Need advice and methods for stopping a snake from biting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

becwatson14

Not so new Member
Reaction score
she is 7 months old, she is a caramal coastal, as soon as you open the click clack or vivarium, whatever she is in, she strikes straight away, you manage to get her out and you move and she strikes and bites, she does it at anything and everything, i need methods on how to stop it while she is still young, she was only ever handled to change newspaper in the click clack and to be fed. i have just got her

Attachments

• DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 162
In my opinion. (Assuming husbandry is top notch) As tough as at it may be, the best way to tame down a young snake is dive in the deep end. Handle for 10 minutes everyday until it becomes noticably more comfortable with the idea of being handled.
Some snakes like to think they're chainsaws... i got bitten on the forehead a couple of weeks ago by an angry adult jungle... but with time and tlc, i think you should be able to calm this one down.
In the long run, it may be a few bites here and there, but dont let that discourage you. Also, if you do take a tag. Do t reward the snake by putting it back into its enclosure, keep handling it. You dont want it to learn that by being aggressive you will put it back in its comfy home.
Tl;dr. Snakes have mouths and will bite. Handle it so it stops associating you as a threat.
Best of luck.

Perseverance. As long as the husbandry is correct and that she is eating okay she should come around. My olive would strike at a dust particle in the air before calming down at about 10 months old. When she strikes try not to flinch, as long as you keep backing away she will keep striking because she knows that it works.

Use a pillowcase to pick her up
Turn pillowcase inside out with her inside
Sit it on your lap
Dont touch her or the bag
just let it understand there is no danger
After a few times she will pop her head out and have a look around
dont touch her
let her explore
you need to build her trust in you

Making a stressed snake more stressed by handling isnt always a good thing. Longqi's advice is a very good place to start

Making a stressed snake more stressed by handling isnt always a good thing.

Quoted for truth.

The vast majority of young pythons will calm down all by themselves with no input from their keepers.Once they get a bit of size about them they stop perceiving everything a threat and settle right down.

1st ditch the gloves.. They'll do more harm than good. If you have only just got her, then leave her alone completely for 2 weeks. Unless it's to clean then don't touch her, she doesn't need to be touched to feed her. She is stressed as she has just moved to a new environment, let her settle in.

my female darwin coastal was the same, she would even bite herself and her own shadow. i would use a snake hook to get her out then pick her up and not allow her to have free reign on my hand, I would keep her body straight by continually running one hand down her body then the other, like massaging her whole body, her head would then hang on to my one finger. that would stop her thinking about biting. If you give them time to settle on your hand they will just continue to bite. she wasn't impressed with it and tried her best to control having free reign on my hand by trying to curl or wrap around my hand, she sometimes would poo and bite me at the same time, she was that insane. in time she has become less fearful and less defensive. Its been a while now since being bitten. shes become chilled.

Last edited:
1.When you say you just got her how long are you talking about?? 2. When you say you get her out of her click clack or Viv which ever one she is in does that mean that you are moving her back and forth?? 3. throw the gloves away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back