Another relocation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Got called to remove this guy from a slurry drain on Friday afternoon. First time coming across a Keelback on Groote and the first one to be removed from the Mine site (according to records). Due to his behavior I mistakenly and embarrassingly ID'ed him as a Brown and just goes to prove that no matter how sure you are, always err on the side of caution but never presume. Thanks to those who kindly corrected me, next time I'll do more research before taking a stab in the dark and embarrassing myself further.

Anyway, obligatory pics, minus my red face.

7cabb094b589054e4211b3e446f39ce3_zpsccfa7459.jpg

e35cab6021036e016e22fbf726d19768_zps92ee1ede.jpg

28e4eddbfbdc9a5a535b635511850fe4_zpsf39302af.jpg

a7203e046c1e0824a46db7b50ab6d2fc_zps6da1f7f1.jpg

Treating a keelback as a brown is not a bad thing. You won't lose any points from me.
Unless, of course, you are a redneck with a shovel!

PS. There was a recept envenomation where a relocator mistook a rough-scale for a keelback. Fortunately they survived.

Treating a keelback as a brown is not a bad thing. You won't lose any points from me.
Unless, of course, you are a redneck with a shovel!

PS. There was a recept envenomation where a relocator mistook a rough-scale for a keelback. Fortunately they survived.
was that the recent one near coffs harbour where he then passed out at the wheel

Thanks Fucus, I think it was my pride that was hurt more in this instance. That and a work uniform from wading through a meter of slurry to rescue the little chap from the mud. It was either that or leave him to drown, dry out or be flushed into the plant, none of which I would wish on it.

And its OK, I dont own a shovel :)

look for loreal scale should be the first thing you look for sniper ,but it is a very Brown Keelback,
What Elapids have you seen there besides adders?

look for loreal scale should be the first thing you look for sniper ,but it is a very Brown Keelback,
What Elapids have you seen there besides adders?

Thanks $NaKe PiMp, if I was to try make up an excuse, he was covered in mud and was a slippery bugger so I didn't get a chance to look for the loreal scale, but then I did get some decent pictures of him later on and still made the mistake.

In addition to Adders, the only other elapids Im aware of on Groote are the Western Brown and Pseudechis sp ->http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/elapid-relocation-151664/page/44#post2329571 (Thanks eipper). I have been told by the locals that we do have Bandy Bandys and Yellow Faced Whips here too but am yet to see one for myself and there is no record of them on any Flora and Fauna surveys done by the Mine that Ive managed to get my hands on.

Wondered where that image went to the other day in the other thread! I'd be surprised if there wasn't a much more reasonable variety of elapids on Groote.

and there is no record of them on any Flora and Fauna surveys done by the Mine that Ive managed to get my hands on.
probably done over a very short period at a convenient time of the year so most surveys miss a hell of a lot of stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back