Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just for the record I hope someone can figure out the trick to breeding these guys and they become as readily available as darwins because everyone should own one, they are the ultimate python

just for the record I hope someone can figure out the trick to breeding these guys and they become as readily available as darwins because everyone should own one, they are the ultimate python
I think that their size would keep a lot of people from owning them.

Lack of demand?

I'd guess that someone will eventually stumble on the "magic technique" to get them to breed consistently. I've personally heard a couple of theories so it's possible. We can only hope. I want to be able to afford one of these guys in the future

I don't think there is a Magic technique to the albino Olives.... I think more accurately you are looking for the magic animal as most of them IMO are infertile or close to it.... Some kind of recessive infertility issue.... Not surprising really.

I don't think there is a Magic technique to the albino Olives.... I think more accurately you are looking for the magic animal as most of them IMO are infertile or close to it.... Some kind of recessive infertility issue.... Not surprising really.

Are you sure it is directly related to albinism? Even normal olives are notoriously hard to get to ovulate especially down south. I've missed mine last two seasons despite countless matings and good condition and cycling.

My Male seems to be doing his job well... let's see what results from it thou.
Sorry crappy IPhone pics thou glass but I did not want to disturb them.

Attachments

• Male mating big girl 10.6.13.jpg
    Male mating big girl 10.6.13.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 296
Are you sure it is directly related to albinism? Even normal olives are notoriously hard to get to ovulate especially down south. I've missed mine last two seasons despite countless matings and good condition and cycling.

I think so..... Would be interesting to know how many are born from Het pairings which in my opinion goes a long way to proving this ??? But I admit it is only a theory.

I think so..... Would be interesting to know how many are born from Het pairings which in my opinion goes a long way to proving this ??? But I admit it is only a theory.

My theory, and once again only a theory, but albino's are likely power fed and may be carrying a little extra weight when bred which is understandable. From what I can gather most people who regularly breed olives keep there stock relatively lean. Maybe people aren't putting in as much time with the Hets hence they're leaner and do a bit better?

My ultimate goal has always been to own Olives and since I first saw the Albinos it has made me drool lol. Unfortunately I can't see myself affording an Albino anytime soon but Hets are within a reasonable price range (as long as you are careful to get them from a breeder that actually owns Albinos). I think the only way I will achieve owning an Albino is to buy a pair of Hets and put in the research and work into breeding them.

I love all Olives, Albino's are just magical though, the one at SOFAR expo (Snake Ranch), was just awesome and I am just smitten with them, I would love to own one as just a pet someday.

I agree with pretty much most people above me. They are hard to breed, low fertility = higher price.
So personally I think $5k is reasonable.

I mean people sell mongrel dogs for over a thousand bucks now, why not pay $5k for a sexy snake? ;)

My theory, and once again only a theory, but albino's are likely power fed and may be carrying a little extra weight when bred which is understandable. From what I can gather most people who regularly breed olives keep there stock relatively lean. Maybe people aren't putting in as much time with the Hets hence they're leaner and do a bit better?

I think there would be incidence of this yes...... & a point many people forget when looking at these recessive projects is the history of the animal that the founder animal was paired with ???? has this animal been paired at any stage with any siblings ???????????? if not then how do you know what recessive nasties it might have been hiding ???????????? which would of course appear when all the original hets are paired.

I have found the same with Albino Blueys in regard to low vigour & poor reproduction & have put a male over a line of Kimberley Blueys which has some captive history of in breeding with no ill effects with big strong viable litters. I have produced the resultant albinos & vigour seems to have been improved with final breeding results still a year away however.......... I believe that Albino Olives need to be crossed with 2 or 3 different lines of robust multi generation captive Olives in the same manner...... years of work....... not magic either...... just a step back to take many forward..... somebody may have done this ?????

& here is a pic that I never get tired of :)

Attachments

• DSCF0020.jpg
    DSCF0020.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
I think there would be incidence of this yes...... & a point many people forget when looking at these recessive projects is the history of the animal that the founder animal was paired with ???? has this animal been paired at any stage with any siblings ???????????? if not then how do you know what recessive nasties it might have been hiding ???????????? which would of course appear when all the original hets are paired.

I have found the same with Albino Blueys in regard to low vigour & poor reproduction & have put a male over a line of Kimberley Blueys which has some captive history of in breeding with no ill effects with big strong viable litters. I have produced the resultant albinos & vigour seems to have been improved with final breeding results still a year away however.......... I believe that Albino Olives need to be crossed with 2 or 3 different lines of robust multi generation captive Olives in the same manner...... years of work....... not magic either...... just a step back to take many forward..... somebody may have done this ?????

Very interesting thoughts, I hope someone has started this long process. I was unaware that large albino olives had a few bands on them. Thanks for the picture.

That pic looks familiar......... Oh yeah, I think i fed her that chicken!!:lol: She is the reason I want one so badddd!!

Aren't the bands just skin creases? Normal olives get them as well.

I was just reading up on axanthic coastals and was gobsmacked to see the asking price of $6000. I would definitely prefer an albino olive for $1000 less...at least they look noticeably different to their wild type.

I was just reading up on axanthic coastals and was gobsmacked to see the asking price of $6000. I would definitely prefer an albino olive for $1000 less...at least they look noticeably different to their wild type.

It's the combination morphs that make axanthics desirable though

It's the combination morphs that make axanthics desirable though
on this topic, I am curious to know what traits combined with other traits produce which sort of "morph"...is there a thread on that? and have any of these morphs even been done yet or is it just theories based on ball python results?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back