Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PilbaraPythons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Who here who doesn't live in W.A attended the first W.A Herp expo? Not too many I would think. They tel lme the numbers through the door were close to 10 000 people so quite a success I think.

Attachments

• Perth Expo 1.jpg
    Perth Expo 1.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 400
  • expo BHP Display.jpg
    expo BHP Display.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
I held several snakes for the first time at the expo never really liked the idea of snakes until then of course now I can't wait till I get my first holding one made me want to go buy one right there and then but I still am doing my research on them first so I held off

Well the Newcastle expo had 5000 so 10,000 smashes that. Was there a lot for sale ?

I went :D
was absolutely awesome, great to see a large turnout and see how much the WA reptile trade has or will expand. your stall was awesome dave, wish there wasn't so many people bombing you and i could of said hello.
you probably don't know me but i lived in hedland and was friends with Ryan.

i heard the turnout was something more around 7 000...
i picked up my awesome new 2 year old imbricata on the day. when i get some good photos i will post some on this thread and on the expo pick ups thread on your forum Dave.

next time i hope there is way more for sale(reptiles and supplies)but hey it was everyones first time and we didn't know what to expect.

Even WA have a reptile show! :evil: (No offence WA....I'm just annoyed :p)

Can't wait for more pics bohdi! :D

Turn out was good but 3 or 4 stands selling herps and only one selling carpets was an absolute joke, don't think the people who where in a minimum 1.5 hour wait line when I left would have been to happy.
I bought lovely hatchie off Winny for a good price too but all round the amount of options was just dismal and disappointing expo.

I sold a few hatchies carpets for $350-400. I'm not sure $505 is a bargain for dark carpets? Maybe compared to pet shops it is. The first carpet Hatchie I got 5 years ago was $500 so you'd think the price has come down since then?
I also got a beautiful wheat belt Stimi from a friend there.
I thought the expo was awesome. It wasn't a swap meet or reptile market. It was an expo to promote keeping in WA. Apart from 'mr negative' above, everyone I have spoken too loved it. And that included some random people at work who have no interest in keeping but saw it advertised and went down for a look. I thought it was fantastic and it exceeded all expectations I had. Pilbara pythons had some amazing animals for sale. Including tri coloured pilbara stimi's.
I find sourcing nice reptiles in WA is simple if you take the time to talk to keepers and breeders. I didn't know a single person in WA when I moved here from Vic. So it's obviously not hard to get into the reptile scene in WA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting take on it davobmx, I didn't get to see any stalls myself or even get to see what was happening outside because I was simply stuck behind my stall all friggin day lol. The figure of 10 000 came from the DEC on the day so who really knows ?. The WAHS organisers best hopes were for a max crowd of 3 000 and the unexpected volume completely overwhelmed absolutely everyone including catering etc. Hats off to them however for the excellent job to actually pull this off with no prier experience and no doubt they will only get better. It would have been handy if each dealer had a heads up on what eachother were displaying as to make sure as many different species as possiable were there. For example I would have taken knob-tails if I knew no one had them there etc.

Yeah you were flat out when I was there so didnt interupt. I got there early and had a good look. Took a lot of self control not to buy some of your stock :) I got a few weeks notice at work the other day. So promised the Mrs I wouldn't come home with snakes. (Except one I had arranged with Gary).
Niall pointed out Jordan's wheat belt you had on display with one of your own. Absolutely beautiful animals.

Here are a couple of photos before the public started to flow in.We are still needing to decide whether or not to do another expo next year or every 2 years.time will tell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 280
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 297
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 288
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
I had baby western bluetongues, baby speckled king skinks, striped tail Pygmy monitors and carpets for sale.
There wasn't that many lizards on show on the day.

I sold a few hatchies carpets for $350-400. I'm not sure $505 is a bargain for dark carpets? Maybe compared to pet shops it is. The first carpet Hatchie I got 5 years ago was $500 so you'd think the price has come down since then?
I also got a beautiful wheat belt Stimi from a friend there.
I thought the expo was awesome. It wasn't a swap meet or reptile market. It was an expo to promote keeping in WA. Apart from 'mr negative' above, everyone I have spoken too loved it. And that included some random people at work who have no interest in keeping but saw it advertised and went down for a look. I thought it was fantastic and it exceeded all expectations I had. Pilbara pythons had some amazing animals for sale. Including tri coloured pilbara stimi's.
I find sourcing nice reptiles in WA is simple if you take the time to talk to keepers and breeders. I didn't know a single person in WA when I moved here from Vic. So it's obviously not hard to get into the reptile scene in WA.

Call me Mr. Negative if you like but as a keeper traveling 1.5 hours to buy an animal or two it was a bit if a let down the variety that was for sale.
It was awesome seeing all the adder varieties and holding an Olive for the first time, I can see how killer it would have been for newbies and kids, I just felt that my self and those who where lining up to buy something special may have been let down, needless to say I'm stoked on my purchase and and excited for the hobby to grow and hopefully boom the way it's sighted too.

I think you may have a strange or miss guided view of what the expo was about. It was never advertised as a massive reptile sale. Especially with how few people breed reptiles in WA. I was actually surprised how much was for sale. And I was surprised at some of the stock people like Niall and Dave had for sale. However you'd have to have rocks in your head if you thought there was going to be thousands of animals for sale. As it is we can only sell one clutch per year. So that's less than 30 animals per keeper. Andrew had 40, but he got around that because half were his sons.
Most f the time if you want to buy something special you have to know or deal with the breeder directly. I'm fairly certain I was the the only person to pick up a wild caught wheat belt on the day and it wasn't advertised or on display.
The only carpets I saw that weren't boring, were Niall's. He has some very nice animals. I like bright, well marked carpets. There are a few around now. But most people breed the darker ones like you got at the expo. All of em are nice, but you quickly run out of room and you become a lot more selective in the stock you keep.
i certainly didn't wait more than 10 minutes in line. And if you were chasing something nice, the only chance you have at any expo in Australia is being there when the doors open.

A brighter adult south west carpet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 173
Forgot to mention the process for breeders to show stock for sale there is not simple either. You had to transfer all the animals you wanted to sell onto a dealers license. Then what doesn't sell you have to transfer back. A bit of a pain.... It at least meant that I only brought animals that I already had lined up for transfer. There's enough demand at present for me not to bother trying to sell them all in one hit. I'm sure a lot of hobby breeders thought the same thing.

Congrats on the massive success of the expo. great effort first up. you are lucky you can even buy/sell animals at your expo unlike here in queensland. Hopefully now more reptile owners/breeders will join in and attend as exhibitors, instead if criticizing expos saying that there wasn't enough there. Expos are only as good as the people who make the effort to exhibit at them so well done to everyone who pulled their finger out and made the event possible.good luck for the next one
cheers
simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back