Frustrating childrens

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree with herpmado try to catch garden skinks as i think adult geckos are a bit large if that doesn't work try tiny quail if that doesn't work try ask a breeder in your area they have so many baby snakes they must had some with feeding issues

Nick

I rang the pet shop and the guy was helpful. Said to bring him back tomorrow and he will get him feeding for me.

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

Good on you Becca. If this animal has already been feeding, pretty silly to go getting geckos etc

Ok so dropped off Alchemy at the pet shop and the guy agreed with me that he needed food in him asap so he is going to force feed him today then get him eating by himself for me. As soon as my ir gun and new thermostat arrive ill have them running just to make sure that my temps were right even though i checked them.

Alchemy has been force fed at least he has something in his tummy now and hopefully he will take his next feed. The petshop is keeping me up dated

Alchemy has been force fed at least he has something in his tummy now and hopefully he will take his next feed. The petshop is keeping me up dated

Do you know if he was force fed or had an assist feed? Can you PM me the pet shop please, just out of interest.

Give it a really small click-clack, like a chinese container, have a warm area just big enough for him to curl up on between 33-38deg (let me stress the hotspot should be small, maybe an inch under the container, those small containers can warm up quick), give him some paper to hide under, a hide, ect- see how he goes then.

If it ate 8 times before you got it, I feel you must not have something right on your end, give this a shot and see what happens - I think force feeding a supposedly already eating snake is a stupid idea, you just need to get your husbandry right.

I'm surprised out of 4 pages of mostly crappy advice that no-one has asked for a picture of your setup, can you please put one up?

I had done all that...hes not my first hatchie. I know it has to be something im doing as he was eating previously. The enclosure he is in is with him at the pet shop. The container was approx 15 cm long by about 10 cm
It was wat he came in and had previously ate in. Paper towel for him to hide in and toilet roll and fresh clean water. His heat was controlled by a thermostat. I have ordered a new one and ir thermometer to ensure all my temps are as they should be in case my thermostat is faulty.

Was it one of those cheap thermostats? They can be way out.

It wasnt cheap. But a few people have said the expensive ones are just as good as the cheap ones. I love my animals and take there care very seriously. The main thing is he will live.

So i rang the pet shop that has been force feeding my hatchling to find out he had passed away on tuesday morning. Very upset and they hadnt even called me to tell me. Apparently they have a replacement lined up for me but im going in tomorrow to talk to them. Rip alchemy :‘(

I would be very surprised Becca is it was EVER eating. Otherwise they would be able to get it back on food.

So i rang the pet shop that has been force feeding my hatchling to find out he had passed away on tuesday morning. Very upset and they hadnt even called me to tell me. Apparently they have a replacement lined up for me but im going in tomorrow to talk to them. Rip alchemy :‘(

Sorry to hear :(

Fay - i think there was an underlying problem or like you said he had never eaten by himself. Poor little thing.
It was making me doubt everything iv done and everything i know cause i just couldnt get him eating.

Jacecy - i know its bs. Im not a happy snake mama at all

I find it odd that they instantly resorted to force feeding. sounds like this store didnt know a whole lot about their reptiles. i would be worried about getting another off them in case the problem was a virus or parasites etc.

I will not be getting another animal from them i will be getting a refund

I have never had to force feed any of my spotted pythons, however I have a jungle carpet python who I am assist feeding as he will not eat on his own despite me trying every trick I can think of. What I have found with this little guy is, that after a month of assist feeding; he is starting to respond much better to feeding. I was not keen on assist feeding at first, however I believe that I have made the right decision for his health.

I have a childrens and when I first got her she didnt want to eat for 6 weeks. Turns out that I did not have a small enough hide for her to be in and the enclosure she was in was too big. I did have to brain the mouse before she showed any interest. I still have to now and I basically shove it in her face until she takes it. For her to eat now I have to brain and cut off the whiskers as it freaks her out. She is eating a lot better. At first it took about 20 minutes for her to grab it (reheating it in hot water over and over again) and now its only taking about 2.

I really wish you good luck. I understand the stress cause I went through it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back