Monster python killed in South Florida

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Worth far more alive than dead one of that size ...

I thought that the Nile monitor was the biggest threat to native wildlife in the Everglades.

I heard Humans are a problem in Florida...

Only the old ones :lol:
the young ones
the drunk college ones
the spring break ones
the American ones
and the cuban ones
(insert sarcasim face here )

Ok, he's experienced, he was trying to capture it (with other people) and it got out of hand. He had to kill it or he was in trouble. That's how I read it. Plus its exotic, so what is the problem here and why the yank bashing???

I can't see how this is different to killing a cat, fox, buffalo or donkey over here? They are all pest species, yet I wouldn't see anyone whinging on here if a large example of one of those species were killed.

Agree, cant see a problem. A 5.7 metre pest would take a fair share of native food to obtain that size. I wonder if we learnt and disected exactly what it ate over the period of its life and showed the hippies, they might use logic and agree that in this circumstance that a good snake is a dead snake.

As much as I love reptiles I'm not going to be blinded to the fact that a pest is a pest. I didn't see many people complaining about people killing cane toads in a thread a while back...

The issue is not with that the snake which is an invasive species was killed it was the words "MONSTER SNAKE, " that I have an issue with. The general public does not differentiate an invasive species of Burmese snake they read MONSTER SNAKE WRAPPED AROUND MANS LEG. I am not a hippie/greenie/conservationist on my high horse. I am simply concerned that these Headline grabbing statements to sell newspapers cause they are having a slow news day can ruin my rights in keeping a non invasive animal. Apologies for all the upper case typing and rants today having a bad day :facepalm:

"The FWC is grateful to him both for safely removing such a large Burmese python and for reporting its capture."

Bahahahah XD
Safely removing?

That's crazy! 18ft long and he just goes up to it's head and grabs it....experienced or not you should have at least one other person right next to you when dealing with something that large, then maybe killing it could have been avoided

He did have people with him, it says that in the article, they are the ones who helped him.

And i know everyone on here are reptile lovers, i am here for the same reason, but the snakes are a pest and are damaging the natural ecosystem. They need to be culled just like rabbits, foxes, toads and any other introduced species. We can't treat them any differently to any other animal just because they are our favourite :)

Sorry guys but you're a bunch of hypocrites.

When it comes to toads, cats, feral pigs, rabbits ect that are damaging our wild populations, some of you get up in arms to the extent of getting personal with others who don't believe they should be killed.

Now along comes an animal you like, and not in our country and you're all 'save the pythons, they're innocent'. Yeah, it's unfortunate for them to have to die but they don't belong there, just like any other invasive species.

Think a saltie would be the least of your worries in the Yarra Moose; do people even swim in it anymore (apart from the 3 eyed ones):)?

i've worked along the Yarra for many years and am still astounded by the amount of people I see jumping in there of their own free will.

Sorry guys but you're a bunch of hypocrites.

When it comes to toads, cats, feral pigs, rabbits ect that are damaging our wild populations, some of you get up in arms to the extent of getting personal with others who don't believe they should be killed.

Now along comes an animal you like, and not in our country and you're all 'save the pythons, they're innocent'. Yeah, it's unfortunate for them to have to die but they don't belong there, just like any other invasive species.
Not quiet sure who this was a reference to however I wanted to clarify. I have NO ISSUES with removal and extermination of an invasive species. What I do have an issue with is the publicity given to this particular incident, wording such as MONSTER and started wrapping around his leg was simple fear mongering designed to make headlines, sell papers and make people go out and shoot/burn everything that moves. Anyhoo getting a little tired of this topic, not trying to change anyones opinion simply expressing my opinion in the hope that we wont see more stupid laws passed by the uneducated being educated by stuff like this being splashed all over the media.

They are a problem but not on the level of Cane Toads in Australia....or weasels in New Zealand. Like others have said Florida can get decently cold in the winter (alot more so than in South East Asia) and that helps to reduce numbers. Summer in Florida is very and present suitable climate through. I think they are hyped up in the media to be honest....They aren't that common.

Shame it had to be killed but it doesn't belong and thats the bottom line.

Last edited:
Pfft. Americans. Surprised he didn't use a gun. Americans love their guns.
Pfft, Australians. Surprised you didn't have a VB in your hand and a ciggy in your mouth while driving home from the pub with your three kids in the back seat while you typed that up.
Australians love their stereotypes.

Sorry, but putting a whole country full of people in one group and looking at them in a certain way is one of the only things that really annoys me. Being a little more tolerant and a little less ignorant isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm definitely on the kill side.

I love reptiles of all types, but if something is an invasive species it should be killed to protect the native ones. If I found a burmese python (or corn snake etc for that matter) on one of my bush walks I would kill it (or possibly capture if practical). It would receive the same treatment as any cane toads or other invasive species that I come across.

I hate cane toads (in Australia), but if I was in South America and came across one I wouldn't dare hurt it. To be honest I'd probably be thrilled to be able to appreciate one in its natural habitat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back