some advice on what is the best sort of light bulbs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bundyboar78

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi just starting out again with new enclosure want to get it right this time . Was wanting to know what are people opinion on brands and type of bulbs . My snake is a coastal python . He is in a 3 foot enclosure all timber except front doors are glass. Wanting to know when do I have his light on . Will only have the one light fitted up . I have been having his light on at night only and dat off but I think this isn't right . I'm a beginner know nothing about them . Have been doing my research and talking to alot of people but everyone tells you something different. This snake has never had lightening or heat on him before I bought him . He is 15 months old I have had him for 3 months . Thanks any advice would be great .

No light, no heat for 12 months? Are you sure it's a snake and not a form of fungus? Seriously though, get a thermostat to control a heat source ASAP as winter is upon us and cram that research as you have put the horse before the cart.

Yes I thought the same thing 12months in an tiny clic clac that's what she had told me also told me he was eating without fail every week frozen rats well no she sold me a troubled snake. After 8 weeks of him not eating the last 2 weeks ive had to feed him live . Which he has been scoughing down . Back to the lights in using a infared night light at moment but I want to change this as I don't think it putting out enough heat want to know what sort of bulb should I put in light bulb ( ceramic / party light ? )

get a normal 100w light bulb from woolies $5 for 2. make sure you have a light cage. or go a ceramic heat emitter. he should have heat during the day (for a day/night cycle). you should also invest in a thermostat.

how do you have a snake for 3 months without knowing these things? i would not be suprised if your snake has a respiratory infection, so watch for bubbles around his nostrils and mouth and popping noises.

Ceramic are better as you don't have to continually change them like the party globes. Just be sure to cage the heat source to prevent any burns and control with a thermostat. A cheap TAC 2 (dial thermostat) should suffice.

I have had heating in his cage for the last 3 months I have been using the reptile ones brands but becacause there not cheap and talking to different people n hearing them say they use normal bulbs and party lights I dont want to use wrong thing. He has had heat mat and light since I have had him in his old enclosure with temps inside sitting around 31/33 warm end and 27 cool end bit because I have bought bigger enclosure his temps aren't anywhere near these temps so tomorrow I will be going to sort out different bulb thermostat. He is a happy boy no resperstory problems with him .

Party globes do an alright job but regular changing and watching for blown globes does become a headache.

That's just a reptile light infared red heat light (75w) with cage around it.
I just been looking on eBay there is so Many different ceramic lights. Arghhh so hard

So is it best to have there light on day and night or just day . I have been having this light on that is pictured during the night and it is off during the day .

Until you can get a thermostat night will probably be best as this will be when the greatest drop in temp. is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back