Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Constricting would be enough to consign said snake to sushi.

Why punish an animal for behaving naturally? They are not tame/domesticated. If your captive python killed your dog, then at the end of the day it is not the fault of either animal's behaviour but it would be due to your error. If you don't take responsibility for the welfare of every animal under your care then you should reassess which and how many captive animals you have. Accidents happen, pets die, you are the one responsible for providing a suitable secure captive life so it is not the animals fault if you fail to ensure their welfare.

slightly off topic
snakes can easily be trained
ask any reptile demonstrator

but by the same token most dogs dont like reptiles
that is especially true of foxies
I personally would never let any foxie near any reptile

If I were you I wouldn't keep a snake... Stick to your dog... The fact that your merely asking these questions suggest that you shouldn't keep a snake...

My dog isn't a Foxie. She's a foxie size breed from overseas & was very good with the royal python I had back home. She likes other animals. All my snakes & dog hang out together without stress. Just never had one big enough to eat the dog.

I would like to see anyone train a BHP not to try and eat a rabbit.

way off topic but that should be fairly easy to do
never feed it mammals
simply feed it its natural prey which does not include rabbits
keep it well fed and in close association with said rabbit
fairly confident that would work most of the time

but the same method would not work on a scrubby olive or carpet

but that was not a true example of training
true examples are easy to find
demonstrators teach snakes to trust them
that trust then lets them hand around snakes like lollypops to strangers and the snakes dont bite
and have no fear of being handled
if that cannot be classified as training then nothing can be

I was going to mention that in conjunction with the fact that every owner (and their kids) of a scrubbie, bhp or burmese hasn't been killed yet.
I wonder if feeding chicks & quail would give the same non mammal eating response. Or if socialization is enough.

danischi
I think you would never have a problem
You cannot go through life expecting the worst scenario
You now know it is possible for a bhp to kill a dog
also possible for same dog to kill the bhp
Simply keep them apart to the best of your ability
Nobody can do more than that

way off topic but that should be fairly easy to do
never feed it mammals
simply feed it its natural prey which does not include rabbits
keep it well fed and in close association with said rabbit
fairly confident that would work most of the time

but the same method would not work on a scrubby olive or carpet

but that was not a true example of training
true examples are easy to find
demonstrators teach snakes to trust them
that trust then lets them hand around snakes like lollypops to strangers and the snakes dont bite
and have no fear of being handled
if that cannot be classified as training then nothing can be
I don't think that what you are suggesting is an easy task, I am sure there are many keepers around the world that would be unable to raise a bhp on a reptile diet and I am not convinced that a hungry bhp that was raised on other reptiles would not eat a rabbit given the chance. I guess you could find a hungry wild bhp and dangle a rabbit in front of it and see what happens.

I was going to mention that in conjunction with the fact that every owner (and their kids) of a scrubbie, bhp or burmese hasn't been killed yet.
I wonder if feeding chicks & quail would give the same non mammal eating response. Or if socialization is enough.
I think if a person was the size of the prey item that the snake ate it would be a different story. Most snakes will not try to eat something that is too big for it.

If on the odd chance it does happen, the snake gets out and eats your dog, would you be willing to post pictures .... just wondering. Secondly if the snake makes your dog its dominated life partner will that require a special outfit for said dog?

I could post before & after pics like the outside of the snake & then the inside :lol:
My dog is spayed so I'm not sure that she's into role play :p
If its an albino though, I'm keeping it for display & I'll try to prove out the morph :p

It would be impossible for a BHP to kill anything if it was in an escape proof enclosure with a lock.

They will probably become best friends over the years however, should the python escape he may make your dog its nympho, in which case you may end up with some kind of strange snake/dog hybrid which i know for a fact DERM will not approve of so you may have to dispose of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The dog will be dead before a hatchling bhp would reach a size to pose any real risk...

I don't think that what you are suggesting is an easy task, I am sure there are many keepers around the world that would be unable to raise a bhp on a reptile diet and I am not convinced that a hungry bhp that was raised on other reptiles would not eat a rabbit given the chance. I guess you could find a hungry wild bhp and dangle a rabbit in front of it and see what happens..

I never suggested that they would be together when the snake was hungry
in fact I implied the exact opposite
why would a keeper keep a snake if they couldnt supply the natural diet?
we change the diet of reptile eating snakes to suit ourselves and what we prefer
what we do is often detrimental to the long term well being of the snake ex; fatty liver disease
mammals are not the natural diet of bhps and womas so if they had never been tempted with mammals they probably would ignore them and find a nice lizard or snake instead
unless of course, they were very hungry, which could change things

Keeping ANY animal requires a commitment to safe and responsible care giving . The more dangerous the animal the more precautions you need to take . If you do not feel capable of handling the situation , such as NOT letting the snake and dog play together , then maybe you should decline the offer of the Blackhead . :]

I never suggested that they would be together when the snake was hungry
in fact I implied the exact opposite
why would a keeper keep a snake if they couldnt supply the natural diet?
we change the diet of reptile eating snakes to suit ourselves and what we prefer
what we do is often detrimental to the long term well being of the snake ex; fatty liver disease
mammals are not the natural diet of bhps and womas so if they had never been tempted with mammals they probably would ignore them and find a nice lizard or snake instead
unless of course, they were very hungry, which could change things
The original post was asking if the snake could kill the dog and then if the snake could be trained not to and asked for worst case scenario. So unless he is going to breed reptiles to feed his bhp and always keep it fed so it doesn't become hungry I will still stick by my statement that it is something that can not be done. Continually feeding a snake so it doesn't become hungry is worse for a bhp than feeding it mammals in a controlled manner.

I could post before & after pics like the outside of the snake & then the inside :lol:
My dog is spayed so I'm not sure that she's into role play :p
If its an albino though, I'm keeping it for display & I'll try to prove out the morph :p

I'm so glad you have a sense of humour haha! :)

Would chicks & quail be a good option as feeders? I should get the freezer stock of snakes from one of the big breeders :)
Still on the fence about getting the hatchy & I need my mind made up by tonight.
Should be like 5 years before albinos are on the market properly cause there are a fair amount of hets out there now.
And I'm a she guys.

chicks and quail are good options
mixed diet is good for any snakes
as pointed out before a hatchy will take a few years before it could ever take on a dog
In your position I would get it
take usual precautions and enjoy your new pet
under normal circumstances the snake and dog never actually have to meet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back