Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garthcapper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to buy a Stimson python but I'll have to keep it in the same room as my knobbies will this be a problem? if so can any one provide and an alternative. also as this is my first snake and it's a hatchling I'm planning on keeping it in a 7lt click clack with drilled holes on the side a heat mat connected to a thermostat set at 28-35 degrees covering just under half the tub feeding every 5-7 days on pinky mice for the first 8 months with two hides and a water bowl until upgraded to a bigger enclosure I'd appreciate any info that iv missed please help no hate just want to provide best care for it

The best thing that I could advise (because you have the basic facts down pat) is to not be too rigid and change things as your snake needs them instead of having set periods. You sound like you have done a bit of research and can bring some of your lizard knowledge across so don't worry , you will be fine.

Yes u can keep the 2 in the same room, no harm in that, as long as their not in the same enclosure they'll be fine. As for feeding pinky mice for 8 months, not a real good idea, u would need to upside as the snake grows, at 8 months old id probably be feeding it large fuzzy mice or weaner mice depending on size of the snake. But as for everything else ur pretty much set. :)

Last edited:
yeah made sure I did research because I didnt with my geckos and spent way to much and wasted money and time that wasnt neccessary so I made sure I did the research on this one but there's only so much you can learn from online and books but from hands on experience and this is only reason I held back on getting a snake but I'm just going to do it because I really want one, but what I want to know will it be okay keeping the hatchling in the same room as my knobbies

Yes u can keep the 2 in the same room, no harm in that. As for feeding pinky mice for 8 months, not a real good idea, u would need to upside as the snake grows, at 8 months old id probably be feeding it large fuzzy mice or weaner mice depending on size of the snake. But as for everything else ur pretty much set. :)

no sorry I meant as for the enclosure for the first 8 months but none the less how long before I should change to something bigger than pinky mice, also do I not need any basking light until its about a year old and moved into my bigger enclosure

no sorry I meant as for the enclosure for the first 8 months but none the less how long before I should change to something bigger than pinky mice, also do I not need any basking light until its about a year old and moved into my bigger enclosure
Go for the hatchy mate. As for feeding, what I have found is keep good records of feeding , shedding and weight. I would weight your snake every month or two for the first year and feed it roughly 15-20% of its body weight every 7 days give or take. I would move it into the bigger enclosure either about 1 year old or just after its second winter. Like you have said though you will do your most learning with hands on and you will probably find you need a little more specific help once you are keeping your snake and people on here will be more than happy to help.

Same as above, follow that rule of thumb and u'll be fine. I gave my spotted python (not much size difference) her first fuzzy when she was around 4-5 months old. A heat mat should be the only heating source u'll need for a stimmy since they are more a ground dwelling snake. And as for lighting, id just use natural sunlight through the window (cheaper on the electricity bill). JMO

yeah iv found that you can research as much as you want but when it comes to the specific questions everyone is more than helpful on here, also the person iv bought it off is stated as excellent feeder and he'd three times already all records provided also is there any difference between keeping in winter than summer?

yeah iv found that you can research as much as you want but when it comes to the specific questions everyone is more than helpful on here, also the person iv bought it off is stated as excellent feeder and he'd three times already all records provided also is there any difference between keeping in winter than summer?
Not for the first year if you keep the temperatures up but after that do some research on brumation and decide whether or not it is best for you. I personally try to brumate my snakes every winter after they are one but there are others that do not brumate.

so brumation is just personal experience? or is it neccessary I doubt I will breed two snakes as it'd be too much because its not my house and I can't just have all the space to keep them and look after so it will just be me my knobbies and one snake a
as what iv read from brumation is only for breeding

so brumation is just personal experience? or is it neccessary I doubt I will breed two snakes as it'd be too much because its not my house and I can't just have all the space to keep them and look after so it will just be me my knobbies and one snake a
as what iv read from brumation is only for breeding

Brumation can sometimes just occur in reptiles due to time of year even with temps kept high. Just think of it as a period that you dont have to feed, makes your wallet a little bigger :)

Rick

so when it is a wise choice to Brumate every year just for safe keeping or when ever the snake stops eating as much

also Iv seen handling twice a week is more than suffice is this true as I'd like to handle my snake as much as possible so it's friendly as possible according with shedding and feeding times because I know you can't handle between these times as they come quite nippy but I want to keep a friendly as possible python

also Iv seen handling twice a week is more than suffice is this true as I'd like to handle my snake as much as possible so it's friendly as possible according with shedding and feeding times because I know you can't handle between these times as they come quite nippy but I want to keep a friendly as possible python

When u do get the stimsons python u'll wanna let it settle in for at least a week before even attempting handling it otherwise it will take longer to calm down. U can decide when u want to feed it ( I fed my spotted 4 days after I got it) but most people wait one week. After it settles try to handle it once a day for 5 or so minutes and eventually u'll be able to handle for longer, I usually have my python out on the bed or about an hour or so before I put her back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back