New addition

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bohdi13

Reaction score
hey guys and girls, as some of you may know there was the first ever West Australian reptile expo in Perth on the 19th of may. was an amazing day but something that really brightened it up was getting my new south west carpet python (Morelia spilota imbricata). she is a wild caught supposed 1-2 year old that is flighty and bitey when she gets in the mood. hope you all enjoy my imbricate... me with the her for the first handle, her enclosure is in the background... this was her first feed with me which she smashed down!

i didnt know u could get wild cought ones but im in sydney so it might be different wher u are
Yeah if you check out the Pilbra Pythons site and look through there stock there a quite a number of wild caught snakes for sale.

Yea most of their stock looks wild caught. Must be easier to just snatch out of the wild and flick em off rather then breed their own stock and save wild numbers.

Wild caught is an important part of establishing a large enough base of diverse genetics for captive breeding. Eventually wild collecting will cease. DEC monitor the numbers and exact GPS locations of where animals are collected. I breed SWCP, and it is certainly easier than collecting wild caught. The hours spent looking, the fuel money and the fees associated with it means that takers would never recoup what it costs to take from the wild.
Jonah feel free to post up pictures of the hundreds of pythons you have found around Perth :) There is certainly nothing easy about snatching from the wild. Plus the only place they can be collected is private property. Illegal wild taking is a risky business, especially when some research groups put tracking devices into pythons for study.
We can't import pythons into WA so the wild taking is essential. Jonah where do you think your snakes came from? Everyone's snakes came from the wild at some stage so it's very hypercritical to speak against wild taking when the only reason we have pet pythons in WA is due to the wild taking.

Beautiful specimen Bohdi. No doubt one of Niall's wild collected specimens. I've seen a lot of his stock and they are first rate. Very different colour to the usual swcp in the hobby too.

Beautiful specimen Bohdi. No doubt one of Niall's wild collected specimens. I've seen a lot of his stock and they are first rate. Very different colour to the usual swcp in the hobby too.
sure is mate... was planning on getting a imbircata a few months back and Niall sent me a few photos and I just fell for them instantly. photos just don't bring justice in how yellow she is.

Yea most of their stock looks wild caught. Must be easier to just snatch out of the wild and flick em off rather then breed their own stock and save wild numbers.
happens all the time, out of the species we are aloud to keep im pretty sure none of them are under threat in wild numbers. it isn't very common for people with a takers license to take large amounts of wild reptiles especially mature breeders unless they need some breeders. everything has to start somewhere, when the hobby gets bigger we will not need to take wild reptiles.

He's absolutely gorgeous Bohdi! :D Congrats ^.^

And well done on the enclosure! Looks awesome as 8)

The hobby in WA has been around for ten years now, there should be almost nil need to take wild caught stimsons when so many are being captive bred.
happens all the time, out of the species we are aloud to keep im pretty sure none of them are under threat in wild numbers. it isn't very common for people with a takers license to take large amounts of wild reptiles especially mature breeders unless they need some breeders. everything has to start somewhere, when the hobby gets bigger we will not need to take wild reptiles.

The hobby in WA has been around for ten years now, there should be almost nil need to take wild caught stimsons when so many are being captive bred.

Sure there is a high abundance of stimsoni in captivity which I assume we all understand, what you need to understand is that nicer localities that are being found and there is a high abundance of wild stimsoni.

Needless to say, there are a lot worse things that are happening and something like taking a small amount of stimsoni each year like Dave does is minor. Either way what can you do about it? He is one of the most knowledgable reptile enthusiasts in Australia, The bloke can tell the sex of a python from a few meters away. I look up to Dave and Niall a lot more then most would think because they know exactly what they are doing and understand what is enough.

West Australian reptile breeders/collectors are only trying to make the hobby better. Who the hell else is going to collect all the new species being put onto the keepers list?

Bohdi.

Your right Jonah you would think that after 10 years there would be no need to further collect extremely abundant species like Stimsons but guess what, demand strictly dictates supply and after 10 years the demand is still there, so why?
Just so you are more informed, I supply both captive bred Stimsons and wild caught to all sectors of our reptile keeping community but due to the fact that there is a mandatory 3 months holding period for captive bred compared to 21 days for wild collected, it becomes an obvious business decision to favour the option that is more financially viable for me. Quite simple really.

Tell the sex of a python from a few metres away hahahaha that's a good one......
what am I ganna do about it???? I don't recall writing I was going to do anything did I.
I was only stating the obvious that taking wild animals is less of a need 10 years down the track and that if we can keep wild numbers high it would be of great benefit to our enviroment especiially as the cane toad is making its way down the state but some people still see easy $$$ and money is more important to them. If wild numbers of stimson are high then keep it that way!!
not naming specific people so please don't think I'm attacking the people you "look up to"

Jonah, many can tell the sex of SOME snakes from distance SOMETIMES. It depends what you are able to see or not. A hemipenal bulge at the right time of year in adult Aspidites is often so very obvious. If you were up here I would prove it to you so very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back