Starter monitor lizard?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin8290

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have recently considered buying a monitor and would like to start with a smaller one that's slightly easier to care for then the larger ones . I have done little to no research on them and would just like to know what species would be best suited so I can research that species specifically and not just monitors in general so I can care for it more precisely. Does anyone know of any good books and care sheets? I could google for the smallest species but I would prefer to hear it from you guys that actually keep them. Cheers.

ridge tailed monitors are great starter monitors. i have 2 and they are great and easy to care for.

ridge tailed monitors are great starter monitors. i have 2 and they are great and easy to care for.
How best do you keep such a high temp all year around? It's been droppin to about 1 degree each night here so it's hard to even keep my snakes warm enough with 250 watts bulbs each . What globe and what watt do you use?

250 wat globes, also on freezing nights i will switch on the heat mat as well. mine are babies so i am not cooling them, therefore i will keep the heat up all winter. also everything is connected to thermostats so wen it does start warming up during the day the temp will stay the same and not over heat.

I think I may have to wait untill winter is over before I purchase a young one as it is hard enough maintaining a temp of at least 30 over night for my snakes while using a 250 watt bulb let alone a temp of 60+.

I am also unsure of if they require UV light as I have read some places that they require it and others that they don't. I think I will be err'ing on the side of supplying one just Incase but I would certainly like to know if it's required simply for the sake of curiosity .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back