Nsw pet shops

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robpiersen

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Very happy that my local shop is close you getting their reptiles in. But am wondering wether the prices will be incredibly high or if they will be forced to compete with breeder prices. Any thoughts on this from other states about the difference from breeder to pet shop ?

In Queensland they a slightly dearer than from the breeder. Not so long ago one particular sponsor of the site had pythons and lizards listed for sale in the for sale section on here but I can not seem to find any of theres on here. It also used to be very plain specimens for sale but now some shops have some really nice looking snakes and even albino or hyper melanistic varieties of blue tongues.

If you look at previous threads on this you will see that yes the prices can be a little higher ,but that's to be expected as the shops have to pay for their license heating and feeding and I am sure they will be giving quality after sales advice and help . In FNQ last year and we saw some Sydney blue tounge's for $450 and they looked similar to the wild ones in my backyard ( nice but nothing special ) Not to say that breeders don't have the same expenses :D

l am not a knocker of pet-shops because anyone with "half a brain" must realize they have a lot of weekly/on-going expenses, with realestate going for $20.00 a square meter a week ^upwards^ and staff related costs (wages) and the costs of holding onto stock and then ppl come on this site and others and complain about the prices as a "faceless keyboard warrior" well the last time l looked around l lived in OZ have a look "maybe" get a free idea on something but to come on here and whinge well l believe you could spend your time better just saying solar 17

Wasn't knocking shops just asking what the go in other states was as nsw has never had reptiles in shops.

Shops are for covenience and service. If you are mainly concerned about price then the net might be best.

We had reptiles in pet shops over 40 years ago rob.Shops will charge as much as they can and if they dont sell the price will be lower its just economics.
Onley some petshops will be licensed as its expensive,very limited species with lots of red tape.
If they want to sell reptiles at an expo they will be slugged for an additional license for that temporary stall .
Wont be long and those without a commercial license will be pushed out of expos ,its all about revenue.

It's not a concern with price but if a breeder will take $100 and a shop $500 i know what I'd prefer.

Funny that this should come up... I was in the local pet shop today helping a client buy the appropriate supplies for her hatchling, which she picked up from me at the same time. Afterwards the owner approached me about being a possible supplier. Obviously things will vary from shop to shop, but his intention is to sell reptiles for roughly the going rate. He may charge $50 more than a breeder, but he is not going to pay breeders full price because he has to wear the overhead, permit costs, etc. His prices for gear are not too much more than online and he stocks a great selection, which is why I had a client there in the first place. I might sell a few animals through him, as I am convinced that he will have a reasonable setup (most animals will not be on display) and has enough herp experience to give good advice to customers as well as to care properly for the animals. He will be selling reptiles that he breeds, so he has a vested interest in doing it right.

I don't think that most good pet stores will sell outrageously expensive animals because it is easy to find out how much a reptile SHOULD cost. Then again, look at the prices for mongrel puppies in shopping malls...

The stores in Melbourne that do well keep their prices low as they realise what and who they are competing against. Of course they will always be a little higher regardless due to forces already outlined.

We dont have many reptiles in petshops here in SA but a few do carry them, our reptile stores do but they are breeders and dont normally buy in unless they are unusual (angle headed dragons ect.) Beardies are around $70-$90 where as breeders are around $30-$60 for normal yellows/oranges.

Prices vary but sometimes we get a steal, we had western bluetongues at $80 i think, where breeders are selling for $150-$300 (this was a petshop not a reptile store).

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back