not caring

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this frustrates me so much!
Your mates reptiles need heat, a clean enclosure and proper food. These are necessary rules that we accept when we decide to purchase and look after an animal. His animals might be alive now but I guarantee that they will get sick and probably die if the husbandry does not improve, then your mates will have vet bills to deal with.
I know they are your mates but a good person would not house animals like this. Your mates need to be dobbed in.

keep in mind that the guy with the bredli had a bredli before he got the one he has now but it died so yeah he got a new one.. he didnt even care when the little tacker died):

You're right, beardies do need UVA and UVB. However, I don't know their requirements, though people seem to go with the UV 10.0 globes.

People like this need a wake up call, doing this to any animal is downright cruel. It's a pity it seems so widespread too, I'm sure your friends aren't the only ones who do it. Good luck on trying to educate them on proper care, if nothing changes and you want to report it, the South Australian RSPCA website has information on how to report animal cruelty. I don't know who else you could report to, other than perhaps the SA Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (SA reptile permit/licensing mob, I think?), if they they could direct you to the right place.

Edit: Thank you btsmorphs, I've corrected my post to reflect your information. While not it might not be completely necessary I use an 18inch UV 5.0 globe in my blueys enclosure.

i'll have a look at the rspca website now, thanks vengeance

Let us know how it goes, im sure a fair few people would be happy to hear the outcome after you report

Let us know how it goes, im sure a fair few people would be happy to hear the outcome after you report
I don't think reporting really does a thing. I have reported stuff before and nothing has happened. There has been video evidence of people killing snakes and nothing has happened. I really don't think the authorities have the teeth needed to bite with any effect.

Its always worth a try, I know of people who also have a adult bluey and dont have the right housing requirements and only feed it raw minc once a week, also have no heating and no license, this was almost a year and a half ago since then I have moved and had no clue about reptiles back then. I would report them now if I knew if the poor reptile is still alive but I know longer have any contact with them people.

Last edited:
Get better friends, these ones sound like A holes.

I reported an ex who has a corn snake.
he still has that corn snake. :/

This sort of neglect for animals is what puts me off breeding them ever again. I cringe at the though of how some of my hatchies might be treated.

As for the authoritive departments, they don't give a damn either. I had a dispute with Gumtree not allowing me to sell a snake there. They quoted it was in breach of selling reptiles in NSW, yet allowing them for sale on a non-reptile related website (which they are) was also in breach of the law and they still allow 6+ more pages of reptiles to remain on sale.

I reported them to the wildlife licensing department, but didn't even get a return email. As if they care about it. As if they even care about the size enclosure they're living in.

The care of the animal(s) is of utmost importance.

Advise him to change his ways, surrender the animals or let him know you will take it legal. Good luck though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do think that even though there is not much likelyhood that the department will do anything we still need to report to them these things and let it be their decision to do nothing and not ours.

FYI, in QLD you definitely shouldn't be emailing the wildlife department. I know calling them is a pain (government calling systems like to make you jump through hoops), but seriously, pick up the phone and make a phonecall.

When I was trying to get an export license from QLD (which they care about more, because they get money for that), it took phone calls hassling them every day for a week to get them to finally do the damn thing. And that was after calling periodically every couple of weeks after numerous unanswered emails.

NSW is heaps better at replying to emails, even if it takes 1-2 weeks. QLD just ignores them.

FYI, in QLD you definitely shouldn't be emailing the wildlife department. I know calling them is a pain (government calling systems like to make you jump through hoops), but seriously, pick up the phone and make a phonecall.

When I was trying to get an export license from QLD (which they care about more, because they get money for that), it took phone calls hassling them every day for a week to get them to finally do the damn thing. And that was after calling periodically every couple of weeks after numerous unanswered emails.

NSW is heaps better at replying to emails, even if it takes 1-2 weeks. QLD just ignores them.
I was thinking that a phone call has no record of what was said and could be forgotten about where as an email has traceability and therefore accountability.

I was thinking that a phone call has no record of what was said and could be forgotten about where as an email has traceability and therefore accountability.

Try both. I'm just saying, I've recently dealt with the QLD department and the only way I had success was to ring them every day until they got it done. They even took my money during "processing", but failed to give me my permit until 3 weeks later - NSW on the other hand, was instant. Also I'm pretty sure that when you call, the called gets logged with someone and there is a record of that, and I'm pretty sure all those calls are recorded these days.

report them man they will never learn they don't have the money for a license so there never going to look after these animal's

blue tongue skinks do not need uv, I have kept and bred blue with no uv for years as do a lot of people
Really?
My little tribe of BTS get UV from a 5% UVB CFB. My herp vet told me if I wanted to avoid them getting MBD they needed high Calcium foods, Calcium suppliments and daily UVB either from sun light or a UVB lamp.

report them man they will never learn they don't have the money for a license so there never going to look after these animal's
.... and brace yourself for the offenders' nasty responses , since they probably come here or know people who do and know you are talking about them, and this may all be for nothing as I doubt anything will be done by the authorities.

Really?
My little tribe of BTS get UV from a 5% UVB CFB. My herp vet told me if I wanted to avoid them getting MBD they needed high Calcium foods, Calcium suppliments and daily UVB either from sun light or a UVB lamp.
it isn't needed.... a good diet and calcium supplement is all the need.

hey all just an update, my mate with the two beardys i got him 2 ceramic light globe holders(or whatever the thing you put the globe in is called) and i gave him an infared 60W globe just untill he can get a new UV light and a new infared 75W globe
my mate with the bredli hasnt changed anything and i looked yesterday and there was like 4-5 different poos in the tank and im sorry i clean the poo out of mine the day i see it! i cant bare thinking my snake is slithering all over her poo/:
and yeah my other two mates have got heat lights and have been cleaning there tanks/poo's out(not as much as they should but getting better)
im so glad to see my mates actaully caring abit now! if it goes back to the way it was they will be reported!:)

Giving them free lamps! Thats very good of you. Good to see them changing.

.... and brace yourself for the offenders' nasty responses , since they probably come here or know people who do and know you are talking about them, and this may all be for nothing as I doubt anything will be done by the authorities.

ok ok so we gotta stand up for our rep's anyway we can yuck them and there response's if we really have a love for what we BELIEVE in we should do the right thing no matter what come's between

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back