A few Forrest dragon questions.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silhou

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello hello, I'm hoping to get a Southern Forrest dragon within the next few months, I've done as much research as I can lay my hands on and I've set up a suitable enclosure complete with waterfall, mister ect. However there are a few questions I could not find the answer too.. I've found very little information on their diet, I know they eat mealworms, crickets, earthworms, the occasional piece of banana ect, but I've found nothing to indicate what to feed it, how much, and how often.
Would you please share your Forrest dragon feeding plan with me so that I can have a more structured idea of what to compose his diet of? :) Thankyou very much.
Hayley.

Feed them mainly on crickets and woodies. Occasionally feed adults mealworms. Best to feed them a few crickets every second day, as much as they will eat. You can let a few run around the cage for them to catch. They do not eat as much as other dragons because they are kept in cooler conditions and have a slower metabolism. How much to feed and how much they will eat will largely depend on the temps and the age of the dragons.

Wonderful, thank you so much. What do you suggest I keep the ambient temp. at? I've heard that they need no heating but I was planning to maybe heat a small corner of the tank just to keep him out and about in winter. Good idea, or not?
And do you suggest I throw in a few peices of fruit/veges every now and then into their diet? Or keep it mainly insects?

For your temps you don't want them ever over 28 C. A temperature gradient of about 15-26 for summer and about 5-16 in winter if you are cooling them is appropriate. As for the heated part in the corner, it would depend on the age of the reptile and if you are planning to breed it or not. If it is young, then this should be ok ensuring that your temps are still in the preferred range. For fruit/vegies, you can add some bok choy and banana occasionally but keep their main diet on insects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back