Outrageous bulb prices

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tablemanners

Reaction score
Hey Ladies N Gents,

So I'm picking up my first lizard in a couple weeks. Getting a little frilly :)

Because of this for the first time ever I'm going to need to get basking lamp. I was planning on getting one of those basking lamps that also provide UVB and light for through the day then swapping to a ceramic heat emitter bulb for at night while its still a bubby. The pet shop however charges through the roof for these bulbs. I hate my petshop so much, there is only one in the entire town and they charge whatever they damn want!

I refuse to pay $40 for a bulb!

Are their any alternatives for this, can I get these anywhere else.

Help appreciated in advance, Cheers buds :)

I know it's criminal. I pay $50-$60 for my ceramic bulbs but they last so much normal than regular heat lamps, so it's almost worth it :)

You can try ebay, reptile direct australia are a good bunch to buy from on there, not sure what they charge for bulbs though :)

I know it's criminal. I pay $50-$60 for my ceramic bulbs but they last so much normal than regular heat lamps, so it's almost worth it :)

You can try ebay, reptile direct australia are a good bunch to buy from on there, not sure what they charge for bulbs though :)

Im happy to pay that for the ceramic bulbs and I have for my Green Trees. But the actual UVB basking lights, they only last a few months!
Ill check eBay, anyone else know anywhere local. Hardwares ect..

I get my CHE's from Reptiles Direct - around $19.50 each. Last time I checked the local Pet Store there were over $50 so even with the $15 shipping ordering one is still a lot cheaper.....buy 2 or 3 and a couple of other items and it starts to look pretty good.

I am not familiar with lizards - but if you are going to buy a UVB for light + heat during the day and CHE for night heat......Would you be better to just go the CHE for 24/7 heat and install a UVB light purely for the UVB?

Again....I am not across lizard requirements but it seems you are making the purchase of the UVB light more expensive by getting one that is basking as well as UVB when you already have a heat source planned with the CHE.

Last edited:
I get my CHE's from Reptiles Direct - around $19.95 each. Last time I checked the local Pet Store there were over $50 so even with the $15 shipping ordering one is still a lot cheaper.....buy 2 or 3 and a couple of other items and it starts to look pretty good.

I am not familiar with lizards - but if you are going to buy a UVB for light + heat during the day and CHE for night heat......Would you be better to just go the CHE for 24/7 heat and install a UVB light purely for the UVB?

Again....I am not across lizard requirements but it seems you are making the purchase of the UVB light more expensive by getting one that is basking as well as UVB when you already have a heat source planned with the CHE.

Why not give the little hatchie FN a nice heat pad on a thermostat and run it 24/7 so it can find a nice warm place to sleep at night and have an alternative spot to hide and heat up at the sametime when it's eaten during the day and give it a 10%UVA 10%UVB CFB + a bunnings spot light for heat during the day for basking (if you don't want to buy a MVB).
Best place to buy your enclosure furnature and fittings is via Ebay, pet shops are only going to rip you off on these , the only things I get from pet shops are crickets and the occasional tub of mealworms.

Last edited:
Im happy to pay that for the ceramic bulbs and I have for my Green Trees. But the actual UVB basking lights, they only last a few months!
Ill check eBay, anyone else know anywhere local. Hardwares ect..
There is no such thing as a UVB basking light unless it is mercury vapor, there are some getting around that state they are UVB/UVA but on the companies own website it becomes obvious they are not as they only regulate activity and stimulate appetite, not synthesise calcium into D3 as UVB does. I have had so many people come in to work and tell me about these $14 miracle basking lights, the company in question has a lot to answer for as people are keeping all sorts of lizards under this lighting and thinking they are actually providing UVB.

To the OP, did you get a caresheet from the breeder you bought your hatchie frilly off ?
It should give you it's UV (A and B requirements) and basking temp requirements.

There is no such thing as a UVB basking light unless it is mercury vapor, there are some getting around that state they are UVB/UVA but on the companies own website it becomes obvious they are not as they only regulate activity and stimulate appetite, not synthesise calcium into D3 as UVB does. I have had so many people come in to work and tell me about these $14 miracle basking lights, the company in question has a lot to answer for as people are keeping all sorts of lizards under this lighting and thinking they are actually providing UVB.

Are you referring to the Neodymium spots ?
personally when I use them I also always have a CFB that is rated to provide both 10% output in UVA and UVB.
I'm yet to change over to MVBs which seem to be recommended by lots of people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not give the little hatchie FN a nice heat pad on a thermostat and run it 24/7 so it can find a nice warm place to sleep at night and have an alternative spot to hide and heat up at the sametime when it's eaten during the day and give it a 10%UVA 10%UVB CFB + a bunnings spot light for heat during the day for basking (if you don't want to buy a MVB).
Best place to buy your enclosure furnature and fittings is via Ebay, pet shops are only going to rip you off on these , the only things I get from pet shops are crickets and the occasional tub of mealworms.

Sounds very familiar, what about keeping it in a plastic tub with scott towells for substrate

To the OP, did you get a caresheet from the breeder you bought your hatchie frilly off ?
It should give you it's UV (A and B requirements) and basking temp requirements.

Are you referring to the Neodymium spots ?
personally when I use them I also always have a CFB that is rated to provide both 10% output in UVA and UVB.
I'm yet to change over to MVBs which seem to be recommended by lots of people.

The Breeder did not give me a caresheet, I assumed these were readily available online from what I have seen. Is this not correct?

I've got two Eastern Water Dragons & a Bearded Dragon all under 100 watt philips spotlights from bunnings $6 for the pair... I use these in conjunction with 10.0 UVB compacts

A lot of people do the same... My critters are eating, shedding well & all very active..

I'm waiting for the ABDF store to get 100 watt MVB's back in stock which put out both UVA & UVB which are highly recommended by those who use them.

Also I would love to see some pics of your new addition & enclosure once you've got it all sorted :)

A breeder of pygmy beardies up this way uses the 12v Dichroic bulbs for all his lizards and he said to gently remove the glass lens on the front of the bulb and set it up as basking and UV, they are pretty cheap and very effective, from memory it was less than $20 for the whole kit including transformer, cable with plug, lamp holder and 1 bulb, he reckons that when you first try and remove the lens to buy a couple of extra 12v Dichroic bulbs in case you break 1 removing the lens, my daughter now has 1 set up in here pygmy enclosure and has no problems achieving 50 deg c at 30cm, i think it would be a very cheap way of setting up ie Dichroic basking during the day and CHE of a night time, oh and the breeder is a member here. :) ..............................Ron

Last edited:
A breeder of pygmy beardies up this way uses the 12v Diochronic bulbs for all his lizards and he said to gently remove the glass lens on the front of the bulb and set it up as basking and UV, they are pretty cheap and very effective, from memory it was less than $20 for the whole kit including transformer, cable with plug, lamp holder and 1 bulb, he reckons that when you first try and remove the lens to buy a couple of extra 12v Diochronic bulbs in case you break 1 removing the lens, my daughter now has 1 set up in here pygmy enclosure and has no problems achieving 50 deg c at 30cm, i think it would be a very cheap way of setting up ie Diochronic basking during the day and CHE of a night time, oh and the breeder is a member here. :) ..............................Ron

Friend(30+ yrs experience) has a large collection of small monitors swears by this method. Adopted it for mine. Nil apparent problems.

Dont use heat mats for dragons, they arnt capable of providing a high enough basking temp, my young dragons hot end is around 40 degrees.

well I just ordered a reptile grade mvb from ebay 30 odd dollars better then paying 70 at my local reptile shop couldn't find mvb anywhere else.

I've got two Eastern Water Dragons & a Bearded Dragon all under 100 watt philips spotlights from bunnings $6 for the pair... I use these in conjunction with 10.0 UVB compacts

Correct my naiveness but I always thought two different light spectrums would clash & possibly alter the uv qualities...?

uses the 12v Diochronic bulbs for all his lizards and he said to gently remove the glass lens on the front of the bulb and set it up as basking and UV, they are pretty cheap and very effective, ..Ron

I tried this once. "Tried" being the word.
How do the hell do you remove the glass lens?
Gently???
I honestly tried a hammer & nail to shatter the lens...even a screwdriver to chisel a wedge...no luck at all without risking damaging the entire bulb.

I tried this once. "Tried" being the word.
How do the hell do you remove the glass lens?
Gently???
I honestly tried a hammer & nail to shatter the lens...even a screwdriver to chisel a wedge...no luck at all without risking damaging the entire bulb.
I have also tried and failed to remove the len without breaking the reflector. There is a reptile branded diochronic bulb sold in pet shops without the lens but you pay more for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back