Common Tree Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
green1.jpg speaking of cts here is a fella i use to own, he was cool only puffed his neck when he was angry never struck

I think you misunderstood ;)
I'm also a GTS keeper/breeder :)
I was asking the guy above if he knew as he made the claim they were good first snakes.

Oh how embarrassing!!!! Hahaha my bad! Out of curiosity.. Have u had similar experiences to what I posted?

Oh n just adding to the first snake debate.. I keep pythons and colubrids..

One way to describe it...
Keeping colubrids is like having Sofia vergara as a girlfriend. You want her more than anything and she's amazing to look at.. but alot of maintainer and effort needs to be put in to keep her..

I pulled a beautiful little CTS out of a printer at a doctors surgery the other week. They called me and said there was a brown snake in there :) They had the whole place on lockdown :)

Tesla,

my book covers all of thoses things including food refusal and trick feeding

I have found gts to be far easier to wean onto an alternative diet than many other species. Once they are feeding from food items held with tongs they will take almost anything offered IME.

Mine are fed predominantly quail but will take rodents and strips of whatever meat I happen to be doing for dinner that night. They have eaten beef, chicken, lamb, pork, kangaroo, rabbit and fish. The only thing they refused to eat was crocodile.

I have never used fish to get hatchlings feeding but have used legs and wings from day old quail with great results. The rest of the quail I feed to the adults.

Living in Brisbane I have the advantage of being able to source Asian house geckos for fussy hatchlings to start on.

So how can someone "provide all it needs" without first having experience? I am not aware of any in depth guides which cover the topics of force feeding or switching to rodents and THE only article I have ever seen on removing skinworms from snakes was written by me!

Please explain how a first time keeper would "Provide all it's husbandry needs". And if you wouldn't mind please enlighten us on:
1)the best way to wean them on to a rodent only diet?
2)what one rule of feeding fish to GTS?
3)what size rodents do we cut parts from to feed hatchlings that don't want to eat, and what parts do we use and why?
4)do they spend most of their time arboreally?
5)Are they a burrowing species?

Tesla, I consider myself an experienced CTS keeper, though still far from an expert. I'm always looking to learn, and I think it would be beneficial for all CTS keepers out there if you could please answer your own questions ...

Also, I do my own skin worm removal - successfully, I think - but if you could direct me to a copy of your article, I'd be most appreciative.

Is there a reason why they have to be weaned onto a rodent only diet? Mine do get rodents, but only rarely when something else refuses a feed and they still look hungry.

Predominantly quail is my preferred diet for them and they seem to take to them quicker than rodents IME and yes they breed on this diet. Cheaper too.

Ive never had to remove skin worms but that may have to do with the fact that all have been captive bred and their diet (aside from the ones that have eaten ahg's) is cultured prey species/bits.
Why are they getting skin worms? Or is this only for wild caught specimens?

I have however helped a friend remove some from his and the process seemed pretty straightforward. Would love to see a copy of the article too to see if there was any difference to what we did.

I hope this isnt too dumb of a question, but do you just feed them fish from a pet store? Is that safe? Can only imagine the diseases that would thrive in a pet store aquarium

Happy, I use to feed mine plain old feeder goldfish. You just have to make sure that they arent treated with any chemicals. Hold them at home in a tank for a week or so prior to feeding. When fish are deliverred to petshops they can be treated with a chemical that destresses the fish and elimiates possible infections caused by such. These chemicals can kill CTS. As long as you purge them so to speak for a while prior to feeding, yer not problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back