Small Varanid Heating Dichroic/GU10 Lights

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Demansiaphile

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I've been using GU10 downlights on a number of small varanid over the last 8 months. Great on the wallet and last much longer than flood lights.

I was wondering if anyone is using GU10 Dichroic bulbs that produce UV?

I know several keepers do, but I can not find the particular brand that will let me remove the glass lense cap by scrapping a knife across the seal.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Try turning it on for half an hour to melt the glue then prise it off as soon as it's cool enough to handle.

Re the National ones. Sand around the lip...not across it.

These lights can produce uvc if glass filter is removed, not very healthy for your reptile.

I would suggest not removing the glass because if the halogen bulb explodes (yes it does happen) your reptile will be covered in 150c glass shards which im sure cant be a good thing.

Rick

Unfortunately halogens even with the glass removed are insufficient as a UVB source. There's a company (a big one that you'll all know) that actually makes a halogen without the glass and markets it as a source of UV. On the pack in small writing it says, 'Not to be used as a primary source of UVB'. As stated above, halogens tend to explode when they blow and I'm surprised that this company would even have this product on the market.

A word of warning also; I had a bank of these with the glass filters removed as a heat source for a young male lace monitor and the bulbs exposure created hotspots which caused a burn on the monitors upper back. Perhaps this wont be an issue with a more desert adapted species?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back