breeding GREEN TREE FROGS help please! :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jazii

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at breed my gtfs in the coming seasons but wanting to know if, as with snakes, they need any 'pre-breeding' conditioning, as in cooling or what not, I have done my reading, and know what I'm in for just thought id throw the questions out there, also any tips, or 'I wish I had known' would be greatly appreciated :)

Now that would be great family project to do with young children or young grandchildren.

A dry season of 4-6 weeks should be given before attempting to breed. You them can increase humidity by heavily misted their enclosure. Once they are in the mood it is best to move them into a rain chamber type setup.

Will a tank filled out 10cm of water a just a few rocks slightly above the surface your frogs should lay eggs within two weeks. A thunderstorm track on repeat should get them croaking and in the mood to breed.

How many of each sex do you currently have? Best to keep 2-3 males per female.

Rick

A dry season of 4-6 weeks should be given before attempting to breed. You them can increase humidity by heavily misted their enclosure. Once they are in the mood it is best to move them into a rain chamber type setup.

Will a tank filled out 10cm of water a just a few rocks slightly above the surface your frogs should lay eggs within two weeks. A thunderstorm track on repeat should get them croaking and in the mood to breed.

Rick
Hey guys, you all probably know but never put tap water in with your tadpoles, the chemicals in the tap water may/ most likely will kill all the tadpoles.

Rick

I cuurently have about 2-3 females and about 7-8 males and a few more unknowns, and dry season? as in no misting or what? as half of them are currently in a tank with a water fall and about 10cm heated water in the bottom, and the other half are in a tank with about 5cms of heated water, still no movement tho, mistings every 2-3 days when I mist my geckos, daylight 7:30am-5:30pm at the moment on automatic timers, water temp set at 28 degrees and air temp about 28 during the day, with heat lights, and is left to cool to room temp + water heat at night

I cuurently have about 2-3 females and about 7-8 males and a few more unknowns, and dry season? as in no misting or what? as half of them are currently in a tank with a water fall and about 10cm heated water in the bottom, and the other half are in a tank with about 5cms of heated water, still no movement tho, mistings every 2-3 days when I mist my geckos, daylight 7:30am-5:30pm at the moment on automatic timers, water temp set at 28 degrees and air temp about 28 during the day, with heat lights, and is left to cool to room temp + water heat at night

No misting an im pretty sure ya need to slow down feeds or stop all together. Once you have done this for 4-6 weeks you need to mist then heavily.

The best way to get them to lay is moving them into a rain chamber tank after then have started to becom active again, normally wont lay in their normal tank.

Rick

No misting an im pretty sure ya need to slow down feeds or stop all together. Once you have done this for 4-6 weeks you need to mist then heavily.

The best way to get them to lay is moving them into a rain chamber tank after then have started to becom active again, normally wont lay in their normal tank.

Rick

alright cheers man! have you bred them before?

Sorry to bring up an older thread but at what age do green tree frogs become mature enough to breed?

Rick

Did I read your quote correctly...but no food for up to 6 weeks?
That sounds fine for a snake but I'd be a bit worried suggesting that for frogs.

I'm just saying I've got GTF's myself & I can't see them going without food for more than a week.

Did I read your quote correctly...but no food for up to 6 weeks?
That sounds fine for a snake but I'd be a bit worried suggesting that for frogs.

I'm just saying I've got GTF's myself & I can't see them going without food for more than a week.

I think i may of said it wrong. In a dry spell they will slow down feeding, thus not eating as much as normal. Adult gtf's have pretty good fat reserves so not feeding for a few weeks shouldnt effect them too much, they are opportunist feeders and will gorge themselves when food is available.

Once you bring the rain they will start to stuff their faces but again once it comes to breeding you will need to stop feeding for a couple weeks, especially once they are in a rain chamber.

My marsh frogs are the same. No change in climate at all but i stopped feeding for around 2 weeks and all 3 females produced viable spawns.

Considering frogs eggs are fertilised outside the body unlike snakes/lizards they seem to start producing eggs once feeding have stopped. Im no expert and this is just my opinion.

Rick

Cheers for the extended info Rick.

I just know with my GTFs that if they're hungry, they'll even go for my fingers so I can easily imagine a starving GTF might turn on its companions.

Cheers for the extended info Rick.

I just know with my GTFs that if they're hungry, they'll even go for my fingers so I can easily imagine a starving GTF might turn on its companions.

I think the worst for eating each other are the bells frogs, very aggressive feeders from what i have heard.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back