Escaped Atherton Jungle in my apartment :/

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cazzamon

Hi everyone! So I have been on holidays for a few weeks and had my bf was kind enough to check yup on my 4 y.o python Newt - and to my dismay she has escaped her cage and is no where to be seen! What a sneaky girl.

It's the start of winter now and I don't have indoor heating in the house so I'm freaking out - seeking advice!

My bf has looked everywhere - on top of things, under fridges, units, sofas, behind all furniture, boxes etc and nothing! She is two meters long and heavy, so surely it can't be that hard to spot her curled somewhere? I live in a small one bedder too.

My concern is that she is due for a shed and it's starting to get cold - if she went into hibernation and we can't find her what should I do? Wait patiently? Leave food out in her cage every few days? Leave the heat lamp on to see if she comes back for warmth when winter is over!?

I understand that snakes are able to survive a very long time without food... so I guess the key here is patience. But it's so annoying :p

I guess she'll mostly come out at night. Mostly...

Thanks y'all.

Caz.

You'd be surprised how good they are at staying hidden. Our Darwin (about 5 foot) was missing in our house for 7 months with not a trace to be seen before she reappeared in the kitchen one morning.

You could try baiting her, leave a thawed rat out and wait patiently, you may have to leave it overnight and keep a night watch. Probably be an idea to drag the rat over the floors so she catches the scent, she will hunt it down!

But to help,
people say get a heater out turn and put a deforsted mice close to where you most likely think she is and just keep checking overnight or if you have tiles/floorboards put flour i think it was on the floor and in doorways so if she slides through it, you'll see:)

just some ideas for if you've checked the house mostly already and convinced she is still around somewhere it's common that they'll hide under a washing machine or fridge, i'd check fridge first since it's probably on and the snake would be keeping nice and warm in there

My spotted has escaped 3 times and he never goes far lucky for me. Look around its enclourse maybe she's closer then u think also make sure she can't get out of the apartment . Block the Doors and windows and look everywhere . Even in the smallest spots , when u do find her take a pic and show us please. Good luck

If its cold the snake wont be interested in food . just leave a nice warm heat source and get up to check a few times during the nite . Good luck .

Thank you everyone for your tips! We tried the flour trick and bait but nothing worked - I flew back over the weekend and when I came home we tried searching for the fifth time and eventually found her despite my epic jet lag. I just missed her so much.

We diverted our attention upward towards the ceiling and found a gap in between the kitchen cabinets which lead to the fuse box - at first we though she crawled through the hole in the wall where the wires are sticking out but we decided to dismantle the box itself and she was totally curled up in there!

It was very easy to grab her out without a struggle as she was slow and cold. Tried feeding her after I returned her to the cage and nothing. So I am going to wait and see if she starts going into blue soon.

Thanks again for your ideas and responses.

a friend of mine lost his jungle last year and i only just heard he found it 6 weeks later in some duct in the ceiling of his kitchen, who'd have thought they find a way into the roof like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back