Partitioning Water Or Not?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher69

Reaction score
This is in relation to my other thread about cutting perspex...

I'm currently converting a 4 foot tank into a vivarium for my growing Green Tree Frogs.

I'm undecided whether I should partition the water section to one side (with strip of perspex) OR just flood the whole tank & then build up the land/substrate area above the water level?

I guess I'm after Pros & Cons.

Whether I use soil & real plants or just stick to fake plants, pebbles & driftwood will all depend on what I do about the water....

I would put a shelf in halfway up the tank and extend it half way along the length and use that for a land area,bottom section all water.

you could partition off 1/2 the tank, put a row of bricks with holes across the tank then fill in one side of the tank with very big river pebbles, put a filter and heater on the water side, and maybe some small fish/shrimps. the top layer of the pebbles will stay dry and the frogs will use it as land.

you could put a divider in but leave some holes so the entire tank is flooded, then put a false floor over one end. Hide filter etc under the false floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you leave it open and use a raft for plants with their roots in the water
the roots will strip nitrates plus give cover for shrimp etc
that will minimise the need for a big filter

Cheers.
All good points.
My main concern is that everything I've read about GTF states a dry & not humid environment...then again my GTFs spend most of their time sitting in water waiting for food.

Yes, I intend to use filtration in the water as well as ammonia & charcoal to "detox" the water.
I guess i'm just concerned that an extra volume of water may increase the risks of unwanted bacteria & infections into the enclosure.
I also like the notion that having soil & real plants will break down the frogs droppings into nutrients.

I would use something to hold the land area together, other wise it will just soak up water and slump down, the structural integrity of the land would be my worry. Even if it's just a few larger rocks as a bit of support.

I've partitioned the water to one area but have decided on no soil but large pebbles & driftwood instead.
I've got a lot of fake plants for hiding & may try one or two small potted live plants to see how they strive.

My experience using soil in other vivs is that it's looks all nice, pretty & natural....until you wake up the next morning & discover every inch of glass covered in muddy frog footprints.

I literally just finished converting my bub beardies old glass tank into more space for my froggies and was having this exact debate. I ended up partipnong the water off roughly half in a glass tub, I don't have a filter, I did this so I can change the water as often as possible. I found when the bottom of the tank was flooded - crickets, poo, pebbles, rocks and all the other mess got mixed together and was such a pain to clean ! I was worried that having Half water half land, the humidity won't be as good. Sorry I know this thread was left a wile ago but question - do you guys have additional heating in winter, I have a heat matt and water heater on the water side but nothing on the dry side because I didn't want boiling rocks burning ma fwags.....

And yes one day I will invest in a filter so I'm not slaving over keeping water clean

Sorry I know this thread was left a wile ago but question - do you guys have additional heating in winter, I have a heat matt and water heater on the water side but nothing on the dry side because I didn't want boiling rocks burning ma fwags.....

Heh.. I asked the same question last week & sadly got no response.
From what I have read...depending on where you live, no additional heating is required (apart from water heater) as long as temps don't drop below 10C for long periods.
However I have no source of answer whether "long periods" is measured in hours, days or weeks.

And yes one day I will invest in a filter so I'm not slaving over keeping water clean

Even one of those ornamental water features will do the job. I've semi-immersed mine into the water area of the enclosure so it's circulating the entire water body & not just within the ornament itself. I've also packed the ornament with small satchels of charcoal & ammonia to help keep the water clean.

just thoughts id add with my green tree frogs, even in the summer i use heat lights in their tank to keep it between 27-32 degrees, your frogs will grow faster and do so much better with heat during the winter, yes they do not need it, but they will love it, i have 12 greens atm in 2 different vivs and i find during the colder months they will move and sit closer to the heat lights or spend longer periods in the water which is kept at 28 degrees, if your aim is 'growing your frogs' which i think thats what you said, i would def's invest in heating for the rest of the tank, not just the water

Thanks cypher ! Yeah I think I will invest in the filter with the next tank upgrade which will be 3 ft and I will flood the bottom ft filter heh. Yeah I wouldn't think it would be the best to leave a tropical animal in less than 10 deg anymore than a day. Yeah I used to heat the tank during winter with an additional light, but found they were happier without, (like that spring they attempted mating and stuff and were so loud and hoppy) but now that I have upgraded to a bigger tank I might heat the other side with another light because the heated water vapour mivht not be enough to keep the ambient temp warm enough ad they will spend all their time in the water. Just concerned about the over head light making the land part too dry ! I like hearing other people's oppinions thankkkks guys !

And jazii! I love your animal list... One this, one that .... And like 100 frogs hahah so cute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back