Red belly black snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a couple of my eastern brown bubs trying to bite while still sitting in the egg so all i can say is keep dreaming your first bite will come

No wonder the gov make it hard to keep elapids you guys make it sound like all elapids are out to kill every human and take over the world. Treated with respect and handled Calmly most elapids ive dealt with can be mid bodied and free handled including tigers etc. you guys ever seen pictures of cann snr handling death adders and tigers, five or six per hand mid body.20 yrs handling elapids and I ain't been tagged yet so I must be doing something right, or do you need to get tagged every now and then to get your respect and call yourself experienced.

Plenty of people have freehandled elapids it is not something that sets you apart from others. It just means that you take the occasional calculated risk. As for having been bitten or not.... Well if you freehandle the score will be settled in the end. I have no problem with you taking risks but telling other people to take a risk because they should be fine is stupid.

The government makes it difficult because as a general rule! ' most people are stupid'. Im starting to doubt how experienced you are... Really, you should know better....

No wonder the gov make it hard to keep elapids you guys make it sound like all elapids are out to kill every human and take over the world. Treated with respect and handled Calmly most elapids ive dealt with can be mid bodied and free handled including tigers etc. you guys ever seen pictures of cann snr handling death adders and tigers, five or six per hand mid body.20 yrs handling elapids and I ain't been tagged yet so I must be doing something right, or do you need to get tagged every now and then to get your respect and call yourself experienced.

The problem with saying this sort of stuff is that on a public forum, the inexperienced or worse young people could read through this and think "no big deal". I have seen all sorts of stuff over the years some good, some bad. Some were also lucky, quite a few were not. Someone with twenty or thirty years experience behind them is not the same as someone who has had a Carpet for a year, reads threads like this, and thinks "I'll have a go...". I am all for keeping Venomous animals, but it has to be done responsibly so that the very real dangers are minimised for both the handler/keeper and other people around. To dismiss the real danger of some of the most venomous animals on earth let alone advocate others doing so is hardly sensible.

I like red bellieds.
tn_IMG_0114-1.jpg

20 yrs handling elapids and I ain't been tagged yet so I must be doing something right, or do you need to get tagged every now and then to get your respect and call yourself experienced.

took twenty two years of keeping for a proper chew to put me in intensive care, you'll get yours yet :)

I do think you make a valid point in regards to the manner in which many people exaggerate the dangerous nature of australian elapids, but I am also very hesitant to promote the keeping of these animals. It is clear to me that many people on this site do not think enough about the logical consequences of decisions they make and therefore are not suited to these animals.

Each to their own in my opinion.. Just because you haven't been tagged as of yet does not mean that you are not going to. Likewise for those who have had nippy younguns(snakes you muppets, not kids), it doesn't mean that all are out to nab you.. Whilst I agree that a 6yr old should not be handling an elapid regardless of the breed, I believe Wrightpython (you don't mind if I call you WP do you?) only brought it up as an example of the experience they have had whereas others have had different experiences.

Each individual has had different experiences and whilst we disagree with some things, we all agree on one which is, "Don't let your guard down". As the consequences are too great. All in my opinion of course.

I have not, to date, kept any elapids but I plan to in the near future (don't tell the wife) and whilst I read and learn from everyone, I still do not take it as gospel and believe that's what every snake is like. We choose to listen and learn from others but ingrain our experience with our own efforts. it's up to the OP to take what had been said and decide on what to take on board. Liken it to taking a firearm and promising it's never misfired, just because it hasn't to date, doesn't mean it won't in the future

Disclaimer: This is the Internet, I have had a glass of Whisky and draw on minimal personal experience with elapids (minus relocation and courses) and only on that which I have read and been told about. Take the above on board with a minimal pinch of salt.

S

- - - Updated - - -

Ps, good luck with however you progress OP and make sure you get us some pictures when the new addition comes home.

No-Two that is a gorgeous looking RBB. 8)

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am interested in getting a RBB at some stage.
What sort of price is involved and where to get the best info on keeping them etc that would be great.
I have done a venomous snake handlers course in the past and some removals but for my own good I will look into more training before finally purchasing one.

Interesting thread too by the way people, some good points being made from both sides.
Thanks in advance for any info received :)

Cheers Pat

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, i cant believe people are advising to free handle Vens. That has to be the stupidest thing to tell someone to do. Do you know the persons experience level? do you know the temperament of the snake they are handling? can you guarantee that there is no chance of a freak accident? Maybe you got lucky for 10 or 20 or even 50 years, that doesnt mean the next guy will be so lucky. To promote free handling a deadly animal is reckless and idiotic. People need to think before they offer advice.

rbbs are cooly cool
cant wait to get one eventually :)

Last edited:
Jm.... My book covers them and other elapids fairly comprehensively..... Pm geckodan on here for copies

Well said.......like you said everyone has different experiences and these experiences do make for valuable information......when it comes down to it though the OP should maybe spend some time with his mate that already owns elapids, get used to being around them and actually see how a keeper looks after, handles, interacts etc with them and then when he is ready to own one he can decide for himself what kind of keeper he wants to be with his elapids and what level of risk he is willing to take with them. Every individual is different.....every reptile is different. The OP should definitely keep in mind though that there always has been and will always be a level of risk in owning reptiles......elapids or otherwise. :)

Each to their own in my opinion.. Just because you haven't been tagged as of yet does not mean that you are not going to. Likewise for those who have had nippy younguns(snakes you muppets, not kids), it doesn't mean that all are out to nab you.. Whilst I agree that a 6yr old should not be handling an elapid regardless of the breed, I believe Wrightpython (you don't mind if I call you WP do you?) only brought it up as an example of the experience they have had whereas others have had different experiences.

Each individual has had different experiences and whilst we disagree with some things, we all agree on one which is, "Don't let your guard down". As the consequences are too great. All in my opinion of course.

I have not, to date, kept any elapids but I plan to in the near future (don't tell the wife) and whilst I read and learn from everyone, I still do not take it as gospel and believe that's what every snake is like. We choose to listen and learn from others but ingrain our experience with our own efforts. it's up to the OP to take what had been said and decide on what to take on board. Liken it to taking a firearm and promising it's never misfired, just because it hasn't to date, doesn't mean it won't in the future

Disclaimer: This is the Internet, I have had a glass of Whisky and draw on minimal personal experience with elapids (minus relocation and courses) and only on that which I have read and been told about. Take the above on board with a minimal pinch of salt.

S

- - - Updated - - -

Ps, good luck with however you progress OP and make sure you get us some pictures when the new addition comes home.

A guide to Australian snakes elapids and colubrids by Scott Eipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back