Calm your Snake ;)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murtletheturle

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!!
I was just wondering how is the best way to calm a fiesty python and get it to trust me?
Also, can rats live on sand?
Any help is appreciated
Cheers

provide lots of hides and make him feel safe.
make sure he is in an appropriately sized enlcosure that's not too big for him.
if he's new, handle him every so often (once every 4-5 days) for short periods of time (5- 10 minutes)
if he isn't new, handle him every couple of days for small periods of time
if he's expecting food when you open his enclosure, feed him outside of it in a feeding tub to minimise his expectation of being fed when he sees your hand.
if he's cage defensive, remove him with a hook before handling.
Make sure that when you want to get him out, his hissing and striking doesn't deter you- you need to make sure that his behaviour is going to get him nowhere, and when that door opens, he is coming out.

just a few tips.. What is he, how old is he and how long have you had him?

He is a bredli, he is about 1.8 years old and i have had him for about 1 year, also my jungle is a snappy - He is about the same age and i had him since he was a few months old, he has always been snappy
:(

I try to handle him once a night execpt obviously the night that i feed him and the night after but he just swings around and tries to bite me :(

Has he behaved that way since you've had him? Is he cage defensive also?

How long do you handle him for...and also- how do you react when he strikes out?

Personally, I would hold back maybe and give him a few nights off between handlings. If he's actually biting you rather than just striking, he's obviously freaking out (for whatever reason)... Maybe refrain from holding him for awhile and try after a few days. He's not hungry, is he?

Hello Murtletheturtle, some snakes always remain a bit "bitey" regardless of how your animal husbandry is set up. Speaking from personal experience, One of my snakes is a five year old blonde spotted girl who was calm and placid for the first three and a half years. I even took her to school for vacation care and she was held by 28 kids who had a happy snap taken and laminated to take home. Not one issue at all, not even a hiss or headbutt. Then I had her "snake-sat" by a mate when I went away for a while. I always hook all my critters out of their enclosures when it's time for a play, and told my mate to use the hook. He ignored the advice and grabbed her out by hand every time, which turned her into a little monster. No matter what I do, what i try or how I do it, she has remained a biting *****. i still get her out using the hook and handle for five or so minutes every five days or so, but she remains a defensive biter. Kinda getting used to having a thumb or finger hanging out of her gob now! All anyone can suggest is to make sure all the parameters in her enclosure are spot on - then persist in gentle handling every four or five days and see how they go. I have seen some members post on here that they wrap a pillowcase around their hands first, never tried that, but it could work! Just make sure not to handle before a feed - or you'll cop a feed response bite and wrap, and that can be a ***** to get undone! That's all you can do! Best of luck with it champ, get plenty of band-aids and used to the sight of your blood!!!

what are they like during the day ?

imo STOP trying to handle them every night , i think that in some cases this can be the worst thing to do , and might just be your problem

i got a coastal that was a night mare when i got him (few years old when purchased ) i dont think his previous owner was the best of owners either so could of had a reason as to why he was like it , the moment that door opened he would instantly get up in the "S" position and start hissing and striking

i tried the handling regularly bit , just got me bit it did ;) :)

then i tried a diffrent approach , i just let him do his thing and just be a snake with minimum interference/stress , it has worked absolute wonders , i still dont handle him regularly but when i get him out for a cage clean i can actually handle him now he still hisses and carries on sometimes but if his out and about and i open the door and let him come out his fine although this has taken about a year so it definitely takes patience

also look at your handling methods , i dont just go in and grab any of my snakes , i would hate it if someone did that to me and id probably give them a good whack for it myself , approach them slowly but with confidence and try not to be ruff with them

good luck , the above has worked for me and as i said maybe just let them simply be a snake and get used to you in their time through the glass where they feel safe , sooner or later their going to realise your no threat

I try to handle him once a night...

Handling at night is possibly the worst time to handle a snake, as that's when they're most active (hunting) !

Try handling during the day when he's not expecting food and is more calm! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you handling your snake to benefit the snake or to benefit yourself? Is it necessary to be handling the snake when it obviously dislikes it? Do you have a snake so you can play with it or it can play with you? Maybe this snake isn't interested in human interaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back