage a police man to check for a chip, and a stolen snake would be near impossible to track down. Again it's not like a dog that needs to go out to use the bathroom or a cat you can spot in a window. It's a pet that lives in a inclosure and the thief is most likely to hide the sake inside and you will probably never see it again or know where it went.

On the other hand though if you go to a reputable experienced veterinarian. It's probably worth the $30 for a chip just to know its there just in case. As long as the snake is large enough and it's done properly it won't cause and harm to the reptile except maybe stressing it out a little.

Good head and body shots would do the same

But a good head and body shot isn't good enough legal proof. I work at a animal hospital and have seen many stolen dog cases where the pet is not returned to its original owner because photos are not proof. I could take pictures of a friends dog then sat its mine... Microchipping is the only guaranteed way to prove legal ownership.

It would be even harder to prove snake ownership because they look so similar especially to the untrained eye.

But a good head and body shot isn't good enough legal proof. I work at a animal hospital and have seen many stolen dog cases where the pet is not returned to its original owner because photos are not proof. I could take pictures of a friends dog then sat its mine... Microchipping is the only guaranteed way to prove legal ownership.

It would be even harder to prove snake ownership because they look so similar especially to the untrained eye.

so if I stole a snake and had it micro chipped its is legally then mine? micro chipping does not prove ownership and micro chipping is not like micro chipping a cat, dog or bird there is more risk.... please show me two different pythons with the exact same head pattern?

Intresting I was thinking about this a lot lately I have my two pythons are in the shead and yes I have had them escape but not go to far I have also told the people next door to me that I have them I the event an escape happens again the thing I was wanting to know is if your lost python was found buy snake catchers would be able to be returned to you easy if thay were chiped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back