should i be worries at all?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_brown

Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
Hey guys so i have a 3 months old diamond, and as i was feeding it today i saw like a small ant run around on one of the rocks i have so i squished it with my finger and he died instantly pretty much, was wonder whether it could be a termite, keep in mine i put new branches etc in to her cage the other day but soaked it under water for around 24 hours and left it in the sun to dry and cleaned it again and then put it in the enclosure, and just another quick question when she goes to eat she sus's it out first and then have to nag her a bit before she actually strikes is this normal with hatchlings?

Hey guys so i have a 3 months old diamond, and as i was feeding it today i saw like a small ant run around on one of the rocks i have so i squished it with my finger and he died instantly pretty much, was wonder whether it could be a termite, keep in mine i put new branches etc in to her cage the other day but soaked it under water for around 24 hours and left it in the sun to dry and cleaned it again and then put it in the enclosure, and just another quick question when she goes to eat she sus's it out first and then have to nag her a bit before she actually strikes is this normal with hatchlings?

my yearling coastal has just started the same but a hatchie smashes the same size mouse over and over and is getting to be a closer size in the last month or so as he eats like a pig.
it may have just been a little black ant that came in for a visit?

I doubt either would be a worry(ants or termites) to your snake. How big is your enclosure? I usually keep my hatchlings in a click clack for the first 9 months at least.

I have a diamond that I have to gently 'smack' in the side of the head with the mouse to get it to strike it!!

Follows it all around the enclosure (on the end of the tongs) but won't strike at it until it 'strikes' at him!!

Mites are a lot smaller than ants and they would be on your snake or in the water bowl. Believe it or not , your snake will feel more comfortable in a confined space while it is young and vulnerable.

Mites are a lot smaller than ants and they would be on your snake or in the water bowl. Believe it or not , your snake will feel more comfortable in a confined space while it is young and vulnerable.

Very true mine have been in 5 L click clacks and love it

Mites are useually dark red and like a moving grain of sugar. as said before they will be in the water bowl. And all over the snake

so u guys sure its not mites....... my guy doesnt hide at all his chilling on branches all the time :D but what about the wild diamond thats born in the wild they have all that room to move around doesnt that stress them out??
Not sure without seeing but yes a wild diamond will get freaked out if it cannot find a secure hiding spot. Each snake is different but in general a young snake will seek cover. Is it possible that the hide you have provided is not warm enough for your snake to hide in?

the thing is i have hollo bark's of wood and if i count he probs has around 4-5 places he can if he wants too he warm end is around 30c so its find he was hiding in the hide before i put the branches etc now he barley is in there he loves the hollo bark's of wood

dead ant, dead ant, deadant deadant deadant... wrong time to go rock climbing, your drunk ant go home!! oh you cant your a dead ant!
someone had to do it

so u guys sure its not mites....... my guy doesnt hide at all his chilling on branches all the time :D but what about the wild diamond thats born in the wild they have all that room to move around doesnt that stress them out??

You would be surprised just how far a young wild python does not move around in all that room they have. They spend most of their time in a very small secure place (ie - under a rock) where they are away from any likely predators - like birds - that will detect their uncovered movement very easily.

Last edited:
i understand that but it doesnt seem to bother him the enclosure i have at the moment isnt HUGE but he seems to like it, everytime he S's and i put my hand in there he comes close to it and just crawl onto my hand its like he knows im not gonna hurt him my brother tried the other day and BAM snapped at him instantly after that ONLY i take him out of the enclosure its like we bonded the day i got him... i even put my hand in there after he had a feed and he did the same thing he enjoy's being handled its quite weird for a hatchling but my guy doesnt seem to care

i understand that but it doesnt seem to bother him the enclosure i have at the moment isnt HUGE but he seems to like it, everytime he S's and i put my hand in there he comes close to it and just crawl onto my hand its like he knows im not gonna hurt him my brother tried the other day and BAM snapped at him instantly after that ONLY i take him out of the enclosure its like we bonded the day i got him... i even put my hand in there after he had a feed and he did the same thing he enjoy's being handled its quite weird for a hatchling but my guy doesnt seem to care
Handling your snake straight after he has been fed can sometimes cause regurgitation and is not advisable.

So long as you have hides you will be fine. A lot of people swear by click clacks and for very skittish snakes they are right, the smaller the space the better but if you have a placid one you will be fine.

Mine have lived in their "forever home" since day 1, and because there were 3 separate hides for them, one at the cool end, one in the middle and one at the hot end they have never been bothered by it.

If your snake isn't fussed by being in a large enclosure, putting him in a click clack isn't necessary :)

I just want to clear up that there is many ways to keep reptiles that will work and I am not saying your way is wrong or won't work but just trying to offer advice to you and other newbie keepers that I consider to be best way. I am not argueing that your way will not work but just trying to explain my thoughts and answer the questions you ask. The biggest thing that I have learnt is every snake is different but they all have the same basic needs and as long as these needs are met your snake will survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back