Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdawgg910

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, being in Darwin I have a great opportunity to see some rare or not very commonly kept captive reptiles.

Fortunately I have been given the opportunity to purchase a "rare" or not so common albino Olive python hatchling this coming breeding season.

My question is is the asking price of $5,000 or around there worth it? I know you can get Albino Darwin for $500, but are they really worth $5,000?

Albino Olives are much rarer than Darwins, hence the price tag. Keep in mind though, Olives are notoriously difficult to breed so you may not be making millions any time soon. If you like it though, and you're happy to pay that much then it's worth it.

sounds about right. there price will stay higher for longer as they dont breed anywhere as easily or in the numbers of morelia. therefore wont flood the market as easily.

Do 100% het pairs breed easier and more successfully than the albino olives, or would an albino/het coupling be more successful... I don't own any, nor am I looking to anytime soon, just trying to understand breeding and the difficulties that breeders face when taking on these projects...

$5k seems a bit high for a hatchling. I've seen hatchies going for $3.5k 18 months ago. I'd say an adult would be worth $5k though.

Albino het pairing is the best bet as more albino ratio to clutch ( than 100% pairing ) and I have heard albino to albino pair clutches can be weaker.

Are the albinos more sluggish maters or do they produce less viable sperm??? (Generally speaking)

I have just heard that the clutch hatch rates are lower albino to albino is all.

I've heard fertility can be an issue as well with albino to albino. I don't think there has been enough consistent breeding to say too much about them. You may have seen them cheaper in the past but you don't see many for sale so 5k probably isn't unreasonable. I'd like to know how many were bred this season as I only heard of a very small number.

The animal is worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay!
If no one is buying price will drop. If there is limited supply and lots of potential buyers the price stays high.

If I was chasing one I'd pay 5k for one. Where do you ever see them advertised? I don't think they are bred in any numbers.

Hey guys, being in Darwin I have a great opportunity to see some rare or not very commonly kept captive reptiles.

Fortunately I have been given the opportunity to purchase a "rare" or not so common albino Olive python hatchling this coming breeding season.

My question is is the asking price of $5,000 or around there worth it? I know you can get Albino Darwin for $500, but are they really worth $5,000?
A snake is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it , whether it be you or someone else.

If I was chasing one I'd pay 5k for one. Where do you ever see them advertised? I don't think they are bred in any numbers.

Privately by word of mouth, from one breeder to another. Another member who a majority of herpers will know has them up here in Darwin too. If you wish to know who, PM me.

There's also another person who I have dealt with in person who is on here who says his mate breeds them and sells them for $800- $1,000 per hatchling pending on clutches per season.

Think your name was Paul, if it was you could you please PM me.:)

I currently have a normal non-HET for Albino male Olive, so getting a female albino sounds like a much better idea than having the male that is albino from what I have heard about sperm.

For the last 3 years the waiting lists have exceeded the numbers bred so they are sold as soon as they hatch. 5K is about average. We charge 6K for males and 5K for females or 10K a pair. There are a few hets about but it amazes me how many people have hets for sale although they dont own any albinos. I guess all Olives look much the same so once some sellers get a picture of an albino mating then they are well on the way to selling hets. Most dont breed until 4-5 years so it takes a while for a het to be proven.

Privately by word of mouth, from one breeder to another. Another member who a majority of herpers will know has them up here in Darwin too. If you wish to know who, PM me.

There's also another person who I have dealt with in person who is on here who says his mate breeds them and sells them for $800- $1,000 per hatchling pending on clutches per season.

Think your name was Paul, if it was you could you please PM me.:)

This is absolute nonsense.........

800-1000. Put my name on any he is willing to sell at that price.
Funny thing is I don't think I will need to go to the bank any time soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back