Need help with speech

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchy88

Reaction score
So I got to do a 5 min speech of my choosing for a promotion course at work I was thinking of doin it on bearded dragons I'm jst gettin some input of what you guys and girls think would be some good topics to talk about? I was thinking things like husbandry, origins, breeding stuff like that what else do you think might be a good topic on bearded dragons to touch on any help greatly appricated haven't had to do a speech since high school

Other blokes on course of all ages probly of the age inbetween 20 up to 35 years old I'd say the majority of the course is mid twentys on average

Is it your job to be entertaining or if you bore the crap out of your audience doesn't it matter?

I can't be boring but it doesn't have to keep the audience captivated hanging off my every word I am being assets on how I present the topic and my talking abilities genetics would be cool and take up time but I'm thinking for people who don't know much about them and don't have a great interest in reptiles like us it may be abit boring

Maybe something on the future of the pet "industry" and the role of "exotic'' or non-traditional pets such as bearded dragons in this future?

You could address this in the global scope of things and perhaps use examples/statistics from USA and Europe.

Could talk about the human-animal bond in pets other than dogs/cat - in beardies etc..

Just some suggestions.

-Will

Different morphs would be interesting, and the exciting projects that are happening with leatherbacks and albinos globally.... talk $$$$ prices that silkies and leatherbacks, hypos are going for etc beacause money gets people interested... Whatever you do, DON'T picture the audience naked!!! I did it once, there was a hairy fat guy in the front row....

Some things can never be Un-envisioned! Good luck with your speech....

You probably won’t agree but here is how I see it...

I honestly think you are going about this back to front. You should be thinking about what you have to achieve and techniques before worrying about content. You need to be able to GRAB peoples’ attention straight up. You also need to give them a clear overview of what you intend to talk about. Once they are interested in what you have to say, you have to maintain that interest for 5 minutes of talking, which is a lot longer than it sounds. You need to round off what you been saying – a quick summary of the important things they should have gotten out of you talk. Every now and then you need to challenge your audience to think – this keeps them involved. You can point to people and rhetorical questions e.g. “What do YOU think? And YOU or YOU?” The question could be anything e.g. “What do you think YOU would do?” or “How would that make YOU feel?” or “Do YOU think that would be the right thing to do?” Would YOU care?” etc.

If you are nervous about looking directly at people’s faces, then maintain your gaze just above the faces in the back row. You appear to be looking at the audience that way even though you are not. Do move your gaze around from side to side as it is rude to stare.

This not a test of your ability to stand up and waffle for five minutes. It is a communication exercise to determine your ability in being able to effectively communicate to a large group. So your talk needs to be well structured and well practiced. Practice giving it at home 5 to10 times.

I would be googling “great public speaking techniques” “best topics for public speaking” etc.

As for topic, I would pick something everyone is familiar with e.g. cats and your talk might be on compulsory sterilisation of all cats; compact fluorescents and the fact they contain mercury and are not being recycled; cats, dogs and budgies and the dangers of children getting diseases from them; etc. If you think you can pull it off with a reptile topic, then go for it. Just remember not to use technical terms and hobby jargon that others will not know the meaning of.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back