Some RBBS shots(holding)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
beautiful RBB, whats the protocol if he bites you?
Probably the best question i've ever had!! To be honest, I have a first aid kit, and my place backs onto Monash Hospital. Thats as far as my "bite protocol" goes.

Is it a good idea to bandage up a bite from these guys due to the localized effects the venom can have as opposed to the systemic effects?

Heard a few different views on this and I'm not too keen to try it out myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a good idea to bandage up a bite from these guys

Yes, yes, yes!! Bandage with compression bandage, up to the nearest junction with the torso, back down to the end of the limb, immobilise patient, call 000 and wait for help to come to you.

First aid protocols should be followed irrespective of your experience, the breed, or apparent proximity to help. The one time you don't follow the protocols will be the one time one of the variables is not obvious, and it will be your last time.

The saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt, and you only get one chance to get this wrong!! Lots of respect for free handling vens, Whyme, but even the professional handlers have a plan B for their backup to their safety plan.

Sorry to bring the tone down to serious, but there are newbies looking at these threads who may not have an experienced level head with all the safety protocols that we take for granted as assumed knowledge.

Yeah fair enough bringing it to a more serious level. Reading it again my post did sound a bit casual, I'm just interested in the local vs systemic effects of these guys. I might make my own thread though instead of hijacking this one.

Being new to this site I was hesitant to comment on the free handling as I did not want to get "smashed", but having kept many venomous snakes in my time, from Mambas to spitters, we all (venomous handlers) have moments when we push the boundaries and later think, hmmm not the brightest move by me.. :), but that is normally done in the privacy of our snake rooms. I always have a concern when I see pics of free handling, as what is the message it portrays? I think about the young herpers of the future that see this and think, oh well it should be okay as I saw it on the "snake forum". My comments are not meant to upset or criticize any particular keeper, but show my concern for the impact it may have on the less educated keepers or those seeing a RBB in the wild, thinking they can do the same. (More about the younger generation)
Cheers

I can understand where your coming from bitisbitis, and personally, I wouldn't put up free handling pics either. But I'm tired of hearing stuff like the "less educated getting the wrong idea and trying to copy" etc. Anyone who is stupid enough to think they can free handle a wild large elapid because they seen a photo like the one above on the net, is destined for a short life anyway...People need to start taking responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming others for their own stupidity.

Imo if someone sees free handling elapids on any site and think they can do it, its just natural selection weeding out which of us should not breed.

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

Probably the best question i've ever had!! To be honest, I have a first aid kit, and my place backs onto Monash Hospital. Thats as far as my "bite protocol" goes.

Thanks for the replies. I've always wondered if maybe that should be a part of getting a licence to own vens, knowing the protocol for a bite. Obviously not in Vic, they just take your money.

Being new to this site I was hesitant to comment on the free handling as I did not want to get "smashed", but having kept many venomous snakes in my time, from Mambas to spitters, we all (venomous handlers) have moments when we push the boundaries and later think, hmmm not the brightest move by me.. :), but that is normally done in the privacy of our snake rooms. I always have a concern when I see pics of free handling, as what is the message it portrays? I think about the young herpers of the future that see this and think, oh well it should be okay as I saw it on the "snake forum". My comments are not meant to upset or criticize any particular keeper, but show my concern for the impact it may have on the less educated keepers or those seeing a RBB in the wild, thinking they can do the same. (More about the younger generation)
Cheers
Fair comment :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back