Monitor growth and sizes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

intoxicated88

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I,ve been looking into monitor's a fair bit the last few weeks. And wondering whats the smallest monitor for an adult and what would the enclosure requirements be.?

I'd suggest some further research (from googling "Australian monitor species" and then looking each up, or buying a good book such as Danny Brown's new book on monitor species - Geckodan » Danny Brown » The Bookshop - Page 1) as it sounds like you have performed next to no research and want to be spoon fed the information which to me would indicate, even taking into consideration that some of the smaller monitors are easy to keep, that you are not ready to be able to provide a suitable long term home for them.

somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed!!!.
not that i have had much experience with the smaller monitors i have purchased, and read "keeping and breeding australian lizards" edited by mike swan. it has got a wealth of information and should be able to answer every question you have. it di with me. other than that ive searched this forum with good success and google. hope that helps mate

Varanus Brevicauda is the smallest Australian monitor but I think you may be more looking for something like Varanus Acanthurus.

I'd suggest some further research (from googling "Australian monitor species" and then looking each up, or buying a good book such as Danny Brown's new book on monitor species - Geckodan » Danny Brown » The Bookshop - Page 1) as it sounds like you have performed next to no research and want to be spoon fed the information which to me would indicate, even taking into consideration that some of the smaller monitors are easy to keep, that you are not ready to be able to provide a suitable long term home for them.
That monitor book seems awesome defiantly A must for any keeper. I already have an Acanthurus and thinking of purchasing some Tristis later in the year when hatching season roles around.

He asked for advice and thats what he got.

I offered advice which included a link, and suggestion on how best to go about this interest in monitor species. It was just to me at least, very apparent that not much research has been performed and to have apparently researched for weeks and still not found the answers to those questions indicates that some further research would benefit (with advice on how to do so). People just need to take a deep breath and relax. Just because someone on the internet says something which isn't how you think the question should be anwsered doesn't mean that they are not helping out at all. If intoxicated takes my advice he/she will have the answers they need in a matter of hours along with everything else they need to successfully keep small monitor species.

Last edited by a moderator:
That monitor book seems awesome defiantly A must for any keeper. I already have an Acanthurus and thinking of purchasing some Tristis later in the year when hatching season roles around.

Hatching season for tristis has been and gone for the year. Hatchlings are selling now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hey guys sorry for my post anyway i got up at 5:30 and was getting ready for work and just wanted some quick info and opinions from people on the forum cause every one has different info so id just like to say sorry and i plan on doing more research. thanks to every one helping

Like andy said, ackies (Ridge-Tailed Monitors) would probably be the perfect place to start for small monitor species! Make sure you look at the NSW legslation as they have strict guide lines on enclosure sizing...other then that books, google and this site are great starters for finding info! Good luck and have fun :)

I would have thought coming on here and asking questions would also constitute research, or is reading books and searching the internet the only form of research that is valid, we tell people to ask questions of everyone to get a wide scope of information so that when they do commit to buying an animal they are armed with all the neccisary info for keeping that animal happy and healthy, So at what point do YOU feel the OP is ready to fulfill his obligations after making the statement : you are not ready to be able to provide a suitable long term home for them, IMO the OP has done the right thing coming here and asking for more info so more power to him :) ..........................Ron

Unfortunately some people are under the impression that members on here know a thing or two about reptiles and are willing to help. The fools ;)

LOL ha ha ha Skeptic, i was not ready for that, now i have to clean up the coffee i sprayed all over my monitor :) ..............................Ron

I would have thought coming on here and asking questions would also constitute research, or is reading books and searching the internet the only form of research that is valid, we tell people to ask questions of everyone to get a wide scope of information so that when they do commit to buying an animal they are armed with all the neccisary info for keeping that animal happy and healthy, So at what point do YOU feel the OP is ready to fulfill his obligations after making the statement : you are not ready to be able to provide a suitable long term home for them, IMO the OP has done the right thing coming here and asking for more info so more power to him :) ..........................Ron

You really can't win on forums can you? You have not offered any advice, rather you've chosen to pick my helpful response apart in order to achieve what?

To answer your question, the OP is ready to keep the species when they are able to provide some form of information before asking questions. Nothing against the OP they have explained themselves but before that explanation all that was available to me was a post which was seeking someone to do all the work for them (again I repeat this has already been explained I am not having a go at the OP).

So if the original question was a general "what's the smallest australian monitor species" or "I've been looking into $@&* monitors, what size enclosure does everyone use" question then it isn't asking for everyone to do the work for them.

You really can't win on forums can you? You have not offered any advice, rather you've chosen to pick my helpful response apart in order to achieve what?

To answer your question, the OP is ready to keep the species when they are able to provide some form of information before asking questions. Nothing against the OP they have explained themselves but before that explanation all that was available to me was a post which was seeking someone to do all the work for them (again I repeat this has already been explained I am not having a go at the OP).

So if the original question was a general "what's the smallest australian monitor species" or "I've been looking into $@&* monitors, what size enclosure does everyone use" question then it isn't asking for everyone to do the work for them.

Reciting knowledge you have attained isn't really work. It's a pleasure :)

It's not like we're all part of some sort of competition and the person with the most knowledge at the end wins so I don't really get your point about the OP wanting everyone else to do the work for them.

To the OP, Accies are a common small monitor and a lot of people go with them for their first. I personally went for a sandy and I love it but they aren't all that small :) I can't remember the specific cage requirements but you'll find them here. http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/wildlifelicences/20130185ReptileCode.pdf

A good small monitor would be gillens. A 4x4x2 enclosure is ample room, with lots of branches. They jump around like clowns! Very entertaining to watch! Tristis and Ackies are also good. But what do YOU want?

I personally will go for a spencers monitor if and when I think I am ready for one as that is the monitor that I really like. I would not like to buy a monitor just because it was easy as it would never be the monitor that I really wanted.

I personally will go for a spencers monitor if and when I think I am ready for one as that is the monitor that I really like. I would not like to buy a monitor just because it was easy as it would never be the monitor that I really wanted.

Im starting with ackies as i like them and will move onto spencers once i have space for them, we have some pretty amazing monitors :)

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back