Anyone live local to munno para to help handle snappy snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

becwatson14

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Im looking for someone who lives locally to munno para west to help handle my very snappy female caramel coastal, she is 7 months old, she is very snappy in and out of her cage, she bites a lot, she has bitten my partner over 10 times, my house mate about 20, me once, and my other house mate in the face once. She has not had a lot of handling until i got her. She was only ever touched when she was taken out to change the newspaper in her click clack and the only other time the lid was open was to feed her, so she associates everything moving with food and threat, i do not have the confidence to handle her like she needs to be to get used to it, so im looking for someone who lives nearby who can come spend some time with us, also make friends. We have 3 other snakes here that do not bite at all, so im used to them, and she is very very timid and snappy, she is okay to handle, but just randomly strikes and bites out of nowhere and at moving things mainly. If you can help please comment below or send a private message.954659_257637997711375_437397557_n.jpg

Give it a day or two and you'll probably get some replies.

Buy gardening gloves and be happy she isn't any bigger. If your still worried with the gloves wear a long sleeve shirt and on those really bad days wrap a scarf around the lower half of your face. Sounds extreme but till she gets use to the handling......... Your gona get tagged.

I don't want her to get used to a glove and not a hand because then without the gloves she will most likely bite, and she gets her fangs stuck in the gloves. I want someone confident that has some spare time to be able to handle her

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

if i was closer i'd help you out.

i have some yearling coastals and they are all nuts and i mean fully nuts. i get tagged multiple times but its part of owning snakes, you get the good and you get the bad.

i have a BHP over 6ft and some days she is ok and other days she wants to kill me. your lucky she is small.

wen you lose the fear and getting tagged does not bother you any more and you are relaxed the snake will also be more relaxed.

I can help out some time over the weekend, but the best advice I can give is be slow and patient, move slowly and deliberately and limit handling to 5-10 mins each time, and let the snake move through your hands rather than grab at it from above, that's how I was with our jungle and now he is just a darling, even my spotted was snappy at first but he has now settled and is also a darling to handle, pm me if you want I am happy to help

It's just part of being a young snake; they are small and get scared easily, so strike. I've had my newest little Jungle girl for half a day and have been tagged nearly 20 times, including the nose. Be brave and keep handling your python, show no fear, and over time it will settle down (most cases).

Hi there,

I also live at Munno Para West and I had my children's python biting me every time I try to handle it. this was 6 months ago and it never bit me since.

My best advice is: keep handling her every day and don't get scared when she bit you (I assume she's still small so it doesn't hurt as much or at all). Also probably try to approach and handle her from the belly that way she won't feel threatened when you try to handle her.

The most important advice is never give up on her. She'll mellow down eventually.

Hope that help.

Chee

Yep. sounds just like my Childreni as well. My hands were all red and full of bite marks on the first week when I got it and it got me in the face a couple of times as well.

If you're not confident in handling her just give it to your partner or housemates who don't mind getting bitten and you can take over once she doesn't get snappy anymore :D

feed it more
leave it alone for a few weeks
then try again

also use a hook to get it out of the enclosure, put it into a separate tub that has its good in it.

IMO I'd say lots of handling took my spotted about 6 months to get out the snappy stage just try to keep a good routine with handling feeding what kinda encloser is snake in lots of hides ???

And wear safety glasses.;)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD

This last peice of advice is excellent I think. Never considered it before but realistically I eyes are very vulnerable. Ill consider wearing them from now on when handling snappy snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back