my latest keelback vivarium

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an updated image of the vivarium. The keelbacks are very happy but usually hide so it is always a treat to see them when they are out.20130603_174758.jpg

Last edited:
The plants were easy to get. Orchids, bromiliads, hoyas, palour palms and air plants. They all flourish in this environment. There are approximately $150worth of plants in there.

Very cool, something like that do you need to change the soil/bedding every few months?. Is keeping it clean an easy enough task?

so far it is working in a full biodegradable scenario. The keelbacks feed only on fish and their waste is more liquid than solid. That keeps the soil fertile as it breaks down. The soil is constantly moist as the water is heated and evaporates into the soil. The plants get all the nutrients they need from the soil and water. The fish in the water are healthy and have a large external canister filter cleaning the water which gets cleaned ever few weeks. There is no smell and all fish, plants and snakes are very healthy. I wouldn't recommend this set up for any other species other than keelbacks, water skinks and frogs. If you could get a more vertical setup it would be great for GTS and GTP as well. The keelbacks in this enclosure hide in the mid level area where there are dry nooks and crannies.

It is very much an experiment on micro environments. There were times early on where mould was growing in the soil and the are was removed and the problem has not reappeared. I installed a large layer of clayballs under the soil to raise it even further from the original set up which has assisted in keeping certain areas dryer than others. Overall it is a tropical environment with the only heat source coming from a 300W heater in the water. It is also sitting on top of my Monitor enclosure which has a 160W ProHerp Reptile Radiator which allows some heat to transfer to the tank above during daylight hours when the panel is on.

Very nice setup you have there mate. They are a nice looking snake too , I think I had one in my back yard today about 30-40 cm. I didn't get a chance to get a good photo of it for positive id though.

Im hoping to get a few more next year.
Ill have to catch up with you soon Baz.

I'm interested in the egg crate you used and where you sourced it from. It seems readily available overseas but I couldn't seem to find something cheap and similar here.

Cheers

I'm interested in the egg crate you used and where you sourced it from. It seems readily available overseas but I couldn't seem to find something cheap and similar here.

Cheers

I cut up plastic milk crates for my false bottom vivarium, aluminium flywire over the top of that.

Rick

I had a lot of trouble finding it as well.
This is my supplier.
MULFORD PLASTICS303 FRANKSTON- DANDENONG ROADDANDENONG SOUTH

Im in the process of building another one. Will post pics of construction this time.

Cheers

google eggcrate diffuser, I was looking for it recently and found a few suppliers in sydney online, not cheap though.
I used bread crate instead

Some updated pics of the inhabitants.
20130704_171329_zps8b53c126.jpg

20130629_095638_zps9349208a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome pics! Love the one of the little fella shedding in the water, super cool! :D

Beautiful setup, hopefully it continues to thrive for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back