Bluey outside?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahJane

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I just wanted some opinions relating to housing my blue-tongue outside. She is starting to get 'sleepy' as the weather cools, by this time next week I'm sure she'll be out for the count (she does this each year despite temps remaining normal). Ideally I wanted to have her outdoors earlier this year, however it's taken some time to get the pit ready and I now have to decide if perhaps I've left it too late to acclimatise her? Thoughts?

Anyone? If you have strong opinions for or against putting her outside I'd like to hear them. Right now I'm thinking that despite my excitement over the new pit, I might just keep her in until after Winter.

I just wanted some opinions relating to housing my blue-tongue outside. She is starting to get 'sleepy' as the weather cools, by this time next week I'm sure she'll be out for the count (she does this each year despite temps remaining normal). Ideally I wanted to have her outdoors earlier this year, however it's taken some time to get the pit ready and I now have to decide if perhaps I've left it too late to acclimatise her? Thoughts?

Not a problem at all mate... it should be fine outside as long as the pit has a nice dry area for it to sleep the cold months away... The next door neighbour here in Melb has a resident bluey living underneath the barbie in the backyard.

If your worried about the sudden temp change then start cooling it in the enclosure first for a month till you match the outside ambient temps then just put it in the outside pit in a dry shaded area.

On warm sunny winter days where the heat is able to penetrate into the hibernaria of snakes and lizards, they will come out and bask. They will also sometimes drink. As soon as the sunny weather disappears, so do the reptiles. It will do it no harm whatsoever to put it outside now. I assume you have an appropriate spot for it to brumate in the pit. So long as it is lively enough to crawl into it, I don’t see a problem.

To my mind, if the animal wants to brumate, then irrespective of where it is kept, the temperatures should be reduced accordingly. This ensures that the body chemistry (metabolism) slows down and the animal uses minmial stored internal resources to see it through the winter period. In other words, if it goes into brumation in good condition, it will come out of brumation in good condition.

It seems likely that for some animals changing day length is a stronger stimulus than temperature in inducing brumation. Whatever the cause, it is not unusual. Antaresia pythons are well known for going into brumation despite maintaining normal temperatures day and night.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine came out the other day, I keep them in an outdoor pit.
The weather was horrible the day before but they couldn't resist the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back