Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking about the one on the hat.
looks like a crappy Perth local and I wouldn't call it patternless.

I was talking about the one on the hat.
looks like a crappy Perth local and I wouldn't call it patternless.
Next someone will call a hills carpet black and white and charge twice as much :p
Winny had nicer hatchy carpets than the one in the pic too. The one Niall got its very nice.

The testosterone in this thread is palpable! 0_0

The expo was awesome and by far, on many levels, exceeded my expectations. It was great to see so many people there and I chatted to a fair few people whilst standing in line to hold the olive python that wanted to get into reptiles but hadn't yet got a licence and were there to have a hold and get some information on keeping which is awesome. It also raised awareness of the different species out there and a credit to all the store holders who patiently and repeatedly answered questions from passers-by. I picked up a sexy little swcp too, and also managed to meet a breeder that lined up some beautiful woma hatchies for me - it was a great chance to meet some of the hobbyists out there and share contacts and swap stories. I really enjoyed looking at Niall's animals but I didn't realise they were for sale? I'm obviously retarded... maybe I missed a sign or something due to all the people! I waited about 10 minutes to see the skinks haha.

Some of Winny's hatchies had that awesome reddish brown eye stripe- very nice..but I didn't see any at the expo- all snapped up beforehand probably :)

I think all in all, the expo did everything it was supposed to and it was awesome that there were reptiles there the public could buy - I hope the headaches DEC had afterwards weren't enough to deter them from letting us do it again next year and I thought all of the licensing changes they offered (display, dealers' licences and cheap transfers) were very generous.

Your not retarded, I just didn't advertise that the animals where for sale.
Sold everything I wanted sold, ill have a lot more for sale when there is another expo and will make sure I have signs saying what's for sale haha.

Sounds like it was a success. Snowman that SWCP is stunning. I wish we had some in the eastern states. Hmmm... maybe I should look at importing some next year.

@ Trimeresurus maybe you could find someone to split the freight and DEC fee and get a pair each. lol. :)

image.jpg
Hard to believe this little fella has to be under lock and key as a Cat 5 reptile.

Very nice little fellow mate, is it yours?
Yep. A wild caught hatchy from the Kimberly. Because they are on the highest license ($350 per year) no one breeds them as there isn't much market for them over here.

Yep. A wild caught hatchy from the Kimberly. Because they are on the highest license ($350 per year) no one breeds them as there isn't much market for them over here.
Wow that is amazing, they are a lovely snake and I would have one if I had a bit more room or maybe more to the point if my wife was a bit more intune with larger pythons. She has just recently freaked at how big my BHP hatchlings will grow.

....3 or 4 stands selling herps and only one selling carpets was an absolute joke...
It is appropriate address your comment, if a little late, as you were evidently misinformed and that needs correcting and others may gain an incorrect perception about the expo’s purpose and the organisational effort....

I drafted the mock-ups of the written advertising for the expo and while I stated there would be “Live frogs & reptiles on display” I was very careful NOT to include the word SALE. The reason was that DEC was saying no sales at all - Dealers were not permitted to sell because they were not at their licensed premises; Keepers are not permitted to display their animals in public and can only sell via a licensed dealer. It was only through the on-going efforts of others in working on DEC that any sales were permitted at all. It was a see-sawing battle and keeper sales were not given the final green light until the eleventh hour.

Keepers were given permission to display animals in a competition on the day. Apart from a cost involved and other conditions to be met, all their animals had to be transferred to a one-day licence held by a nominated WAHS representative, and then transferred back at the end of the day. No-one took up the offer. Also, an invitation to exhibit at the expo was sent out to all dealers, and to all pet outlets that deal with reptile or amphibian products, which collectively added up to quite a few. I suspect a combination of the expo being an unknown quantity and the restrictive system we have in WA put a lot off.

The purpose of the expo was to promote our hobby, the businesses involved in it and the society representing it. It was purposefully designed to be a cheap and enjoyable family day out rather than only catering for those already addicted. I believe that the organisers well and truly achieved their aims and should be congratulated on their planning, which managed to successfully cater for a broad-based crowd that was much bigger than expected.

If you want to vent and make it count, write to DEC and express your opinion. I would also suggest writing to those retailers who did not attend but I reckon word of mouth will be effective enough there.

Blue

was a good day out and the kids activities were a brilliant idea! a bigger venue next year would be awesome :)

There is no denying the fact that we were caught out by the numbers that attended. As I said on the day, this was three times what we hoped for and that that was double what we really expected. While it made things difficult for us and the waiting may have affected some of the patrons, it was still well catered for and the feedback to date is that the vast majority did not mind the wait at various activities or suppliers as all represented excellent value for money. Clearly this is something that will be addressed in the planning of any future expos. It is still uplifting that people can find only good to report despite the obvious delays in a number of areas. They are providing an overall assessment that is positive. This is very much what the organisers worked hard to achieve.

Blue

I traveled down from Geraldton to visit Expo , glad I got there early as line waiting to enter right up the road when I left....
It was awesome.....hope its on again next year at maybe a larger venue, and hope prices fall as well.
We are paying far too much in the west.
Lets hope additional species are also added to keepers list , such as the rough scale python....they can keep them in the east , but they come from WA ???

I think the WAHS committee did an awesome job which is the more exceptional due to the fact that this was the first effort. That said there is definitely room for improvement - I did feel for the people waiting in the line for ages, both to get in and at the sausage sizzle. We had to send someone to woollies 3 times to get more sausages and rolls due to selling out and by 3PM we were stuffed and decided that was it, the other volunteers were just as rushed. We were completely overwhelmed by the number of people but I'm sure all these things including animals for sale will only get better at the expo as it matures. I for one want congratulate the committee for the awesome effort and hope they want to put it on every year.

I agree western python I got there early to and spent half a day there and when I left the line was enormous. And dave from pilbara pythons it was geat to see your 'bumblebee' bhp. great day all up

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

All things taken into consideration, I think you would have to say that for a first up effort it was tremendously successful for it catered well for the full range of patrons. Those areas where the staffing struggled to cope, due to the unexpectedly high numbers attending, were the entry, the provision of food and the number of exhibitors. Despite these problems, most everyone who attended went home well satisfied, having thoroughly enjoyed the overall experience, which represented great value for money.

Those areas in which there was a shortfall will be earmarked for attention, and appropriate steps will be taken to ensure that they are addressed prior to the next expo. What will definitely work in the organising committee’s favour for the future is the now established popularity of such an event. Clearly, this will entice more dealers, retailers, Reg 16’s and keepers to take part, so there is more available to look at. With more to offer the general public, I believe WAHS can expect a repeat of the numbers and they will probably look at holding it at premises that are better suited to cope, so that the length of any of the waiting lines are considerably reduced.

I believe it important to realise that this event was put together by a select few, coordinated by a single individual who put in a huge effort and who's immense effort well and truly deserves recognition for what she achieved. It cannot be expected that future expos be organised in the same way. I personally feel that unless there are a lot more people willing to put up their hands and actually do something, you cannot expect this to be a yearly event. Perhaps every two years is a more realistically achievable timeframe at the moment. However, this is not my decision to make – it rests with the WAHS committee.

When all is said and done, taking into account the good and the bad, it was a brilliant first effort for an expo. I have huge respect for all those who constructively contributed and were involved!

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the notable things to mention were the crowds - I thought they were exceptional particularly given the long waiting times getting in to the expo and waiting for food. Out of the hundreds of people we served only one lady got a little terse at having to wait so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back