Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

becwatson14

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I am getting so scared of my snake, i am getting so tempted to give up and sell her and get a hand tame hatchie or something, but i dont want to have to do that, she is a gorgeous snake, but for the last 7 months she hasnt been handled and majorly assotiates hands with food because she was only ever taken out to change newspaper in her click clack, and the only other time the lid was taken off was to feed her... There has got to be something i can do, im scared to hold her, she has bitten everyone in this house including me, she bit my house mate in the face, she just strikes at everything and i dont have the courage to keep handling her because it will take time for her to stop biting. If anyone has any ideas? Or i am considering selling her.

Sell it to someone who won't be bothered by it's temperament.

It is scared of you.
Do the pillowcase method.
Put it in a pillowcase and let it get used to your smell.

No way would I sell unless I had used every method known to humankind to get it to settle.

probably the best thing to do is to come to a realization that your snake is actually harmless and that there is nothing to be afraid of, assuming that it is a juvenile, it may strike and bite all it wants, but unless it actually bites down it really does not hurt. Have you tried just getting it out and holding it on a snake hook that may eventually calm it down but the only real way it will calm down fast is with regular handling, you would of found that if you handled it from the start it would be a pretty calm snake right now. Have you got any friends that have snakes and are fine with snappy pythons? even if you just let them look after until its calmed down would eliminate the need to sell it.

Have you tried using a hook to get her out?

Wear a jumper with the sleeves pulled over your hands, so your skin is in contact with the snake, but it can only bite your sleeves.
They seem to get bored of biting sleeves pretty quickly. :)

It doesn't take much to tame a snake down. Trust me, I've tamed down my chainsaw juvenille jungle (easy!) and my 6ft adult coastal carpet from trying to bite off my face every time he was out, to a pussy cat. It's just a matter of confidence and patience.

The trick is to be completely confident, just reach in and scoop them up before they have the time to retaliate. Hold them calmly for no more than 5 minutes at a time to start and put them away. Slowly work your way up until you can hold them for as long as you like.

There is no need to sell a snake because of temperament, but if you are too afraid, perhaps it would be a better result for the snake to go to a family who is comfortable handling it.

Edit: Also, be aware that hatchies are much more likely to bite then adults as they are tiny and nervous.

Sarah has hit the nail on the head.
I had a very snappy MD but things have changed now.

A combination of me getting him feeding more, not being so worried about getting bitten, and just being more confident with him in general. Has meant that he has calmed right down and I haven't been bitten or even struck at in months.

That still doesnt help me... I am scared to do anything with her, about the only thing i am confident in doing is getting her out with a hook, which she strikes at like crazy, and putting her straight into a pillow case, and holding her with that, but then comes the part of getting her out.... Strike again

I would suggest getting someone who isn't scared of being bitten and has snake knowledge to give you a hand. I helped out a friend of a friend awhile ago with a snappy snake, I'm by no means a highly knowledgeable snake person, but I don't mind if I get chomped on, especially since it was only a spotted python. It chomped me about 4 times, held on for about 5 mins each time and then it got bored and I handled it for a bit and then got the owner to handle it a little, I don't know if she will ever get it out again after I left, but at least she saw it wasn't a nut case and it was possible. Might be worth getting someone in to just check him/her out for you? And then you can go from there?

I am not trying to be mean at all.

But perhaps if you are too scared of the animal to even continue trying, you should pass it on to someone who is more capable and comfortable with reptiles.

Edit: As an additional suggestion, place the pillowcase itself back in her cage and close it. Let her come out in her own time and it will be less stressful.

I would suggest getting someone who isn't scared of being bitten and has snake knowledge to give you a hand. I helped out a friend of a friend awhile ago with a snappy snake, I'm by no means a highly knowledgeable snake person, but I don't mind if I get chomped on, especially since it was only a spotted python. It chomped me about 4 times, held on for about 5 mins each time and then it got bored and I handled it for a bit and then got the owner to handle it a little, I don't know if she will ever get it out again after I left, but at least she saw it wasn't a nut case and it was possible. Might be worth getting someone in to just check him/her out for you? And then you can go from there?

Bite and holding 4 times isn't a nutcase snake at all. It's a hungry one.

If I lived closer I would definitely come and help you out. Unfortunately I am from Goulburn but I do hope someone in your area is able to give you a hand. If you are unable to find someone to help out, I would be happy to 'babysit' her for a few weeks and handle her for you until she is a little more placid.

Why is it so important for it to be a good handler? Just hook it out when you need to clean the cage. The snake will get zero benefit from you handling it.

you are showing no commitment at all, how do you expect something to happen that relies on you if you don't try? he doesn't associate you with food, he associates you as a threat. no snake is completely hand tame. my 2 year old stimsoni has never ever shown any signs of aggression and never tried to bite till the other day when my little cousin came running up and he went for a strike but fortunately missed. anything can happen when keeping reptiles, they aren't domesticated.

look, I understand because sometimes I get iffy getting out my 2 year old south-west carpet python but I still get her out every appropriate night. I am 13 years of age and have figured if I learn now it will be useful in the future. one thing I have come to understand is that if you handle her with complete carefulness, respect and no fast movements. you have to understand that they don't understand you.

Sometimes she is really good, and happily stays still for photos or happily cruises around exploring and other most times she just strikes and bites everything, i am comfortable holding her with gloves but i want her to get used to being held bare skin, but i guess handlig her with gloves still gets her used to being handled in general and i guess that will lead towards her not being so bitey where i dont have to use the gloves in the future

even if you just have the glove on one hand just to pick it up, then let it freely crawl onto your bare hand could be effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back