Video Free Handling RBB

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I think negatively about videos that accidentally promote copycat behaviour which I don’t think serve our hobby particularly well, I can't help admire this blokes genuine love and passion for snakes and his obvious message he was trying to get across. And it is refreshing to see absolutely no sign of ego. I know I could be good friends with this guy.

I don't have a problem with the video, but I think free handling elapids is taking a massive risk, specially the ones that can kill you. :p (and thank dog he isn't a total nut job like RH)
That RBB is a beautiful specimen though, and I didn't find anything bogan about any of the 3 vids I watched, he wasn't big noting himself, or saying what a tough bloke he was, he seemed very calm and knowledgable and certainly some beautiful snakes there.

did anyone notice the end of one finger is missing in the mulga footage? wonder if that was from a bite?

same old story.... someone finds a video or photo of a person free handling an elapid, its a big out cry of bogan /idiot from the uneducated but if he had a lacie climbing over him the same people wants to know how they got it that tame and don't see the risk. I would rather free handle a elapid then let a large monitor sit on my shoulders any day.

same old story.... someone finds a video or photo of a person free handling an elapid, its a big out cry of bogan /idiot from the uneducated but if he had a lacie climbing over him the same people wants to know how they got it that tame and don't see the risk. I would rather free handle a elapid then let a large monitor sit on my shoulders any day.

Agreed 100% so the uneducated goes out and pick up the fist RBB they see and everyone screams at them they are idiots and give snake keepers a bad name.

He is obviously very comfortable handling that particular snake but fair dinkum he shows no respect at all. Even handling its head. More power to him if that's what he does at home but think about the uneducated that watch these vids and then try and do the same thinking its all easy and no need to worry, hey it's only a RBB. I'm saying Bogan simply for publishing that vid. Would all you "educated people" advise a complete newb handle a RBB same as this guy is?

at least if tie réclame to it, there is a variety of very good antivenom and hospitals around that will most likely save your life in the case if an emergency. Particularly as the snake is identifiable in this case. If a big Lacie or similar starts shredding you, there isn't antivenin but just the hope that an artery isn't severed. And then there's the germs and infections brought about for a bite. So yes I'd rather and elapid than a large monitor. Agreed btsmorph

Agreed 100% so the uneducated goes out and pick up the fist RBB they see and everyone screams at them they are idiots and give snake keepers a bad name.

He is obviously very comfortable handling that particular snake but fair dinkum he shows no respect at all. Even handling its head. More power to him if that's what he does at home but think about the uneducated that watch these vids and then try and do the same thinking its all easy and no need to worry, hey it's only a RBB. I'm saying Bogan simply for publishing that vid. Would all you "educated people" advise a complete newb handle a RBB same as this guy is?

of course no one is saying anyone who isn't experienced should handle any elapid.... He has a lot of respect and understanding of body language, this is why he can handle the way he was without getting bitten. I ensure you that he didn't just start handling them like that, he has clearly put in a lot of time and effort it his snakes. I don't encourage anyone to handle elapids but they aren't all big monsters that just want to bite and kill you, like they are made out to be. Like any reptile they all have different ''personalities'' some can be handled others you wouldn't dream of it.

if you read his comments he has said he only handles his snakes which he has had since hatchlings, he never handles wild or even other peoples ''pet'' venomous snakes.

Many people say this is encouraging inexperienced people to go picking up snakes that have the potential to kill you. Firstly there is hardly any reason for someone to go and do something like that. Secondly, it is purely their decision and to blame it on someone who's made an excellent, well demonstrated video is ignorant and stupid. He never said to go and pick up any snake. He wasn't encouraging stupid behaviour. He was showing a beautiful animal and showing that it isn't a vicious killer and also demonstrating the relationship, trust and respect they give one another. And finally, anyone with the idiocy to go and pick up and snake may well get bitten and I'm sure that'd teach them a good lesson.

Last edited:
don't see what he is doing wrong you bunch of judgemental clowns, he is doing it at his own risk and not risking anyone elses life. he seems to have more knowledge about snakes than a fair few of us. it's because of members on APS being so argumentative, judgemental, obnoxious, arrogant and inconsiderate we don't have members like the one in the video.

The trouble is bananapeel the people that generally copy this behaviour are young herpers and if and when it does go wrong the hobby usually wears the negativity. Secondly to say it simply someone’s own business, if they get bitten, the taxpayers who foot the enormous bill for treatment think otherwise. I think this guy has a lot to offer and seems like a champ but perhaps he might have at least mentioned a warning about not getting away with this in the wild and then what he is doing may have pleased a just few more lol.

My all time favourite elapid ( maybe because it was the first elapid I ever kept). Oh well I will have to settle with my next favourite, the Spotted Mulga.

LOL i noticed he did not spend as much time around the pointy end of the Adder he is knowledgeable enough to know its body language, it struck a few times but the last time was a fair dinkum "ok you have had your fun now leave me alone". I was watching the time that RBBS spent in that guys lap which made me think, if a bite from a RBBS can effect sense of taste etc i wonder if it bit him on the trouser snake would it have long term effect on its performance ie the chinese use snake venom in virility potions, hmmm nah not worth thinking about :) ....................Ron

The trouble is bananapeel the people that generally copy this behaviour are young herpers and if and when it does go wrong the hobby usually wears the negativity. Secondly to say it simply someone’s own business, if they get bitten, the taxpayers who foot the enormous bill for treatment think otherwise. I think this guy has a lot to offer and seems like a champ but perhaps he might have at least mentioned a warning about not getting away with this in the wild and then what he is doing may have pleased a just few more lol.

Yes that's very true. Bit unfortunate that the hobby is given fault if such an event were to occur and of course as you said the money going towards the treatment and its production wouldn't like it but I think because I wouldn't watch the video then continue to pick up a deadly snake, I sort of expect that others wouldn't either. I put a bit too much faith and trust in others without realising that there are some people who wouldn't think twice before doing it so my bad there :/

Very much agree with that last comment and tbh I was expecting him to bring that up in at least one of the videos or comments/description that it isn't a good idea to. (Although he kind of indirectly said it when saying he handles animals only if his own and whom have been raised and handled by him since young)

So he's a bogan because he does something dangerous that someone might copy? So by that logic anyone who professionally rides motorbikes, races cars, boxes, plays football, does gymnastics or plays a character in an action movie is A bogan. Individual responsibility is dead, and it makes me sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back