Ceramic heating for my diamond??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_brown

Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
hey guys so im over buying those stupid red "infrared" bulbs that keep blowing every other month and they cost a fair bit to was looking on ebay and came across ceramic heat emitters for $9.00 thats around $50 cheaper than the pet store should i buy them off ebay or the pet store anyone have any experience with any of this some help would do. And did a read up on heat matts but apparently diamonds need basking lamp so would the ceramic duvalaki be suitable??

I've bought ceramics from both pet store and eBay, never had problems with either, the one I bought off eBay was an Aussie seller and cost $19.95 not $9.00 though

You are probably paying about $9 for a red heat light anyway so even if it only lasts for the same time as the light you will not be in a worst situation. Just be aware that you will have to keep an eye on your temperature because you can not tell if a CHE is working by looking at it.

yeah thanks andynic07 yeah i will check that out i have a advance thermostat so if temps get too low it starts beeping. what should i use to look into the enclosure if i need to? a bit lost in terms of what to do with that

I bought a box of 10 off ebay (che)worked out at $9 each thinking i would go through them. Still have same 2 in for over a year.

Heatmats and heatcord work just as well for diamonds as any other heatsource, if not better.

I would use an led type light as they produce light but not much heat. I think a popular choice is led strip lighting from ikea. I have had no experience with these so I cannot comment on them. Maybe pm skeptic about diamonds as he has had over 10 years experience with them.

I use a ceramic for my diamond... have been using the same one for over 3 years and it's still going strong!

Even though infra-red light bulbs may blow more frequently than keepers would like, they're better for Diamonds than some of the other heat sources mentioned like heatmats in my opinion. Of course nothing beats natural unfiltered sunlight (dappled sunlight is just as good) for Diamonds, but their black colouration absorbs UV and infra-red very efficiently. For Diamonds kept indoors, I use UV bulbs for a few hours a day (year round) and infra-red overnight when they're digesting.

I like to watch my snakes move around of a night so infrared is a must.also dont touch the infrared with your hands use a cloth the moisture from your skin will cause bulb to blow quicker i know this cos i work for a lighting company and this is normal practise for us

i have a UV light thats on from 7 am to 5pm and i also had a massive discussion here awhile ago about the red infrared light and came to the conclusion it can effect the snake and also stress them out cause they can see the "red light" and that it can be bad for the snake.... but ive already bought the CHE and ill go get LED strips too from ikea or ill just buy them online

i have a UV light thats on from 7 am to 5pm and i also had a massive discussion here awhile ago about the red infrared light and came to the conclusion it can effect the snake and also stress them out cause they can see the "red light" and that it can be bad for the snake.... but ive already bought the CHE and ill go get LED strips too from ikea or ill just buy them online
10 hours/day is probably unnecessarily long UV duration for Diamonds, especially at this time of year.
How is infrared light bad for them? I've never seen or heard of this before. Can you please provide a link to that discussion, as I'm interested in reading it.

If you can get CHE's for $9 ea go for it, at that price you could buy 5 or 6 of them for the price of a good heat bulb, then even if you get a dud or 2 you are still in front, as far as UV is concerned i have come to the conclusion after reading many many posts here and checking up on the net and books that UV is unnecissary, so what you don't have to fork out on UV setup you could put into a decent LED light set :) ...................................Ron

thanks ron but i read somewhere on here about diamonds and apprently if you have UV they live longer etc ill and try and find the post apparently it has been tested etc

Tested by who? If you can find a proper study on it, let us all know. It's up to you if you want to put in UV but don't believe everything you read. Especially if you read it on here, often it's people just repeating incorrect information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back