Spotted not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacko2411

Reaction score
Hi,
my 5 yo spotted has stopped eating. The last time he ate was about 4 months ago, I've offered him food atleast once a month but he is not interested at all. Should I be worried or is this normal for snakes of his age?

Is he in good condition? Is he behaving normally?
It's normal for mature males to go of food during the mating season.

If he's in good condition I wouldn't try offering him food again until around late September - early October.
If nothing has changed in his husbandry or behavior I'd just put it down to being Winter.
As for the months before hand. Sometimes it just takes one cold snap (even if it's not Winter yet and especially in Antaresia species) for Pythons to go off their food.
He will soon get his appitite back once it warms up I'm sure.
I would keep a close on his condition/weight and only worry if he starts to lose either rapidly.

Is he in good condition? Is he behaving normally?
It's normal for mature males to go of food during the mating season.

He is in good condition, this has never happened before at any time of the year, could it just be that he is reaching mating age?
Thanks for the help

Yes, since he's in otherwise good condition and given the time of year and his age, it's likely that he's fasting.
Is he pacing the cage more than usual?

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll keep an eye on him and try feeding him again in a few months. Should I take him to a vet if there's no change around October?
Thanks again

You're welcome Jacko. There's probably no need to think about taking him to the vet at this stage.
Just keep fresh water supplied to him and perhaps allow his cage temps to lower a bit in tune with the seasons. It will also help him maintain good condition during his fast. Even if you're not planning on mating him, it's good for their health to have a rest from summertime temps imo.

My 3 year old spotted went off its food (80g-100g rats) 2 and a half weeks ago. How much weight could she possible lose over winter if she weighs in at just over 650g? I do run temps 24 hours a day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back