Leatherback turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swampie

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Went out fishing today in Moreton Bay and came across this old dinosaur. I didn't know what it was at first as it was so big, thought it was a juvie whale that had lost it's way then after seeing it take a breath a few times I could see it was a leatherback. From info I have found the largest one ever recorded was 3 metres total length, this guy was easy that and probably a bit more. I see allot of dugong's while out on the water and they are around 2.5-3 metres in length and quite beefy and this thing made a dugong look tiny.

Didn't end up doing any fishing I just followed this guy around with my electric motor for 3 or more hours watching him/her suck down jelly fish by the dozen, it was truly a magnificent animal.

Cheers,

Al

Attachments

• P1000477.JPG
    P1000477.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 321
  • P1000478.JPG
    P1000478.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 316
  • P1000491.JPG
    P1000491.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 281
  • P1000493.JPG
    P1000493.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 257
  • P1000470.JPG
    P1000470.JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 336
That is awesome, great pics, would love to see that. Where about in Moreton Bay ?

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

That would have been awesome to see Alan , right place at the right time mate. I still get blown away every time a dolphin pops up next to me while out surfing.
Andy

Yeah it was amazing Andy, I have seen them out there before but they were normal size, this thing was just massive.

I like watching the sea life in the straight between Stradbroke and Moreton, I can watch for hours.

Make sure you send these images to Queensland museum and parks and wildlife. These are quite uncommon sadly and this data is important! Very jealous I would love to have seen a Luth!

cheers
Scott

Scott, do you have the contact details ?? I was thinking of contacting someone about it due to it's size and rarity. I would expect it to be hanging around for a little while as it's food source is plentiful at the moment.

Amazing pictures mate, I see what you mean about the jelly fish being by the dozen, there are heaps in some of those photos!!

hope you get to see it again when you're out next.

This has to be an early contender for post of the year. Just magnificent.

Hope he didn't suck down too many plastic bags.

I wonder how old that animal is. What a find!

I do shoot me an email ([email protected]) and I will send you the direct email addresses/contacts if you like..... Again very jealous and great find!

While I was out there I had a mate fishing a couple of K's away and I gave him a call and said "mate you have to come and see this huge leather back", he replied to me in a tone that suggested he thought I was exagerating, anyway after I insisted he come over and see it he reluctantly left his fishing spot and made his way over, he got to within a hundred metres or so and the beast surfaced next to my boat and all I hear was ~"holy cow, you weren't kidding"

My friend took some pics and emailed them to me and you can sort of guage it's size a bit better against my boat (tinny in top of pic) which is 4.5 metres long.

Cheers,
Al

Attachments

• DSCN0388.jpg
    DSCN0388.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN0400.jpg
    DSCN0400.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCN0401.jpg
    DSCN0401.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN0387.jpg
    DSCN0387.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCN0385.jpg
    DSCN0385.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 135
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a surviver, very very unusual to see a leathery of that size in close like that, unfortunately these guys are a favorite food for Tiger Sharks, usually when you do see a decent size 1 it has all the trademark damage on it's shell and flippers from close encounters with Tigers. Fabulous pics BTW, what a lovely old soldier :) ....................Ron

Lucky you! They came back to Cobourg Peninsular a few years ago after an absence of several decades. The countryman who spotted the first one reported it as " a turtle same like a Toyota!"

What an incredible find! Would be a real dream come true to see such a rare, beautiful animal so close!
Very lucky and great that you or Scott are reporting the find!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back