How young can hatchlings be sold??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildflower

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how old hatchlings are sold. I got mine when he was so tiny and now I can only find 5-6mth old snakes :(

depends on the breeder. Majority won't sell them until they have had quite a few feeds on their own and the breeder is sure they are going to feed for you. The reason you are finding them that old is because they all started hatching around the same time. there is a specific time for breeding snakes. As you will see plenty of people talking about the breeding season coming up

Thak-you. I am new to snakes but really looking forward to getting a second one :). It is making me nervous cause everyone tells me most hatchlings are " nippy" ??

Thak-you. I am new to snakes but really looking forward to getting a second one :). It is making me nervous cause everyone tells me most hatchlings are " nippy" ??
Hatchlings are pretty nippy but it doesn't hurt at all. Feels kind of like a stiff tooth brush hitting you. With regular handling the hatchling will become less nervous over time and less likely to strike.

Often i havent even noticed iv been tagged till after i put the hatchie back and noticed a couple of blood spots lol it really doesnt hurt

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how old hatchlings are sold. I got mine when he was so tiny and now I can only find 5-6mth old snakes :(

Most Breeders will sell after 6 meals, anytime before that is unsafe anyway! Wait until december ish and you will find early hatchies!

I've got some bredli hatchlings which are currently 2 months old and they've had about 8 feeds and 2 sheds. Some are still fussy eaters. The largest ones have just reached 50 grams. I've been tagged by their 2.5m mother, so getting tagged by a hatchie is nothing short of entertaining.

Watching that cute little face have a go at you is hilarious. Most don't even break the skin, and as Viking_Python and Becca-Marie stated, it doesn't even hurt and some of the time you won't even know until the pin pri-ck spots of blood show.

Most of my snakes were around 250g when I purchased them and a minimum 3 months old. I strongly advise people purchase snakes complete with full records, and "keep maintaining" those records during it's life with you. This helps with feeding, sheds and growth, vet visits and sale in the future.

Last edited:
does anyone find bredli hatchys along with albino darwins are not as nippy as other hatchys?

Cheers guys. Yea I have being nipped by a hatchling before, just nervous having one go by freight and getting all upset. I think I will make the trip to the breeder. I was looking at around Christmas time anyway. So perfect for breeding season then :). I have a GTS who is just about ready to go into a larger size enclosure, he has never bit me and hardly ever gets in an s bend.

One of the few good rules in WA is not being able to sell a hatchy under 3 months. I find that is a good minimum age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back