Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not be putting them together to breed is you are not sure if they have been cooled or do not know what it is. A cooling period improves sperm development in males and also aids the production of ovum in females. It basically triggers snakes to breed and increases the chances of viable eggs.

Sometimes it's better not to breed until you are completely ready!. Incubators need to be set up, hatchie tubs and racks need to be set up. Then food needs to be sourced. Then the hatchies need to be fed. so on and so on!!!! Are you REALLY ready to breed????

I wouldn't suggest trying breeding until you are absolutely confident in your abilities to provide for them. Not knowing about cooling is one thing, it would be best that you do some thorough researched before trying to breed your snakes, then if you still have questions to ask people on APS.

No offense intended but judging by your previous threads and queries, I think you have quite a lot more to learn before thinking of breeding. Get your basics and obvious husbandry requirements sorted before tackling breeding as if you have to ask the question, be sure you are ready for the answers.

Just my opinion..

Last edited:
Pretty much what everyone else has said. Plus, you didn't even tell us how old, Size/Weight/Length... Anything at all about them really.
No point even trying to breed two Pythons if they aren't confirmed male and female.
For that matter. Confirmed a second time just to be sure. Read about a lot of sexings that have turned out wrong.
Not only that but they have to be up to size and sexually mature. It's not just as simple as chucking two Snakes in together and hoping for the best. It could end very badly.
Don't take this the wrong way... I'm just going by your previous posts. I doubt you'd intervene if one Bredli attacked the other.

Keep in mind I'm only going off what I've read/researched and from my own experience with Pythons. Limited as it may be. Only kept them just over a year.
And yes I've made mistakes (We all do.) Wost one as of late was that I forgot to seperate my new Coastals before feeding and it was on. For about 15-30 seconds. Until I seperated them.
I didn't even think about it at the time because all my other Pythons are seperated and have their own enclosure where as the Coastals came together. Wont be making that mistake again that's for sure.
Edit: For those who might be wondering I've checked them over and can't see any obvious battle scars (or blood) and they are still feeding, acting normal, seem fine.

Last edited:
look mate give em a chance first off the bat, WAIT till you breed them it will not only increase the survival rate but also take more stress off of your rep's if you evaluate your reptile's willingly without any hope for egg's it's a much less tedious experience for both animal's if you can't house or care for these bub's don't bother in time......

No offense intended but judging by your previous threads and queries, I think you have quite a lot more to learn before thinking of breeding. Get your basics and obvious husbandry requirements sorted before tackling breeding as if you have to ask the question, be sure you are ready for the answers.

Just my opinion..

I am 100% with SniperCap on this 1, you are afraid of being bitten by a 7 month old coastal now so how are you going to be with 10-15 hatchling Bredli' coz thats all they want to do, and with fussy feeders you are deff going to be hands on with at least assist feeding some of them. I am no expert on cooling or breeding thats a questoin for the breeders to answer, but IMHO you have to get a handle of your fear of getting bitten before you attempt breeding, ie what are you going to do when upon introduction it does not go well and you have 2 large adrenaline charged Bredli' with a lot bigger teeth than a 7 month old Coastal to deal with ???. I think you need to stick with what you are doing now and get your confidence levels up before you tackle something like breeding, just my opinion :) .....................................Ron

Read my thread about breeding introductions and think what you would do if there was a mistake and a fight. In my case, two experienced keepers were standing by and leapt in to separate animals immediately. Could you do that? A full grown Bredl is a big animal... Could you take the female off her eggs to incubate them? Even if planning on maternal incubation, there are cases where you may have to remove her. Bredl females of breeding age are even bigger than the males (at least 3kg)... Could you find homes for babies? Bredls are very common and there is little market for the offspring unless they are really special. Do you have room for a hatchling rack and the money to set this up and to buy a couple hundred fuzzy mice to feed them? Do you have the time and experience to get 20-30 hatchlings feeding? Anyone considering breeding must think hard about all of these questions.

Pythons can successfully breed without cooling, so throw them in together.... Best way to learn is to actually do it. Even if you read everything there is to know, people on here will still tell you not to. Have fun

My question is why do u want to breed them. There are alot of hatchies for sale, unless you have special animals that stand out you may be stuck with babies you cant rehome. I dont think breeding should be done just because. If you do have some gorgeous animals you want to breed what is the harm in waiting until you are armed with all the knowledge you can. And maybe by the snappiest hatchy you can so you are prepared for lots of bites lol

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

My question is why do u want to breed them. There are alot of hatchies for sale, unless you have special animals that stand out you may be stuck with babies you cant rehome. I dont think breeding should be done just because. If you do have some gorgeous animals you want to breed what is the harm in waiting until you are armed with all the knowledge you can. And maybe by the snappiest hatchy you can so you are prepared for lots of bites lol

no one ever will get stuck with snakes, you might not get the price you want tho... people breed normal looking coastals and sell them for $50ea not everyone wants or can afford an expensive snake. Also a few people have put two ordinary snakes together and produce so out standing stuff.

no one ever will get stuck with snakes, you might not get the price you want tho... people breed normal looking coastals and sell them for $50ea not everyone wants or can afford an expensive snake. Also a few people have put two ordinary snakes together and produce so out standing stuff.
Maybe they could be sold as bhp food in the thread I have posted the link to.

[h=1]Could a bhp eat/kill an 8 kg dog?[/h]

I meant they may not be sold quickly and the breeder will have to house/feed them until they are sold. I just think more thought has to go into them before breeding. Its just my opinion.

Pythons can successfully breed without cooling, so throw them in together.... Best way to learn is to actually do it. Even if you read everything there is to know, people on here will still tell you not to. Have fun

good on ya mate i would say the same thing, im going to do just that this year and see how it goes.

No point even trying to breed two Pythons if they aren't confirmed male and female.
For that matter. Confirmed a second time just to be sure. Read about a lot of sexings that have turned out wrong.

Quick way to find out their sex it to put them together. You can never be sure until you get mating and eggs. It would be fairly rare for two males to kill each other in captivity.

They breed fairly late so as ramsayi said, pair them up in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back