Hi from WA

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackw00d

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Both my partner and myself are huge snake fans and have for the last 5+ years we have been saying we want a snake one day.
Well after a bit of research my partner and I are looking at getting our first pet snake this year. But we are a bit unsure on a few things so I thought I'd ask here.

We are looking at a Stimson python at this stage as we have heard they are one of the smaller pythons and have a good attitude for beginners. We also know a few reputable and legal places in our region that sells them. From what I have found they are also available in a Cat 3 license.

We are now onto looking at organizing habitat. We were origionally under the impression we need a full glass terrarium, but some Googling and browsing on here I have noticed so people use adapted tubs.
My biggest concern is we are in a cool region of WA and we would hate for it to get to cold due to me being a cheap skate. We will of course have a heat pad for it, do people think a tub would be ok?

Maybe I AM being a cheep skate but the price difference between a tub and glass is big enough that if I can save i'd love to :p

We have already got a few options to source food, substrate and all the other smaller supplies. We also have the Application for a cat 3 license almost ready to go once we know we have everything sorted.

I hope we are on the right track and would love some feed back before we make the big leap.
If we have got that wrong at all let us know :) this is not something we want to rush into.

Welcome!

Most people on here keep their baby stimmies in click-clacks (converted tubs, usually 10L) ontop of a heatmat. Being in a cold region I would recommend a 15watt :)

If you are in a cold region, I wouldn't recommend a full glass terrarium. It is TERRIBLE at holding in heat. You would be much better with a wood/melamine enclosure with a glass front :)
I would kep adults in a glass front enclosure either made of melamine, ply or other wood (not pine/cedar as it is toxic to reptiles). I would keep an adult in a 4x2x2ft (LxWxH). Sliding glass dors with a lock or a drop down style soor at the front :)

Up to you really :) Enjoy the site!

As said above..
Tubs for baby pythons and melamine glass front for adults. All glass are terrible in cold climate areas as they don't hold heat.

Thanks. I am extra glad we decided to ask before we did anything :)

Thanks. I am extra glad we decided to ask before we did anything :)
that's the way, I am currently writing up a massive care sheet for a parents friend who is getting a stimsons... if I finish it before someone has already informed you of the care of a stimsons python I will PM you it.

that's the way, I am currently writing up a massive care sheet for a parents friend who is getting a stimsons... if I finish it before someone has already informed you of the care of a stimsons python I will PM you it.

Hi thanks bohide that would be great! We are looking at making a DIY enclosure at this stage for an adult and a click-clack for when it is a hatchy. We will try to post on here when we get the project started :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back